Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Mosin Nagant 1932/49, 2 dates beacuse of the refinish, but it is a MO stamped gun too. A friend of mine is going through a divorce and wanted to unload some stuff so i purchased it. He is a friend and claimed the symbols were rare. It is also a hex reciever weapon, not a carbine. I was on 7.62x54.net trying to do alitle research and it was a bit overwhelming. any help?? thanx--dan
If you have questions plz feel free to post em up

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i'm not sure about anything when it comes to moisin stuff, but i DID see two of them for sale in cabelas at their lacy, wasington store last wednesday for CHEAP, like i mean under 150.00 each cheap. they werent in great condition, but considering their age,and what intended use was, i wouldnt consider them to be in particularly bad shape either. i'm not sure what your friend was asking for them, but if you felt you got a decent deal, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pd 150 for the gun with 300+ rounds ammo can and after market butt stock pad. I know ya can find them online for under a hundo, but i have another one, a carbine with all synthetic stock, scope, bi-pod and i have alot of fun with it. The ammo was what seemed attrictive in conjunction with the weapon. I prolly won't shoot this one too much, but to help a friend i said what the hell-- the weapon is a strong 7 outta 10 concidering it is 60+yrs since refirb. Has the russian hammer and sickle on reciever with various other markings including the date

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
we were out at the range two weeks ago with one and it was a blast......especially when we found out what my buddy had into it with 1000 rounds of ammo. lol.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Wish I saw this thread sooner. The MO stamped, dual date, Mosin Nagants are certainly more rare. The MO stamp is for the Ministerstvo Oborony also known as the Ministry of Defense. As long as the rifle has not been altered, it is a good collectible rifle. Take care of it and clean it after every range trip to keep the corrosive salts from the surplus ammo from destroying the barrel. If you paid $150 for it with 300 rounds, you did alright. Its not a standard 91/30 so its worth more. A standard hex receiver 91/30 can be had for under $100, I paid $79 for mine. Take care of it and let me know if you ever want to sell it, I will take it.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I have a bunch of Mosins and have been into them for years.

If it has not been modified, it is worth about $125.00 to $200 bucks.
A retail price, in a store, might be as high as $300.00, but that would be a high price and hard to sell.

Look at the bolt, magazine and receiver and see if the numbers match. Sometimes the bayonet numbers will also match. If none of the numbers match, it is worth less.

Whatever you do, dont sand the stock, or try to clean it up. The aftermarket butt pad makes it worth less, (but does make it easier to shoot)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the gun is all numbers matching--bolt, mag and reciever. As for the butt pad, i have the stock metal bracket to reinstall if need be. The pad mounted with only one screw like the original bracket did. I wouldnt even think about refinishing this thing, it is in great condition concidering its age. (but thankyou though!!) This gun did not come with a bayonette, it does however have the cleaning rod. I'm kinda blown away the more i look at this thing.. I gotta post some pics!!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just keep it and shoot it. They are a lot of fun, and are always a conversation piece at the range. Ammo is cheap, but you need to learn how to clean it after shooting since the ammo is corrosive.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
"whats your advice??--"

Well, you will get a bunch of different opinions. Here is what I do.

I take a bottle of windex with Ammonia and a can of WD 40 with me to the range.
The surplus ammo has salt so you have to neutralize the salt or it will rust and pitt the barrel..
After I am done shooting, I spray the chamber of the rifle with the windex and let it flush out the barrel. I kind of let it run down and move the gun around to get the whole inside of the barrel covered in windex. I let it drip for about a minute.
Then I spray it down with the WD 40. This is just to clean out the Windex.
Then I clean it normal when I get home with patches and hoppes.

The whole deal takes about 2 minutes per rifle and you can just set them at an angle on your tailgate or what ever and let them drip out.
All my Mosins look perfect, with no rust or corrosion at all. And I shoot them a lot.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Boiling hot water down the barrel after shooting works perfect. Also the hex is more sought after but still around $150 on the high side. You did good you helped a friend and saved a little money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts