Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna disassemble this harness to get rid of wiring that I don't need, such as fuel pump, knock sensor and oil pressure sensor (I'm just gonna run a gauge).

My question is the IAC sensor. I hadn't planned on running an IAC. Motor is an Iron 408 (ls style) with a solid roller that measures 248/258 @ .050 lobe separation is 116*.

Should I get an IAC motor/sensor or not? If not, can I remove the IAC plug and wiring from the harness?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Should I get an IAC motor/sensor or not? If not, can I remove the IAC plug and wiring from the harness?
It's not a stupid question, it's just no one wants to tell you whether or not to use an IAC motor on your engine. I prefer an IAC motor, but my vehicle isn't a dedicated race only vehicle. If your engine idles fairly high anyway, you can probably do without it...but I'd wait until the engine is running before I cut it off the harness.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
if you do decide to trim the connectors/loose wires, leave about 1 " at the cut point, insulate individual wires with heatshrink, and tuck inside. that way if they are needed later its much easier to resplice.....(because we never change our minds!!!)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Why would you not want to data log that stuff even though you are not going to use it. Oil pressure is something that really needs to be logged so you can see what it is doing on launch. Will show you a problem before it kills parts

Tim

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Why would you not want to data log that stuff even though you are not going to use it. Oil pressure is something that really needs to be logged so you can see what it is doing on launch. Will show you a problem before it kills parts

Tim
Agreed. The best part of the Holley is that it does everything out of the box, and more importantly, logs everything together so that you can overlay all of your data. Basically, if you have a gauge for it, you should be running that sensor into one of the many inputs in the Dominator as well.

I'm pretty sure that you can share the oil pressure sensor with the gauge as long as it's electronic or you can buy a Holley gauge that runs off the computer.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, it would be nice to have both. Just wasn't sure you could using the wiring to work both the gauge and dominator. So I was just gonna run the gauges for those two as I already had them hooked up.

Both the fuel press and oil press gauges are autometer electronic units. So they came with their own transducer.

Can I just splice the wires from the dominator harness into the autometer wiring to run both the gauges and log the info off the same transducer/wiring? Will the scaling be off?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes, you can share the sensor however there may be some tweaking on the Holley graph to align the pressure vs voltage. Use your Autometer gauge as a guide.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Just make a good soldered splice I assume?
Soldered & shrink tube or replace the connector terminal and crimp both small gauge wires together.
Ensure both devices are connected to a good (equal) ground to avoid ground offsets (so they'll read the same).

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Soldered & shrink tube or replace the connector terminal and crimp both small gauge wires together.
Ensure both devices are connected to a good (equal) ground to avoid ground offsets (so they'll read the same).
Do you mean to ground to different locations, or can it all be grounded to the same location as long as it's good?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Do you mean to ground to different locations, or can it all be grounded to the same location as long as it's good?
It's best to ground to the same good location. The engine block is the best ground because the negative battery cable is attached to it.

Ground cable from the negative battery post to the engine block and from the engine block to the chassis (frame) and a 10ga wire from the body back to the battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.