Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I actually seen guys dig up their old parts and recondition them as new.
heck did that last winter to my 25 year old MSD unilite distributor that lasted and lasted with no probs.
got a new motor thought ill install the latest and greatest MSD distributor ( Digital E curve distributor)
friggin thing didnt last 20 miles before it shorted out.
(yeah they assemble in Mexico and who knows where else)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
can't speak for all their junk,
but I've been running their alum heads on blown SBC for 3yrs, with no problems, street car, I did all finish work and assembly.
some folks just look for problems :yawinkle:

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
Ive heard bad things about all their shit. Except the heads. Mixed reviews on those. Either they worked fine, or they could have bought a set of AFR's for the extra work they needed.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
dont try there rocker arms eather. i have bought 250 bucks worth of replacement parts to repair the ones that kept breaking. they r paper wieghts now.
Yep! Way back I got roped into a set of "CHINESE" rockers, (private label) ONE time, they went on a rare 396, matching numbers Chevelle SS, they started coming apart with very few miles, locked up the oil pump, lucky the customer caught the OP drop! Cost us good, went completely through the engine again..

NEVER AGAIN!!:smt097

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
ALL PARTS WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY! ;)

I'M A SPOKESPERSON FOR PRO-COMP AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!:p

SANK YOU....SANK YOU VETI MUCH!
I can only imagine that your car is slapped FULL of Pro-Comp stuff... :rolleyes:

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I put a different distributor in this morning, and got the truck running again. I can't really determine what the fuck happened? It even broke the fucking module!! About half the rotor is gone, one advance arm is gone, giant hole in the cap, the only thing that didn't get fucked up is the coil. I suppose the body itself is ok, but I'm guessing the shaft is bent too. I'm considering boxing it up and mailing it to ProComp, just to show them what happened to their 5 month old distrib. No one I know has ever heard of such a thing. I have a stock GM HEI in a pretty lame 350 in my Malibu, but I drive the living shit out of it, and have yet to have a problem. This is an amazing occurance to say the least!!

·
Ronald Reagans Ultra Ego.
7,452 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had trouble with their shit too, the minute I opened the box and seen the distributor gear sitting besides the distributor I should of sent it back and I had to clearance the intake and dig the gear deeper for it to sit properly!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My son bought a SBC timing chain from a vendor at Turkey Rod Run a few years back and it was a tooth off!! I called them in CA and they claimed it was a preproduction run problem and all was well now. Offerd to replace and never did..
I finally gave up until I stumbeld across their sorry operation at the PRI show where I proceeded to ambush them in a nice way. They had the usual apoligizes and blame however they did finally replaced the set. It came and was a bad as the first set from a year before.
My understanding is they claim to be made in Australia but actually produce the junk in Asia then somehow ship to Austarlia then rebox or rebadge their junk. Whether its a MSD look a like, Holley rip off etc etc
Later
BobH

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I have a bunch of ProComp stuff in the shop right now.. Yes, typical stuff from overseas, and I don't like this stuff coming from overseas anymore then anyone else, BUT that is the winds of change, unfortunately..

I have a set of their s/b ford CNC heads here, they don't look too bad "for the price", but I am gonna redo the valve job on my Serdi, and assemble them with Comp valve springs, and not overseas stuff..

The CNC porting is done in California, but all the rest of the work is done overseas.

This stuff is getting used on a budget 408 street build, and the budget dictated we go this way. We will be dynoing this engine in house possibly by the end of next week, it will be a 408 w/ hyd. roller cam, I will keep you guys up to date how things work out..

The heads will be going on the flow bench as they are, before I redo the valve job, and I will report what we find. I expect to put them on the flow bench this week..

·
Registered
472 Posts
i had one of those HEI's in my ford until i read about people having the shaft break then i got a msd.

send it to me....I have a pinto I can put that into and test it out ;)

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
This stuff is getting used on a budget 408 street build, and the budget dictated we go this way. We will be dynoing this engine in house possibly by the end of next week, it will be a 408 w/ hyd. roller cam, I will keep you guys up to date how things work out..
After all the extra work you've got to put into these POS heads are they really "budget" ?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Just a heads up, don't waste your time with the MSD Streetfire.
whats the problem with them. I was thinking of buying on of their ignition boxes

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.