Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our company got in trouble for violation of 49 CFR 385.337(b)
which from what I can find means we refused a safety audit to be performed. I don't know anything about this audit there talking about but we're being fined a $1000. We did a job in Virginia a couple of years ago and were stopped for something. We were told we needed DOT numbers so I applied for the number but I wasn't sure we needed them. Do we even need to have DOT numbers on our trucks ?
We are a concrete cutting company, only transporting our own equipment,workers to the jobsite and back. Not transporting materials to be sold or owned by others for profit. Most of our work is in NJ but some times we work in NY or PA. The trucks are either F-550 or E-450 size box trucks under 19,000 lbs GVW. Why is this shit so confusing ?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
law is 18,001 lbs greater in for profit business, i.e. cutting concrete for someone and charging them. if your pulling a trailer, add that weight to the towing vehicle. one important note alot of folks forget is the weight is the weight the vehicle is rated to carry, doesn't matter if your empty or not. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) applies. also fed regs for log books and the like is 150 air miles, or any interstate rated at 10,001lbs.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Ok what If your under 18,001? But hauling for profit.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
as long as you are not going from state to state you do not fall into the fed regs. unless you add a trailer...

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
I know in NY you have to have a dot number on any commercial vehicle. Have it on all my pickups. Learned the hard way.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The law states anything between 10,001 and 26,0000lbs you need to have DOT numbers if you are engaged in interstate or intrastate commerce. Anything above 26,001 you need to have the correct CDL classification. Was given a master class by a WI State Trooper.
Your results may vary.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tuna. I'm trying to get the company pointed in the right direction as far as the truck stuff goes but I have to admit I'm quite ignorant to the laws and regulations.
As far as log books go does the 150 mile thing you mentioned is that one direction or round trip ?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
That's one way.ANY vehicle over 10001 lbs used for interstate or intrastate COMMERCE is required to get a DOT #.In my case I also have to have a MC#:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
the log book thing is 150 air miles, pick a map, and figure out 150 air miles, place a circle there, and that is as far as you can travel without filling out a log book. you can drive there and back, it does not matter one way or round trip.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,170 Posts
I'VE GOT A SAFETY AUDIT COMING UP.....CAN'T WAIT

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
kev, i wish i was doing it.... i liked typing in all caps till work clamped down on it.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,170 Posts
kev, i wish i was doing it.... i liked typing in all caps till work clamped down on it.
IS THAT WHAT YOU DO?...SORRY I DIDN'T READ THIS WHOLE THREAD

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
kinda, been an inspector for a little while, not audits. roadside work...

·
Registered
698 Posts
You need a dot # for commercial trucks that cross state lines and in state reg over 5ton plus stop at scale house. You will need the little law book in your file you can get it at a truck stop.you need medical cards on each driver in there files with there in employment app's and there driving records. you have to keep all repair records for each truck until 6 months after you get rid of truck. On each repair record you need to have vin # the truck # and milage on truck date and time fix and who did the work.You need to have a file on each truck.This what the state of Md dot told me when they came in my office. The fines for this shit is really high, I seen co go out of businees over this shit..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts