Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Mother Hen
50,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your wife or daughter have to have the latest Chanel or Louis Vuitton bag? Do you need the Rolex or Breitling watch? I don't mind luxury brands, but with the business I'm in, I could never rationalize paying retail for luxury brands unless I had mega bucks.

I purchased about four hundred pieces of jewelry this week and there is a decent amount of designer stuff. I got several pieces by John Hardy, but a ring in particular, pretty much blows my mind. It is nothing but a big sterling ring with big white topaz stones. The intrinsic value couldn't be more than $30, but it originally sold for $1195. And it is ugly as hell. As my daughter said, it looks like something from a gumball machine. Who are the people that buy this kind of junk on a regular basis? I just don't get it. My daughter has lots of Tiffany, Gucci and Pandora jewelry, but I bought it on the secondary market and don't have much money in it. The only reason I buy it is because she likes it. I personally don't own a single piece of designer jewelry that I wear. If I'm going to pay $1195 for a ring, it better have $1200 or more gold in it at scrap value.

·
Mother Hen
50,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only time I see stuff like that is when it is being liquidated on Gem Shopping.
I kind of doubt they are liquidating John Hardy stuff, but I could be wrong. Most high end designer brands would destroy it before liquidating it, because it dilutes the value of their brand. I never see Tiffany stuff on closeout.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I kind of doubt they are liquidating John Hardy stuff, but I could be wrong. Most high end designer brands would destroy it before liquidating it, because it dilutes the value of their brand. I never see Tiffany stuff on closeout.
I don't know, seems like Gem Shopping liquidates a lot of designer stuff. I think the number of designers that can afford to destroy merchandise is a lot smaller than the number that need to recoup what they can.

·
Mother Hen
50,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, seems like Gem Shopping liquidates a lot of designer stuff. I think the number of designers that can afford to destroy merchandise is a lot smaller than the number that need to recoup what they can.
I never watch those shows, but I'm just speculating. A friend of mine owns Jade of Yesteryear that shows on Home Shopping Network. She travels the world sourcing stones, getting inspiration for designs and appearing on the shows.

·
Mother Hen
50,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shinny rocks and metal that you wear.. LOL
I love shiny stuff. I think I was a magpie in another life. Diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds for me. My personal jewelry is unique. I wear an emerald and diamond panther pendant and a gold panther bracelet with emerald eyes. With as much jewelry as I go through, it is kind of expected that wear unique stuff.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I got all night.. I've been home sick since Wednesday.. I'm refreshing pages looking for new content at an all time high. LOL

·
Registered
812 Posts
we don’t buy designer. Waste of money. But I did buy real sapphires in Kashmir on a work trip there. Paid $400. Got home thought I would get them locally appraised. They appraised them at $2200. Had them made into a ring and ear rings for my wife

·
Registered
981 Posts
For many items you are correct.

But a lot depends on the product line and its perceived value by the public. Which of course can change.

High end watches (Breitling isn't in this group by a long shot) are a whole different area.

Lets look at Rolex (since you brought them up). Currently you are not buying a Rolex for a discount anywhere. Many times, especially the Stainless Steel models ($5-$13K range) , you can buy one (if you can find it) at MSRP from an Authorized Dealer, walk out and sell it on the grey market for anywhere from 20-100% more than what you paid for it. The reason comes down to desire versus limited supply. Rolex controls the supply and their dealers are not allowed to charge more than MSRP set by Rolex. Just do a search on Rolex watches say a Rolex Daytona and see what the grey market is charging vs MSRP on the Rolex site (as of today, Daytona White Dial SS, MSRP 13K, Grey $29K on Chrono24) - huge, huge difference. Used doesn't bring the price down much either, unless it is beat to shit.

Other hot brands are Patek Philippe & Richard Mille. Try an find them below MSRP, ain't gonna happen and the grey market forget about it.

The big problem in this area is fakes coming out of China. Nowadays the fakes are incredibly good (known as super fakes) and if you are buying from someone you don't know - the best thing is to take the watch and have it checked at an authorized dealer to make sure it is real.

Steve

·
Mother Hen
50,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For many items you are correct.

But a lot depends on the product line and its perceived value by the public. Which of course can change.

High end watches (Breitling isn't in this group by a long shot) are a whole different area.

Lets look at Rolex (since you brought them up). Currently you are not buying a Rolex for a discount anywhere. Many times, especially the Stainless Steel models ($5-$13K range) , you can buy one (if you can find it) at MSRP from an Authorized Dealer, walk out and sell it on the grey market for anywhere from 20-100% more than what you paid for it. The reason comes down to desire versus limited supply. Rolex controls the supply and their dealers are not allowed to charge more than MSRP set by Rolex. Just do a search on Rolex watches say a Rolex Daytona and see what the grey market is charging vs MSRP on the Rolex site (as of today, Daytona White Dial SS, MSRP 13K, Grey $29K on Chrono24) - huge, huge difference. Used doesn't bring the price down much either, unless it is beat to shit.

Other hot brands are Patek Philippe & Richard Mille. Try an find them below MSRP, ain't gonna happen and the grey market forget about it.

The big problem in this area is fakes coming out of China. Nowadays the fakes are incredibly good (known as super fakes) and if you are buying from someone you don't know - the best thing is to take the watch and have it checked at an authorized dealer to make sure it is real.

Steve
I hate Rolex. They have always looked cheap to me. I have owned one Patek Phillipe pocket watch movement I sold for $3000. We have bought and sold a couple of rolexes. I like Omega and Lecoultre. I sold a Lecoultre diamond mystery dial. The most unusual watch I ever sold was a 14k green gold Hamilton. I've sold many Omegas and Lecoultres. My boyfriend wears an Omega Constellation. I love buying and selling men's watches. I once traded some watches for a car. Lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no argument with whether Rolex is beautiful or not. Whatever floats your boat.

However, your argument was based on intrinsic value:

"I purchased about four hundred pieces of jewelry this week and there is a decent amount of designer stuff. I got several pieces by John Hardy, but a ring in particular, pretty much blows my mind. It is nothing but a big sterling ring with big white topaz stones. The intrinsic value couldn't be more than $30, but it originally sold for $1195."

The definition of intrinsic value is what an investor perception is as to the value of an item.

Based on that - irrespective of our view point - it comes down to what others view the value to be. So Rolex would not fit in the area of being worth less than the intrinsic value is all I am saying.

By the way - I think some of the Rolex model line is over the top and Ugly. I only own 2 - a Z Blue Milgauss & a CHNR since I thin they are funky/fun.

Steve

1 - 20 of 128 Posts