Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM steering columns have a crush factor built into them in the intermediate shafts for front end crashes.But when you convert to a R&P all I am seeing is a u-joint.I looked at acouple and didn't see a aftermarket column that had that design.Am I missing it??. Has there been cases in a front end crash where the steering shaft came back on the driver??. What does the rule book say about this??.:confused:

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is kind of one of my questions. Your all strapped in tight with your 5 point so your movement is at best limited and have a front end crash. With a R&P all you have is a u-joint to prevent the steering shaft from coming back at you.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
NHRA General rules.

A secondary steering shaft stop must be installed to prevent long shaft from injuring driver in case of frontal impact. (i.e. collar or U-joint pinned at crossmember, bracket etc. )

It's in the rule book.

·
Deplorable Basketcase
9,749 Posts
like fm said,a two piece collar with allen bolts..put it behind the top heim joint.

makes the shaft want to bend instead of coming through straight and giving you an undercut to the jaw.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
How about some pics of this shaft stop set up?
It's called a "split collar" and you can get it at any hardware store for your shaft diameter. Put it forward of your last point of support for the steering shaft as Wild Child said. Pretty simple actually, and adds quite a bit of extra protection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts