Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to get some ideas.. i heard you pretty much gain hp no matter what with a dominator . was thinking about it. any input?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Dominator,,, or a well prepped 4150
I did nothing to my motor changed from a H.p. 950 Holley
worked with it all last year..dropped on a 1050 and picked up
3tenths and 3 mph..12.5 23 degree 406..and even runs better on the street..who knew..lol

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Dominator,,, or a well prepped 4150
I did nothing to my motor changed from a H.p. 950 Holley
worked with it all last year..dropped on a 1050 and picked up
3tenths and 3 mph..12.5 23 degree 406..and even runs better on the street..who knew..lol
Its obvious your clueless on how to tune a carb

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,839 Posts
Depending on the intake and combo, puttng the throttle plates closer to the cylinder line can make a HP difference. Even with the same cfm or flow rating.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'd like to know what the rest of the combo is also ,if it's only a small cube motor I wouldn't run a dominator .
Nothing wrong with running the dominator on a small inch engine, as long as it is the right application. Meaning if it leaves off a transbrake at a high rpm and has high rpm shift points, and has enough gear to keep the engine in its power range, it will work just fine. But it is application specific. I agree with you if the car is heavy, runs off a footbrake, has a dead gear and converter and doesn't shift that high..then I would run a 4150..

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Nothing wrong with running the dominator on a small inch engine, as long as it is the right application. Meaning if it leaves off a transbrake at a high rpm and has high rpm shift points, and has enough gear to keep the engine in its power range, it will work just fine. But it is application specific. I agree with you if the car is heavy, runs off a footbrake, has a dead gear and converter and doesn't shift that high..then I would run a 4150..
Good advice

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would presume the above would apply to 4500 throttle bodies as well?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did some tests on an engine dyno. I have a 525 with a Dart 4150 manifold. I tried a dominator with a 2" adapator and it only picked up about 10hp. So, if you have a 4150 manifold, it is not worth it. I have also seen a friends 496 pick up 40hp with the dominator, but he had a 4500 manifold.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
novadose, looks like your trying to as fast as you can right? i wouldn't leave any power on the table no matter how small. i have dynoed/built over 1000 race engines and not 1 lost power using one. even my pump gas 430 sbc.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i dont know your application and im sure all is different but i went from 4150hp 950 to a 4500 1050 and gained 18hp and then a quickfuel 1050 and got another 12hp from it...just my numbers and i dont know squat

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I keep seeing mentions of dyno, are you guys looking at peak power, or how fast it accelerates to peak power? If it made only 10HP more, but accelerated to that peak 2 (just a number for examples sake) seconds faster then the old one wouldn't that be an improvement that would really show up at the track??

·
Registered
804 Posts
I keep seeing mentions of dyno, are you guys looking at peak power, or how fast it accelerates to peak power? If it made only 10HP more, but accelerated to that peak 2 (just a number for examples sake) seconds faster then the old one wouldn't that be an improvement that would really show up at the track??
My numbers were average gains from 4500-8000 rpm. With a properly built 4500, you won't loose any acceleration at the engine speeds you should be at. You may at around 3000 rpm, but you should be well above that all the way down the track.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts