Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bryant billet crank and would like to have it machined for a second key way. Anyone know who or where this can be done?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have a bryant billet crank and would like to have it machined for a second key way. Anyone know who or where this can be done?
If that crank is made out of 300M material its not going to be fun to machine .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Any good industrial machine shop can do it in thirty minutes. My bro did mine at his shop.

Don't take it to an aerospace shop or a strictly CNC shop....go to a fabrication related/repair oriented place that has manual-control equipment.........that is what is called a "job shop" in the machine trades.

Also, it doesn't need to be a half-round keyed slot, like the OEM slot is........just a straight key is fine, I believe. You might ask for other opinions on that but I've seen them both ways on blower cranks.

BTW a good job shop can be a valuable resource. These guys may not know a fuel injector from a timing chain but they can dig out broke bolts, weld cast iron, machine custom parts, match threads, hard-chrome, make spacers, etc, etc. They are usually creative with alternative solutions and finally.....sometime more affordable because they don't do everything with the "hot rod" bias when it's time to present the bill. (You know, if you put a Harley Davidson sticker on a quart of car wash it suddenly costs $30.00...that kind of thing)

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Any good industrial machine shop can do it in thirty minutes. My bro did mine at his shop.

Don't take it to an aerospace shop or a strictly CNC shop....go to a fabrication related/repair oriented place that has manual-control equipment.........that is what is called a "job shop" in the machine trades.

Also, it doesn't need to be a half-round keyed slot, like the OEM slot is........just a straight key is fine, I believe. You might ask for other opinions on that but I've seen them both ways on blower cranks.

BTW a good job shop can be a valuable resource. These guys may not know a fuel injector from a timing chain but they can dig out broke bolts, weld cast iron, machine custom parts, match threads, hard-chrome, make spacers, etc, etc. They are usually creative with alternative solutions and finally.....sometime more affordable because they don't do everything with the "hot rod" bias when it's time to present the bill. (You know, if you put a Harley Davidson sticker on a quart of car wash it suddenly costs $30.00...that kind of thing)

Just my humble opinion.
Yup, any machine shop can do it. I did mine on a Crower crank, the material is tough, but it's not a difficult job. A buddy had a tool from BHJ that made indexing the crank really easy. I machined the stock woodruff key out to 1/4" as well as adding the second key.
Another time, I had a crank repaired at Marine Crankshaft in Anaheim. While it was there I had them machine the keys for me. I think they charged $100-$150 for both.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What do you guys use as far as specs go to index the correct position?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a a friend that did his own crank, He will be doing mine as well. Thanks alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts