Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im going to start this off by saying i dont know much about tuning carbs beyond jets, air bleeds, and accelerator pumps So be easy on me.

Carb is a normal 2 circuit holley 1050

Car is a 67 chevelle, back half car all steel body, steel cage. assuming around 3800lbs with driver shifting at 82-8400

engine is

377 SBC 4.155x3.480
14:1
11lb oil ring (vacuum pump pulling 12" pan vac)
Slick Rick Racing Heads Dart 230's (340-350 cfm)
2.140 TI /1.580 Stainless valves
LGM 1.7 Shaft Rockers
Brodix HVH Intake Ported/Milled plenum by me
276/284 .799/.790 113+3 4/7 swap Camshaft
2" 4 hole tapered spacer
1 3/4" header 28" primaries 14" merged collector 3" choke, 3.5" outlet ( i know not ideal, but its what we have at the moment)

Glide
5500 stall
5.38 gear
32x14x15 tire
Sunoco supreme fuel

Carb right now has .092 jets in all 4 corners, 50cc accelerator pumps, PV blocked off, I dont know the airbleed sizes off hand.

This is how we bought the carb, and want to get a starting point before i put the motor back together. I will be able to log air fuel after we get it back together.

** Disclaimer, i know tire size and glide are killing the car, Those are getting changed next**

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
All the mods needed to make a Dominator work well are on the first site below. base calibrations are there, however some Dominators require significant changes in idle/transition metering because the t-slot size/location in the bore has varied a bit over the years. Also there are a few with very weak or strong metering signal at the idle and transition slot, changing the metering needs as well. Is it an HP or non HP body? Annular or bar boosters?

http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3742

This site has some other stuff that may help.

http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is a non HP body with bar boosters. Its also a 3 circuit, i mistyped it in the original post.

I think im going to buy some QFT metering blocks instead of modifying the ones i have already

Here is the base tuneup they listed

Main Jet (MJ)=#96 Square
Idle Jet (IJ)=.039
T Slot Jet (TSJ)=.055
Acc Pump Shooters=.035 (yellow cam)
Power Valve Channel Restrictors (PVCR)=.053
Idle Air Bleed (IAB)=.065
Main Air Bleed (MAB)=.028
Emulsion Bleed (EB)=.028 in positions 1 & 3 counting from the top

Since the QFT blocks have what appears to me as 4 emulsion bleeds, do i set them all to .028 or just 1 and 3 (from the top)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Main jet with the bar boosters is probably 94-95. Now would be a good time to change boosters if it's in your budget, annulars do a much better job of atomization and equal distribution to the cylinders. With annulars usually around 92-93 for jet. Idle jet and idle bleed as well as transition slot jet can vary, some carb bodies have the t-slot length, width or position off from where it needs to be and will require a little tuning. I can help when you get there if that base tune is off.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Main jet with the bar boosters is probably 94-95. Now would be a good time to change boosters if it's in your budget, annulars do a much better job of atomization and equal distribution to the cylinders. With annulars usually around 92-93 for jet. Idle jet and idle bleed as well as transition slot jet can vary, some carb bodies have the t-slot length, width or position off from where it needs to be and will require a little tuning. I can help when you get there if that base tune is off.
Here is a picture of the carb. I think those are considered bar boosters right?

Also will ProForm 67150C Metering blocks work? I get a better deal on them through my work.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually i think that pro form pat number i listed is wrong. I think its for a 4150.

What part number metering blocks would you suggest Mark?

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you decide to change them , I would use 16 hole boosters , BLP sells them. When Mark comes back he can set you up with those(boosters) and a good starting point tune up. And yes , better atomization.....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you decide to change them , I would use 16 hole boosters , BLP sells them. When Mark comes back he can set you up with those(boosters) and a good starting point tune up. And yes , better atomization.....
Im trying to piece together what all i will need. billet metering blocks and 16 hole boosters sound like a good start!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The 4150 blocks are fine, the angle channels just need to be opened up. The 34-105 are the least expensive ones to get. And yes those are annulars, it's either an 8896 or 9375.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 4150 blocks are fine, the angle channels just need to be opened up. The 34-105 are the least expensive ones to get. And yes those are annulars, it's either an 8896 or 9375.
by angle channels are you meaning the two at a 45 degree angle on the top half of the block? how big would they need opened up to?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mark was very helpful when I was in your exact same position. I had a 3 circuit 8896 HP carb that I wanted to convert to a 2 circuit carb. Here is the thread that I started. Your combo is very similar to mine, so I would imagine the baseline tuneup would be similar as well. It's a long thread, but covers a lot of the question after reading a lot of different 2 circuit posts and baseline tuneup posts.

http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/Intro_and_getting_started_questions_about283.html

Cole

1 - 15 of 15 Posts