Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilt Holley 390 double pumper, completely stripped and back together with new consummables. Floats set so they dribble out sight plugs when rocked, accelerator pumps set to squirt immediately, white pump cam.

Fire up and the thing idles nicely, give it a squirt, no stumble and a good stream from the primary discharge nozzle (#35). The nozzle starts out nice and dry underneath, then its like a well overflows and it weeps (very wet) from underneath the nozzle. After a couple of seconds the wetness drys and engine returns to a dry idle. This wetness soaks the top of each primary throttle bore in the immediate vicinity of the discharge nozzle.

I initially thought the thing was not tight, so nipped it up a bit more, tested again same thing, got to the point I wasn't going to tighten anymore for fear of stripping thread. Take off the nozzle and replace the two gaskets (top/bottom) - fire up and same symptoms.

Tried a different discharge nozzle (#31) from another carb, new gaskets, same issue.....the weeping happens if I just touch the throttle, whack it or if I roll it through into the secondaries. The secondary squirter stays dry throughout..anybody have ideas?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Needle under squirter may be stuck!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking that could be part of the problem as I had to blow it out of its passage when removing during the rebuild. But, why would the fuel well up and leak from under the discharge nozzle? I would think the fuel would continue to squirt through the nozzle's discharge holes?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will check again, it is a possibility, I did remove the old gasket on the first go round....

·
Registered
637 Posts
two different gaskets, one under squirter and one under screw . did you mix them up?

The top and bottom gaskets arent the same?

Are you sure it is weeping and not just running down the nozzles along the body of the squirter and onto the gasket?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I've seen the different gaskets but rarely use the tapered one. Never used to be that way and it's thick enough you loose a thread on the shooter screw....nah I'll stick with old school even if I have to buy extra gaskets from BLP. ;)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have nice fresh versions of the tapered and the flat gaskets, yes I can try a flat gasket up top to discount that possibility but don't think its the issue.

As far as the weeping is concerned, I should have taken a video to show you guys. It definitely isn't running down from the top, it is weeping out from underneath....

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surely I am not the first person to ever have this issue? Any other leads? Yes I will try flat gaskets, yes I will check the mounting point for old gasket residue, yes I will check for burrs, yes I will check the needle underneath.....anything else I can look at?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have the same issue. Ive noticed fuel seep from the bottom of the squirters when pushing the acc pump lever. Ive replaced the squirter gasket, doubled up the gasket, tried new squirters, new squirter bolt, replaced acc pump umbrella, checked needle weight, even lightly filed squirter mounting surface to insure it is flat.

Still seeps fuel.

I gave up and just let it seep.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Its a very simple concept as far as how it seals and works. If you check all those logical things there is not much else it could be other than the pad on the carb where the squirter mounts is not true.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the same issue. Ive noticed fuel seep from the bottom of the squirters when pushing the acc pump lever. Ive replaced the squirter gasket, doubled up the gasket, tried new squirters, new squirter bolt, replaced acc pump umbrella, checked needle weight, even lightly filed squirter mounting surface to insure it is flat.

Still seeps fuel.

I gave up and just let it seep.

^^^^^ Not sure if I feel better knowing there's someone else on planet earth with the same issue - hehehe. I'm going to put a wideband on it to see if the weep affects A/F while wet....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts