Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is supposed to be a tighter 9.5" converter for use with spray compared to the 8" converter I had for motor use last year. It sounds tight to me on launch, but my friend says that it sounds loose the whole way down the track. I have not sprayed it yet, going to this weekend at the track. Shifting at 6500rpm and trapping at around 6800rpm (which is actually higher rpm then I did with my motor only converter last year with less power).

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
763 Posts
What does it stall to with a nitrous launch? If it was built for spray then we don't really care what it does on motor. Those converters work better with more power thrown at them. So my recommendation would be spray it.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it stall to with a nitrous launch? If it was built for spray then we don't really care what it does on motor. Those converters work better with more power thrown at them. So my recommendation would be spray it.
It has not yet been sprayed...And I sure as hell hope your right about working better with more power (though im not sure how that works), because to me it seems tight on the launch, but might be loose on the top end...Going to the track Monday with some bottles, see what happens I guess

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It seems this, It sounds like that.

You can't gauge a converters performance based on sound. Compared to your 8", what does it flash to, where does it drop on the shift?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Saying a NOS converter works better on spray would imply that it'll loosen up when sprayed. Not tighten up.

Adding power makes a converter act looser.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Saying a NOS converter works better on spray would imply that it'll loosen up when sprayed. Not tighten up.

Adding power makes a converter act looser.
Not exactly. That's what's good about the evolution of things. It can be a little looser down low with power but lock up better going down track.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Not really sure how that works. The basic physics of "fluid coupling" (which is what a converter is), say that more power is gonna show it looser. Including the slip numbers at the top.

I'm no converter guy, its just what I know and I don't know everything. Can one of the converter experts shed some light on this?

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to the track yesterday....Converter is too tight on motor, but not tight enough for the spray. I am going to try a couple of things, but more then likely the converter will need to be coming out for a re-stall. I was really hoping that the converter would be really tight that way atleast if it was still tight on the spray, I could add more pill to get it where it is just right. Instead it is the opposite and neither motor or spray performance are very good at this point.

Going to try a few things first but unfortunately I am at the mercy of the weather with the car being outside and what seems like non stop rain here

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want 2 converters. I don't care if it is tight as hell on the motor, I want to spray the car. I can just run the car on motor in a bracket class if I really want to. What I am getting at is the converter was too tight for motor (I like to get the tune on motor close before spray) and too loose for spray. Only 6500 because it is a 408 and didn't really pick up shifting any higher either

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well based on my data and calculations, the converter is slipping about 13% on the motor...And even worse on spray. I can't calculate it since I had to let off the gas as I was on the limiter big time. Converter was supposed to be built for the nitrous.

If a converter is slipping excessively, can that kill mph?? What about if a converter is tight, but does not slip as much- will that give a higher mph even if the e/t is not there because the converter is too tight? Reason I ask is because the car is NOT mph'ing what it should on the motor, and I am wondering if the slippage has anything to do with that.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its out in left field. Send it back.

Hutch
Yea it looks like I am going to be yanking the transmission to change the converter. I am not sure if I am still in the "re-stall" time limit most companies have. Wondering if I am better off trying another converter.

What data should I provide to get it tightened? I mean after all I couldn't even make a full nitrous pass since it was on the limiter BIG TIME and I had to let off...10.60 at 118mph on a 150 hit

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't notice it at the track what the rpm on the shift dropped to. I just re-adjusted my bands however as it seemed like I was having a shift flareup, especially on the 2-3, and I took the car for a drive just now. Shifting at 6500, the rpms drop about 5-700. I also stall tested the car by driving in 3rd gear at about 15mph and matting the throttle- it went to 4800-5000rpm. Converter is supposed to be a 4000 stall. Going to call Mike at Freakshow and see what he can do for me

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
If it goes to 5000 in high gear to the floor but it only drops 5-700 on a shift that doesn't make sense. Both should indicate stall speed and should be the same number within a couple hundred rpm.

Hutch

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it goes to 5000 in high gear to the floor but it only drops 5-700 on a shift that doesn't make sense. Both should indicate stall speed and should be the same number within a couple hundred rpm.

Hutch
Well, unless I looked at it wrong, but that is what it looked like I saw...With that rpm drop, how do you tell the stall?

Converter is out of the car, just got it boxed up, ready to send it back tomorrow. Talked to Michael, and he is thinking 3500-3800 stall would be much more ideal. Definitely too loose for what I am trying to do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mshred.....quick question, I built a 408 for my old car and have been following your post....Gapped the rings for 150 and like you want to go as fast as I can....Now I am running a glide from PTC and the stall that Kenny Ford said I needed is suppose to fall between 38-4200 depending on my gear choice (4.10 on the high side, 4.56 on the low side)..I went with a 4.30 to be in the middle....Now I am still building but wandered what gear you are running......Thanks....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts