Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the post says when and why is double beadlocks better or recommened over single beadlocks. I would guess that it would be a horse power thing. But not sure. Just want to see what options I may have. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Alot of the time guys run a single beadlock due to cost and the inner beadlock can interfere with the brakes so they end up rim screwing the insides... Double beadlocks are the way to go, you never have to break a bead to change a tire yourself.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You'll hit the tires harder with Dbl. beadlocks.
They may or may not work for you. Some cars need wheel speed and some don't.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not making a ton of power. I will be making 750hp on motor and about 1000 to 1050hp on nitrous. But I was basically looking at the ease of changing tires and not to mention I hate having to screw a rim bc sooner or later the screw holes will strip out and start leaking air and I hate having to deal with that.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,391 Posts
Just like the post says when and why is double beadlocks better or recommened over single beadlocks. I would guess that it would be a horse power thing. But not sure. Just want to see what options I may have. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks.
research how a tire is constructed and then you'll get an idea of why a single beadlock is never a good idea.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I went through this last year and this is what I was told from a guy local to me that does conversions. The beadlock makes the sidewall stiffer. The side with the screws won't be as stiff so you can imagine on launch having one side of the tire stiffer then the other. It beats up the tire, and also causes a "toe" problem that can actually make you lose ET. You will get a bunch of guys on here that will say they never had an issue, but I bet you'll never get a tire maker to say it's a good idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also thought about just having my current billet specialties wheels converted to double bead locks. They are 15x12 and are 6.5 bs. And the only thing I worry about that would be getting them to clear the calipers on the reared. It's a 9in ford with wilwood disc brakes and its going to be a caltrac suspension 69 nova.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Whatever you do to one side of the tire should be done on both. This goes back to the old idea for people that didn't want to see rim screws so they thought they could do the inside only. Until the tire had twisted on the rim because the outside edge moved.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 8 sec 5th gen camaro that is a street car. I'm stuck with single beadlock because of clearance issues. I make a hair under 1100 rwhp. Inside is screwed. What issue may I encounter with my billet specialties wheels using single beadlock ?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I have a 8 sec 5th gen camaro that is a street car. I'm stuck with single beadlock because of clearance issues. I make a hair under 1100 rwhp. Inside is screwed. What issue may I encounter with my billet specialties wheels using single beadlock ?
Read post 7, this is direct from Bruce at Exstreme Fab.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why I was asking about the single bead locks bc I couldn't get around the thought that if it was only single beadlocks bc I was thinking just like the others have posted that the tire would twist on the rim with only one side being beadlocked. And I was just wanting to make sure I was correct with my thoughts. So with that being said I think I'll just take my wheels to macfab being I live in sc and it'll only be a couple hr drive for me and I can drop them off and wait one them and take them back home. Thanks for the info.

·
T/S 368E
28,331 Posts

Double because they made us, but would never use a single, both or screws.

·
"Shocks don't matter"
21,585 Posts
I went through this last year and this is what I was told from a guy local to me that does conversions. The beadlock makes the sidewall stiffer. The side with the screws won't be as stiff so you can imagine on launch having one side of the tire stiffer then the other. It beats up the tire, and also causes a "toe" problem that can actually make you lose ET. You will get a bunch of guys on here that will say they never had an issue, but I bet you'll never get a tire maker to say it's a good idea.
All excellent points, factual and accurate, but add this to your logic (calculations).

Wheel spacing.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Sorry being that you mentioned "toe" in your original post I figured you had it and didn't want to insult telling you something, you already knew.

Wheel spacing determines which (inner, outer) takes the brunt at the hit.
I really wasn't getting into the physics of the wheel or car. I was talking about what a tire goes through when you make one sidewall stiffer then the other. Yes the less backspace you run, the more it will hit the inner bead but it fails in comparison to beadlocking only one side of a rim.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts