Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alot of thought and hard thinking I've come to the conclusion I am gonna get rid of my 53' lq and my kw sportchassis. I bought the trailer with the intention of doing overnight races but things are changing and I dont simply have the time to do that and I dont need that huge of a trailer anymore. Likewise I bought the kw to pull that trailer but now I've purchased another dually and thought simply of just getting a 34' tag for simplicity. I hate selling my rig and I know like hell I'm gonna regret it but it just makes sense to me in the long run to do so. So has anyone downsized their rig drastically and not hated the decision to do so??

·
Registered
65,886 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is this ---- lets say you decide not sell it, are you ok with all that money just sitting there? Assuming you would still be paying insurance on both items.

P.S. If you're going to purchase an enclosed trailer that long, to pull behind your new dually -- forego the tag and get a GN.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sold the KW today..quickest sale ever. As far as trailer goes I dont have to sell my gn but it's too big for my needs now. I've thought about another gn but not sure. I got my eye on a intech that fits my needs perfect. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Might be apples to oranges but we did downsize too. All my life I've had 1/2 ton trucks and open trailers. I thought a few years ago I had to have an enclosed trailer so that we could attend races further away, stay overnight etc. Had the enclosed 3 years and felt guilty amopbout never using it, paying insurance, keeping it stored out of the brutal Texas sun, getting an inspection every year ... We ended up selling it and buying a nice steel deck open trailer to pull behind our dually. More than a year later I couldn't be happier and for all that we need it everything worked out great. We race every so often locally, attend some car shows, use the trailer for our UTV ... and I don't feel guilty about not using or having the enclosed. Your seller's remorse (if you have it) will pass. At this point in my life it was time to be realistic about what I was actually going to do and not what I thought I wanted to do.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That helped me alot. I appreciate that! Just choosing a trailer that I need more than I want is the issue lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That helped me alot. I appreciate that! Just choosing a trailer that I need more than I want is the issue lol
You're welcome. I really don't think you'll regret going smaller once you figure out what you actually want. And yes, I know picking out the right one can be difficult ... but it sounds like you have time to figure it out. Also, and I don't know if it's the same where you are, but the last 2 trailers that I've sold (the enclosed being one of them) I was actually able to sell used for more than what a new one would have cost the buyer. Granted, they were nice, barely used, well taken care of but I've never understood how I could sell them so quickly and for more than new.

·
T/S 368E
26,372 Posts

I would pick a 40 footer over the big TAG any day.
Only a couple of feet longer, but a much much better tow, you already have the truck set up!!
The space will be there, with out the monster trailer you have now!!!

I would be willing to help you out, being the nice guy I am!!!
If you just have too much damn money and keep over buying what you need!!!
Send me a bunch to finish up my junk and you won't be able to buy what you want, and only get what you need!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol if I had your money I wouldn't worry about selling my rig lol I appreciate all the info..and dont kill me but I got a hell of a deal yesterday on a 34'. Loaded out with more cabinets than I've ever seen in a trailer, has 2 ac units, electric jack, two electric awnings out the door for $26k. Couldn't pass it up!!

·
T/S 368E
26,372 Posts

Just remember, you have been used to the 5th wheel!!
No wiping out any stop signs or mail boxes with the new TAG!!!

FOr the record, my old POS truck, trailer, car, engine, trans didn't cost $26,000 MR. Money bags!!!
OK, I lied, have fun, good luck & race safe!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol You probably got a big renegade toter and 48' stacker I dont know about lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Lol if I had your money I wouldn't worry about selling my rig lol I appreciate all the info..and dont kill me but I got a hell of a deal yesterday on a 34'. Loaded out with more cabinets than I've ever seen in a trailer, has 2 ac units, electric jack, two electric awnings out the door for $26k. Couldn't pass it up!!
Congratulations on the new trailer! I'm in the minority on YB as I don't think buy giant. 34' should be a nice happy medium. Now get that monster trailer sold!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are trying!!! That 53' is a beautiful trailer and it was good to me the whole 2 or 3 I used it lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
On your KW did you have a DOT pasted to the side? log book?
Many moons ago in TN the scale house officer went nuts on me for having it on private use truck. GA scale house officer said I better have it. So much confusion on this and varies by the state employees opinion.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Class A never worried about it. Had private use on the side of truck and not for hire on the trailer. Had couple DOT cops pass me and never was worried over it. Went past 2 open scale houses and never stopped.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So no DOT number? No IFTA stickers? Go out of your home state with no issues? This has been pestering me for years that the DOT cops can do anything at will to someone using an 18 wheeler for hobby\pleasure use. It's like walking on egg shells in the Southeast trying to do a hobby with something larger than a pickup, it can vary by their mood and\or personality of what I receive from them. Sorry to side track your thread.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No you arent side tracking at all. To answer your questions no I never had any of that. IFTA and DOT or MC numbers are for commercial for hire companies aka hot shot people or a trucking firm. My truck was registered at 26,000 lbs. 26,001 requires cdl..so I could drive that truck all day with no cdl..the moment I hooked my trailer or any trailer it went over 26,000 which required a cdl but I did not have to cross scales. Went past the scales in NC several times never blinked an eye or worried. Here in Va they go by overall length and weight to determine need for cdl. Here technically if you had a dually and say a 48 or 53' trailer they wanted you to have a cdl but they never pushed it.

·
T/S 368E
26,372 Posts

Not me, I'm too poor, still using the old F-250 7.3 with a spare 3500 454" as my tow vehicles.

I am hoping to do an ambulance L/Q's tow vehicle if work stays steady :) as a replacement for the F-250.
I am glad you are getting your stuff settled and hope you get to race more this season!!!
Be safe!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey that ambulance lq sounds sweet. Yes I do too brother..Last year work took over and had to sit much of it out. I dont race much during June and july too fricken hot but hopefully this year get out more.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
If I downsized my tow rig any further than what it is I would be flat towing or maybe even driving my car to the track. My set up consists of a junky bracket beater being hauled by a 21 yo pickup and a 30 yo open trailer. I wish I had the OP's problems.

·
T/S 368E
26,372 Posts

That's why I'm spending a ton of dough on the old no-box car.
The damn T/S takes too much work & help to run.
This year I joined the series for track championship, so I can jump in & go by myself!!
Yes it's 2 seconds slower, but at least I can run her by myself when needed and just get my ass back out there!!!

I don't want to hear about too hot, it's frigging 3* right now :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts