Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth it to pay someone for simple commands like sit and just generally bad behavior? Brother has a boxer that is about 1 and is crazy. Doesnt listen to anyone and just does what it wants. He would really like to do it himself but has no idea where to start.

·
Registered
876 Posts
He could get some DVDs. I think Caesar Milan has some. Also, the local Petsmart probably offers owner and dog training (yep, said owner, they have just as much to learn as the dogs lol). I'm sure most cities have them, around here there are even specific businesses that specialize in dog training.

Tell him to stick with it. Add a little age and some training and I'm sure he would be a great dog, just gotta give it time and effort.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
He could get some DVDs. I think Caesar Milan has some. Also, the local Petsmart probably offers owner and dog training (yep, said owner, they have just as much to learn as the dogs lol). I'm sure most cities have them, around here there are even specific businesses that specialize in dog training.

Tell him to stick with it. Add a little age and some training and I'm sure he would be a great dog, just gotta give it time and effort.
X2 ,it will take time but,he can do it.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
I think if the trainer is good its money well spent, there are a lot of things that the trainer needs to see to correct ( things the owner is doing or not doing, environment etc) and while a CD is helpful being there is a whole lot better.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Start out by walkin it around on a leash...if it goes nuts, let it....it will tire down eventually or pull the collar off one...boxers train better if they're on a leash...especially crazy ones, and don't forget to give it a treat when it does somethin good....

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Dog has become pack leader, is dog fixed ? Does dog get outsie and walked. I bored dog is a dog in trouble. If he is all wired all the time, They make a collar that looks like a flea collar, it has hormones from momma dog milk, calms em down a lil bit. It actually works but need replaced about every 4 weeks.

But yes a trainer can bee a great investment, usual 2-3 visits and shpuld be good to go on his own. At that age he is becoming the alpha of the house, it is time to straighten out who the alpha is. Boxers are good dogs. He just needs direction..

but GET EM FIXED .

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
http://www.newskete.org/traingprogram.html

The best thing you can do for yourself and your dog (or your Brother's dog) is to get your hands on their books. I don't make it a habit of recommending too many things to too many people. But. Many years ago I spend a very long time looking for books on this very subject. I came across this Monastery in New York. They earn their sustenance by breeding / raising / and training German Shepherds. Do yourself a favor and take the time to read about these guys.

I'm not saying their approach is the best, not downing anyone else's either. But, until your brother "trains" himself the dog will never learn a thing. Why should he if he's the boss now? By teaching the dog how to learn, and teaching your brother how to teach the dog will become the best companion he's ever had. I looked at many, many different books, systems and videos before I settled on their approach to training dogs. And since then, I've had several friends and family ask me to train their pets.

Good luck.

g

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
That calming collar didn't do anything for the extremely high energy/high drive Rottie we had. Nothing did.

Get him to give the dog more exercise and yes, find a good trainer. It's best to find a training club and see what classes they offer. I wouldn't bother with Petco or Petsmart. Although well intentioned, those are just people trained by the store to train dogs. Most of them don't have much real experience, don't have dogs competing in Obedience, Agility, Herding, etc.

http://www.capitolcitydog.com/

And yes, group class are well worth the time. But he has to do the homework!! And the WHOLE FAMILY has to be dedicated to keeping a well behaved dog.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
And yes, group class are well worth the time. But he has to do the homework!! And the WHOLE FAMILY has to be dedicated to keeping a well behaved dog.
That's exactly right Amanda. The absolute coolest thing I ever did as a pet owner was to learn how to train my dogs. I've had some smart dogs in the past who looked to me to lead them and I realized I was not smart enough to "get in their heads".

But, once I decided to learn how to learn how their minds worked, and learned how to teach them it was amazing how the whole relationship with my dogs went to an entirely new level.

My GS constantly learns new stuff I don't teach him. He has learned how to learn.

The youngest of my nieces and nephews, my folks, and siblings all know what commands he responds to and they know how I expect them to treat him. And because of that, he is the best pet in the extended family by far. But, it's a commitment.

g

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is guy here in new jersey "Dan Gentile" who specializes in large dogs and police dogs. He takes yours dog for 2 weeks $600 +$25 per day boarding. Guarantees his work. Has dogs from around the country shipped to him.
Don't know his website but google his name.
We were there with our rotti and were amazed!

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
http://www.dogwise.com/BestSellers09.cfm?timespan=3

Scroll down just a little and there are three in a row that I recommend (because I have read them..can't comment on others I have not read):

HOW TO BE THE LEADER OF THE PACK - AND HAVE YOUR DOG LOVE YOU FOR IT!
by Patricia McConnell
Item: DTB479
Learn how to love your dogs without spoiling them and provide boundaries without intimidation. This booklet clarifies how to be a benevolent leader and avoid aggression related to fear or dominance.
Ships the next business day.

CULTURE CLASH
by Jean Donaldson
Item: DTB464
2005 Expanded Edition! The book that has shaped modern thinking about canine behavior and the relationship between dogs and humans has been revised. Dogs are not humans. Dogs are clever and complex creatures that humans need to take the time to understand in order to live together successfully. You must read this book... because your dog sure can't! This book is also available in Spanish - DTB464SP

THE OTHER END OF THE LEASH - WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO AROUND DOGS
by Patricia McConnell
Item: DTB745
When humans communicate with dogs, a lot can get lost in the translation. Focusing on human behavior, Dr. McConnell teaches readers how to retrain themselves to speak consistently in a language dogs understand and avoid sending conflicting and confusing messages.

Pretty much anything by Patricia McDonnell or Jean Donaldson is gonna be good.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Monks of New Skete are too heavy handed for my liking.
It's been so long that I loan that literature out to friends when they get pups. I don't find their ways to be over the top.

It's sort of like playing a musical instrument... you learn the fundamentals and the rock solid basics and then you learn your own style. Same with tuning hot rods, there are lot's of ways to get down the track, we all do it just a little different.

Once I "got inside" my dogs heads, they have never wanted anything else other than to make me happy. Because in that they find their happiness. It has become so that I put Kozmos leash around my shoulder when we go for walks. He knows I have it, and it is a short 3' leash. It is the only one he has ever had. But, I give him very subtle 1-3 word commands and he knows exactly what I expect. We can come to an intersection and he will sit, even if it's his own sidewalk and driveway he won't turn unless I let him.

We have a pretty cool thing.

g

·
502 daddy
3,311 Posts
I've never used one on my dogs but a buddy of mine got a shocker on his dog,used for yard like a fence and once it learned that he used the vibration of it to train him in other areas...As he learned the yard he was vibrated and then shocked when he got too close so training was easy after that he new it vibrates it was time to listen...great dog

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Recently spent 700 for a dogy boot camp cause my 1 year old lab does not listen to my wife. It was a complete waste of money dog listened to the trainer and me but still does not give a hoot what my wife says. Its classic kids dogs i wonder if its the wifes fault?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your brother is a novice dog owner, and he can afford it, lessons are a good idea. If he goes the PetSmart route, he will more than likely be taught positive reinforcement techniques. They also do offer private as well as group lessons. Many private trainers still use methods based on William Koehler's method of dog training books. He was the guru in the 50's 60's and 70's. Negative reinforcment for unwanted behaviors using a chocker chain was the foundation of his methods. The last 20 years most reputable trainers have gone away from his methods. If your brother wants to do it on his own, he can do a google search for positive dog training and loose leash training. Youtube is also a good source. If his dog is beyond needing just basic sit, stay, heel, come training, he should probably seek a pro. Finally, i agree with those who say he will have to work and practice with the dog. I spend about 4 months of daily training sessions with my german shepherds just to ensure they have the basics.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Dog's not crazy,,,,,,,,,owner is lazy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts