Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who make the heads for doug herbert they say there not chinese junk so what are they. i am gettin ready to build a 468 for a friend and he is thinkin about buyin these heads but he dont want a procomp knock off.

·
Registered
900 Posts
who make the heads for doug herbert they say there not chinese junk so what are they. i am gettin ready to build a 468 for a friend and he is thinkin about buyin these heads but he dont want a procomp knock off.
it is procomp i have some but they put there own stuff on them or whatever you want just pay the difference . i have no problems with mines

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
patriot .....320 cc.......love mine !

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Doug Herbert BB Chevy heads in question are NOT Pro Comp heads.
We have looked at these heads and they do not meet our standards to put our name on them.
The current casting we use is a off shore bare casting we bring in and the following are the parts we put in our heads.
The put a Severe duty valve in these heads, our Doug Herbert Performance 10 degree Chrome Moly retainers or our 10 Degree Titanium Retainers.
We put our Performance or Alpha Valve Springs according to the Camshaft that will be used in the customers Application.
We put Dart adjustable guide plates and ARP studs to finish them off.
We put these heads on a 555 street engine with a hydraulic roller cam that makes over 700 HP
Just wanted to post "facts" about our heads and thanks to all our valued customers that have had great success with our heads!

·
Registered
900 Posts
We have looked at these heads and they do not meet our standards to put our name on them.
The current casting we use is a off shore bare casting we bring in and the following are the parts we put in our heads.
The put a Severe duty valve in these heads, our Doug Herbert Performance 10 degree Chrome Moly retainers or our 10 Degree Titanium Retainers.
We put our Performance or Alpha Valve Springs according to the Camshaft that will be used in the customers Application.
We put these heads on a 555 street engine with a hydraulic roller cam that makes over 700 HP
Just wanted to post "facts" about our heads and thanks to all our valued customers that have had great success with our heads!
well i have reciepts to prove it and it has a procomp part #s on it. all the parts are there and the head does work but it is procomp

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Where are they cast and machined?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I dont post much anymore and probably shouldnt post this and have nothing against this person in the quote and probably know who it is but when I worked at Doug Herberts and built the engines which my last year there I belive was 2008 or 2009 the heads used then were procomp.

Things may have changed like everything else there did LOL but I built the heads and built the race motors we sold and I know they were procomp unless the customer requested a different head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am sure glad we have such ultra smart guys on this sight. Back in 2009 we did bring in the Pro Comp casting PC-3021 and because the rectangular port was terrible we port matched that casting to a FelPro 1275 to make it nice and put our GOOD parts in them to make them a respectfuly nice head. We had ZERO problems with those heads at the time, but as we always are trying to do found a much better casting to use. We have NOT used the pro Comp casting for 3 years, but I will now change the part # on the bare castings we currently use. The PC-3021 we use is just a reference point to us as a BB Chevy aluminum bare head. The one thing I will say about the Bullet is it has many members that all they want to do is slam, talk crap, and throw stones. To any of you that would like to stop by our facility and look at what we do, talk to our engine builder, look at how we assemble and inspect the heads we put together, come by anytime. I have been in the performance business for 35 years and am pround of the product we put together here. We are constatly looking at parts to bring in so we have the ability to offer our valued customers super deals that are second to none. I am a consumer also, so I understand we are all looking for more bang for our buck and we truly try to provide that to our customers. I guess I came from that old school where If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all. I could slam our competitors, talk crap, but chosse to tell people about us and what we will try to do better for them in their experience using us as a supplier. Thanks again to all or valued customers who have had great experiences with our product mix and continue to support Doug Herbert Performance!
Wishing all a great 2013 racing season!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
While I haven't purchased much from Doug Herbert Performance, I will say the stuff I did purchase I was happy with, and the customer service was excellent. I really don't get the purpose of bashing companies on here, it's really gotten to the point of asinine......if you don't like a product someone sells, don't buy it. Me personally, I wouldn't touch something from Pro Comp if my life depended on it, but bashing really serves no purpose. People are going to buy it because it's cheap. There are lots of people running it successfully too, regardless of what's been said about it.

Now if someone asks specifically about a part, and you have personal experience with it, sure, give them an honest evaluation of the part. But you don't have to bash the retailer...........

Just my two cents........

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
I am sure glad we have such ultra smart guys on this sight. Back in 2009 we did bring in the Pro Comp casting PC-3021 and because the rectangular port was terrible we port matched that casting to a FelPro 1275 to make it nice and put our GOOD parts in them to make them a respectfuly nice head. We had ZERO problems with those heads at the time, but as we always are trying to do found a much better casting to use. We have NOT used the pro Comp casting for 3 years, but I will now change the part # on the bare castings we currently use. The PC-3021 we use is just a reference point to us as a BB Chevy aluminum bare head. The one thing I will say about the Bullet is it has many members that all they want to do is slam, talk crap, and throw stones. To any of you that would like to stop by our facility and look at what we do, talk to our engine builder, look at how we assemble and inspect the heads we put together, come by anytime. I have been in the performance business for 35 years and am pround of the product we put together here. We are constatly looking at parts to bring in so we have the ability to offer our valued customers super deals that are second to none. I am a consumer also, so I understand we are all looking for more bang for our buck and we truly try to provide that to our customers. I guess I came from that old school where If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all. I could slam our competitors, talk crap, but chosse to tell people about us and what we will try to do better for them in their experience using us as a supplier. Thanks again to all or valued customers who have had great experiences with our product mix and continue to support Doug Herbert Performance!
Wishing all a great 2013 racing season!

I was going to delete the thread as it serves no good purpose, but figured I would give your first answer some time to stand, saying that you didn't use a Pro Comp casting. Figured, why delete the thread right after they responded to clear things up.

Then an ex employee comes on and says yes, it is a pro comp casting.

Now your response is, 'ok it was a pro comp casting at one point'....

Not for anything other than to desire that things be clear, but you should have stated all this in your first response that way things would have been more understood.

AS for the Bullet. Sure, there is a lot of mud but there is also a lot of great information and there are many, many great members here, so I do have to take note that while you are here defensively slamming the site, YOU ARE STILL HERE FREQUENTING THE SITE.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was going to delete the thread as it serves no good purpose, but figured I would give your first answer some time to stand, saying that you didn't use a Pro Comp casting. Figured, why delete the thread right after they responded to clear things up.

Then an ex employee comes on and says yes, it is a pro comp casting.

Now your response is, 'ok it was a pro comp casting at one point'....

Not for anything other than to desire that things be clear, but you should have stated all this in your first response that way things would have been more understood.

AS for the Bullet. Sure, there is a lot of mud but there is also a lot of great information and there are many, many great members here, so I do have to take note that while you are here defensively slamming the site, YOU ARE STILL HERE FREQUENTING THE SITE.
agreeing with what chris said, it was never my intention to slam the company bcs i still buy stuff there but i know what head i have and was trying to be honest , the heads they sent me were awesome and i still hv them never had 1 problem DOUGHERBERT IS A GREAT CO. to deal with.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had to go back and re-read. I see no slamming of the company going on. You say it's not pro comp as pro comp doesn't meet your standards. A couple people point out that it is or was pro comp. Now you admit it was pro comp at one point and jump all over the guys who pointed it out. And you're still using the pro comp part#

I've been checking out BBC heads myself and was my only reason for checking out this thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the record, TODAY"S DHP current BBC head is not a Pro Comp. DHP has sold Pro Comp heads for years, (WHO HAS NOT) Price sells. Always has, always will.

That being said, todays head is cast overseas. the current head is a lot better construction for durability. IT IS A BUDGET HEAD!

It is "BUDGET MINDED PURCHASE"
Has perfect port, guide, and seat alignment, consistant valve guides and seats. ( the very issues with the Pro Comps)

We purchase them bare and build them in house with quality USA made parts DHP has sold for years. They are great head for the money.

If you (or anyone) think these heads are best performing, let me sell you some sand and call it beach. They are not, but we have used them on some high & moderate compression BBC with good success & durability.

If you’re building a car that you can’t drive to the track, you’re probably not looking for a budget friendly set of cylinder heads anyway.
Looking for an entry level set of heads for street, given that GM factory production heads commonly had runner volumes of 230 to 270 cc. The heads we have are good choices for an application that is intended to be higher performing than stock and still used on the street for daily driving.

IMHO
Al

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
For the record, TODAY"S DHP current BBC head is not a Pro Comp. DHP has sold Pro Comp heads for years, (WHO HAS NOT) Price sells. Always has, always will.

That being said, todays head is cast overseas. the current head is a lot better construction for durability. IT IS A BUDGET HEAD!

It is "BUDGET MINDED PURCHASE"
Has perfect port, guide, and seat alignment, consistant valve guides and seats. ( the very issues with the Pro Comps)

We purchase them bare and build them in house with quality USA made parts DHP has sold for years. They are great head for the money.

If you (or anyone) think these heads are best performing, let me sell you some sand and call it beach. They are not, but we have used them on some high & moderate compression BBC with good success & durability.

If you’re building a car that you can’t drive to the track, you’re probably not looking for a budget friendly set of cylinder heads anyway.
Looking for an entry level set of heads for street, given that GM factory production heads commonly had runner volumes of 230 to 270 cc. The heads we have are good choices for an application that is intended to be higher performing than stock and still used on the street for daily driving.

IMHO
Al
Just for the record I have never sold any PRO Comp heads and I don't push Chinese heads period !!!

You should educate every one on small base circle cams that there are only two a .950 and .900 base circle cams.

I can see why you didn't make it over on the CT site LOL

Here is the link
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216950

I work for a cam cam company, Herbert Cams, I and technical services so I will answer the question.

When building a stroker engine you use a small base cam for clearance. This allows no modification to the rod or using weaker rod with small rod bolts or what is know has down leg bolts, (bolt is moved down the rod).
There are two types of small base, .950 & .900
Roller cams
A standard small base .950 is all that's needed for a stroker SBC up to 3.750 stroke. A .900 small base is offered for crank strokes over 3.750 IE: 3.875, 4.00 strokes.
On cams with less than .400 at the lobe (.600 lift at 1.5) 99.9% of the time there will be no clearance issues.
Flat Tappet cam have a small profile and limited lift because of the flat tappet design so no small base is needed.

Al
PS: Anyone ordering a SBC cam one of the first questions is stroke!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts