Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my new 605 Hemi running the other day and took it a mile or so down the road for its first voyage. I have a new three circuit Dominator G3 1250 on it, and its lean while cruising. I have a #63 in the intermediate air bleed, should I richen that some?

It seems to go lean right around 2500-3000....Which is cruising rpm.....

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Luckily, I wrote down what the carb cam with for the intermediate....Came with #51 and I have a #63 in it per one of the guys that I race with. I am going to put the #51 back in and richen it up and see where it lands me.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made a couple mile trip down the road and pulled two plugs....Pig rich...

So what is your 1250 3-circuit jetting? Need somewhere to start.

It came with 92/102 and I removed the power valve and run it 102/102 and between that and the intermediate, I am too rich. Thinking of 98's square?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If it's got no primary PV, tune main jet for WOT not cruising.

IMO, a 3 circuit 4500 that big, if you're going to street drive it, is going to need a primary PV, and it's going to need some changes to the metering in the idle/transition area.

You'll have to do some testing with the intermediate circuit to see where it becomes active. . at that cruise RPM and throttle position, it may be, or may not be. That's a problem with the 3 circuit design; the intermediate is 'divorced' from the main circuit and it takes a fair bit of work to get it active where you want it to be, without being active where it's not needed.

For street driving, I would probably prefer a 2 circuit. . one less circuit to coordinate . .

What's the whole metering setup? Idle feed, idle bleed, intermediate feed and bleed, PVCR, main jets and main air bleeds.

I'm sure Mark will have a recipe that will get you started.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's got no primary PV, tune main jet for WOT not cruising.

IMO, a 3 circuit 4500 that big, if you're going to street drive it, is going to need a primary PV, and it's going to need some changes to the metering in the idle/transition area.

You'll have to do some testing with the intermediate circuit to see where it becomes active. . at that cruise RPM and throttle position, it may be, or may not be. That's a problem with the 3 circuit design; the intermediate is 'divorced' from the main circuit and it takes a fair bit of work to get it active where you want it to be, without being active where it's not needed.

For street driving, I would probably prefer a 2 circuit. . one less circuit to coordinate . .

What's the whole metering setup? Idle feed, idle bleed, intermediate feed and bleed, PVCR, main jets and main air bleeds.

I'm sure Mark will have a recipe that will get you started.
I have not tinkered with too much of it, and its big, but so is the engine. Its a 605 and it starts instantly and idles fairly good considering the cam.

HS bleeds I switched back to #34 made it better
Idle bleeds #70
Intermediate is back to #51

Main jets 102 sec jets 102

I have not really had it apart to look at the IFR's...

I could put the PV back in...But I think I need to figure out the intermediate first no?

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I've run 3 circuit 1050 dominators on the street with great results (in a single 4 barrel application) . Both ended up with power valves, a huge intermediate air bleed (100) and not quite 1:1 on the linkage but, close. Also, on the power valves, they ended up like 3.5.
Plugs stayed clean in city driving too. 540 BBC

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've run 3 circuit 1050 dominators on the street with great results (in a single 4 barrel application) . Both ended up with power valves, a huge intermediate air bleed (100) and not quite 1:1 on the linkage but, close. Also, on the power valves, they ended up like 3.5.
Plugs stayed clean in city driving too. 540 BBC
By putting a #100 in there, you have basically shut any enrichment off in that circuit.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
By putting a #100 in there, you have basically shut any enrichment off in that circuit.
Yep, that was the intention. Yet, the carbs worked great. No hesitations, no sputtering all the way thru. According to O2, my cruising range around 2500 -3000 was still slightly fat.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As far as lean, what is it doing, why do you think it's lean?
Honestly, the plugs said rich.....Its a brand new combo, and I squared it an removed the PV. I always run my carbs this way, and never had an issue.....

I have a hesitation from 2500-3000 that I do not know if its lean or rich. Feels lean, plugs showed rich. I will put the PV back in. Can it be lean cruising and rich everywhere else w/o the PV I guess is the question?

Thanks for posting OEM specs.

The emulsions are as shown with #29's in all of them except the one location. IFR I did not change or write down yet.

Jetting is 102 square, but I had put #28 HS bleeds in from the #34's and that was bad. Its back to #34 and made it better...

The intermediate bleeds were #51 and I put #63 in, but I put the #51 back in when I changed the HS bleeds back.

Its a really neat carb with a lot of adjustments. If I get this one smoothed out, I want a 1050G3 for my other car. I will put an AFR meter in the car soon, looks like I really need it. I have not tried my SV1 on it, but that will get interesting. I am learning just how little I know about carburetors lately.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have 568 ci 820 hp pump gas 10.5 /1 in my street car, had Quick Fuel 1150 CFM 3 -circuit and had same issues, switched to new version QF 1150 and had same issues, no meter what we did just couldn't get rid of that loading up and feddering sound from 2100 - 2500 rpm, Drew me nuts ! Recently I switched to Holley new version "2 - Cicuet " 1150 CFM GEN Ultra Dominator and man wot a difference, runs great can not be more happier with it.

Paja

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
You need to get some 6-32 shouldered emulsion bleed blanks/plugs, at least 12 of them. You can buy them in pack of 10 on the net, I can set you up individually if you like. I would plug off the intermediate feed altogether. You will need to go to .028 main air bleeds, and plug all but the top and #3 or #4 emulsion bleeds. Keep the primary PV for the street, try a 95 jet in the front, 100 in the rear to start. Then you can lower the idle feed restriction to .040, either make your own with the same emulsion blanks (total now 16) or buy predrilled. From there you can adjust idle/transition fuel with the air bleeds.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You need to get some 6-32 shouldered emulsion bleed blanks/plugs, at least 12 of them. You can buy them in pack of 10 on the net, I can set you up individually if you like. I would plug off the intermediate feed altogether. You will need to go to .028 main air bleeds, and plug all but the top and #3 or #4 emulsion bleeds. Keep the primary PV for the street, try a 95 jet in the front, 100 in the rear to start. Then you can lower the idle feed restriction to .040, either make your own with the same emulsion blanks (total now 16) or buy predrilled. From there you can adjust idle/transition fuel with the air bleeds.
That's a lot to take in right there. What is the purpose of doing this exactly? Holley stated it should be very close right out of the box, and that seems like a lot of change right there. I am going to order an AFR gauge tomorrow if I can get my hands on a Summit code. I am hoping this will help figure out what its doing, But I want to understand what your asking me to do.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Plugging the intermediate circuit does just that, eliminates it. You don't need it, it's just painting your plugs black. Idle jet at .052 is just insane for anything except alcohols. It will make light throttle rich, prior to the booster or intermediate circuit. And the excessive emulsion agitates it even further, making the fuel aggressive when the mains start and lean up top. A wideband system will surely help, but I don't need it to see your calibration will make it rich driving around. If you get one get the Innovate MTX-L gauge and a Pocket Logger, or if you want portability between cars an Innovate LM-2.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Jmark. I know you have covered this many times, but could you put up pictures of any metering block restrictions you commonly use and their names and sizes for like 1050 dominators with billet blocks and stock HP blocks? I get the emulsions may need restrictions, but a little fuzzy on the idle and intermediate ones. If you use a 3 circuit HP dominator main body and use billet 2 circuit metering blocks, what exactly do you block off to get ride of the intermediate on the main body or elsewhere? Or start a new thread over on your site and do it there.Thanks

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Plugging the intermediate circuit does just that, eliminates it. You don't need it, it's just painting your plugs black. Idle jet at .052 is just insane for anything except alcohols. It will make light throttle rich, prior to the booster or intermediate circuit. And the excessive emulsion agitates it even further, making the fuel aggressive when the mains start and lean up top. A wideband system will surely help, but I don't need it to see your calibration will make it rich driving around. If you get one get the Innovate MTX-L gauge and a Pocket Logger, or if you want portability between cars an Innovate LM-2.
Idle bleeds have been #70 the whole time, but the intermediate bleeds are #51 or #52 if that is what you mean..Way more than I am used to doing, and I am not sure I understand the emulsions and the IFR changes, but I tried just jetting the front to #95 from #92 and took the rear HS bleeds from #34 to #36 instead of taking the rear main jets #102 to #100....I was lazy and just wanted to try it. .

It made things a lot better, so my question is why exactly and what do I try next with what I have? Its very drivable, and only has a little bit of a leaness at cruising speed now, it may be rich elsewhere, but until I get an AFR gauge in the car so I can see what its doing from idle, cruise, and part throttle. I am not sure about the swing. Its almost smoothed out, just a little lean at cruise. And man is it scoot....This is my first big cube motor, and I took the car for an inspection today...Talk about a power band.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Before we do anything else, take out the intermediate air bleeds, leave them out. Get .026 main air bleeds. Let me know what happens.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts