Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got my puppy, a German shepherd lab mix the vet told me to ditch the Merrick food she was on because it was too high in protein, and may build mass faster than her bones can grow. Ended up going with acana, which was recommended by more than one person, only to find out the acana brand has more instances of heart issues in dogs. The studies seem to be all over the place, and either I believe the f.d.a, or a bunch of others who say acana is a good brand. It seemed to be be based on whether or not the food has lentils or legumes in it, not really sure. If any of you guys and gals are in the know on this subject, I would appreciate your input.
I was also told to stay far away from brands that you find in a grocery store, and while I dont mind paying a premium for good dog food, I also find the selection at pet stores overwhelming. I do not have the bag any longer, so I cant list ingredients, but I was told the acana brand was legit.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Make your own food. My GF makes it for our dogs. Her recipie is:
chicken thighs
ground beef
apples and carrots shredded
rice
shredded potato
olive oil
slow cook in the crock pot
My dog was turning her nose up at hard food while devouring the home made stuff, not to mention she farts a lot less and her health has improved substantially.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Since when did dogs become vegetarians? They've evolved to eat meat...

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,141 Posts
PROBABLY THE SAME WITH HUMANS...LACK OF ACTIVITY....AND SITTING AROUND ... IF YOU ARE INACTIVE....YOU WILL GET HEART DISEASE...AND FUCKIMG DIE....

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBABLY THE SAME WITH HUMANS...LACK OF ACTIVITY....AND SITTING AROUND ... IF YOU ARE INACTIVE....YOU WILL GET HEART DISEASE...AND FUCKIMG DIE....
Maybe so, they dont seem to go into detail on the activity level of the cases reported. My dog is very active, and I do all I can to keep her well exercised. She is also currently enrolled in k9 obedience, protection training, which has the both of us doing lots of things. Just want the best for her, and I also understand some of these studies may be offbase.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
chicken thighs
ground beef
rice
shredded potato
olive oil
My dog was turning her nose up at hard food while devouring the home made stuff, not to mention she farts a lot less and her health has improved substantially.

This, kind of.....

Human's and dog's are both carnivore's.
If you are not willing to eat what you feed you're best buddy, why would you make you're dog eat it??

Just remember, a dog can eat raw meat with out any problem's.
Raw chicken, beef, pork with the bone's is no problem.
Cook the chicken or other meat with the bone's make's the bone's hard.
Raw bone's, OK cooked bone's, not good.

A healthy diet for a human is also a healthy diet for you're dog.

Jim

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,141 Posts
I HAVE 5 DOGS...OF WHICH 4 ARE 100 PLUS POUND LABS....AMD ANLITTLE HOUSE DOG....WEVE BEEN FEEDIMG THEM BENEFUL HEALTHY WEIGHT...FOR MOST THEIR LIVES...WITH REGULAR VET CHECKS...OUR VET COMES TO OUR HOME....DOGS ARE ALL HEALTHY AND HAPPY....I KNOW EVERY WJERE THEY SHIT CLOVERS COME UP....IM GUESSIMG THATS IN THEIR FOOD ALSO..LOL

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Just make your own or make a extra meal when you eat. This is what i do and never no issues. My dogs won't even touch dog food,they will look at it and walk away. I feed mine everything from chicken,ribs,bbq,hamburgers,hot dogs,pasta,fish,fast food,veggies and more. My theory is if i won't eat it then why should my dogs eat it. Back in the day i say most dog foods were good and healthy,now days its like its all filler and chemicals.

·
Registered
38,357 Posts
chicken thighs
ground beef
rice
shredded potato
olive oil

Dog food, hell....serve me up a bowl of that stuff....that sounds pretty damn good.

·
Registered
56,146 Posts
chicken thighs
ground beef
rice
shredded potato
olive oil
We are using a similar recipe. You can use or substitute ground pork, turkey.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
when I was a kid and we had 2 German Shepherds ( not at the same time). They ate Puppy Chow as pups and Gravy Train after they were grown. There was no way my parents would buy human food to feed to the dog, and our dog lived happy lives. People buying and cooking "human" food for their dogs just shows how messed up some dog lovers really are. I bet the fancy dog food is made in the same factory as the "normal" dog food is made in

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Dogs moved in with humans about 20,000 years ago. They gave up being "carnivores" then.

Bullshit.
Do you think cavemen fed their dogs veggies? Nope, they probably got meat scraps and shit like that.

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,331 Posts
Bullshit.
Do you think cavemen fed their dogs veggies? Nope, they probably got meat scraps and shit like that.
My dogs used to get into my vegetable garden and eat the ripe cherry tomatoes and green beans. They love banana and will steal apples off the bench to eat if in reach.
Dogs have a similar diet to us as they were along side us for the past 10000 years helping us hunt and evolved with us.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts