Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested to see if anyone is data logging boost at the turbo. If you are and would be willing to share loss if any between the turbo and final inlet to the throttle body. I am seeing a 10psi variation from the turbo to the throttle body. If this is normal is there a point where you can over spin a turbo trying to acheive a certain amount of boost.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
X2
Is it injected or blow thru?

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel injected with an intercooler. I run two 3" tubes from the turbo merging into a 4". There is a good 6' of 4" back to the intercooler and then another 6' forward to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
891 Posts
To me, 10 lbs of loss seems very high... but you also have alot fo IC piping. Is there anyway you could redo it to minimize the overall length of the tubing?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Joe, i've seen about 5psi just in the tubes on a passenger seat area mounted twin setup, you might have a little more since yours is all the way back their at the end of the bus you drive, lol. 6' of 4" x 2, plus the 3" tubes = alot of tubing, plus whatever the cooler is dropping

also how hard are you spinning the turbos, they might be loosing efficiency and start dropping psi

Rob

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I've wondered how much the length of tubing plays on boost loss and how much time it takes to make X amount of boost.

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe, i've seen about 5psi just in the tubes on a passenger seat area mounted twin setup, you might have a little more since yours is all the way back their at the end of the bus you drive, lol. 6' of 4" x 2, plus the 3" tubes = alot of tubing, plus whatever the cooler is dropping

also how hard are you spinning the turbos, they might be loosing efficiency and start dropping psi

Rob
Robert,

I was waiting for that one. Its a short bus. By the way can you send me some stickers. The new fuel cell rocked.

Joe

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure you pressure test the whole system throttle body to turbo outlet. Frozen boost has couplers you can buy. I use a leakdown tester on mine. Pressure leaks kill turbos!
Do you have a picture of these couplers? Is it worth making my own or just buying them?

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Do you have a picture of these couplers? Is it worth making my own or just buying them?
They are 29 bucks and basically a silicone coupler, 2 t bolts and a cap for one end.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Often can be made with a silicone coupler, pipe cap from Home Depot, and some air fittings. Just be careful if that shit comes flying off, there's a lot of energy there.

At first 10psi seems high although I'd almost bet it's not uncommon either, especially if your I/C is mounted in the back seat. How big of a core are you using?

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Often can be made with a silicone coupler, pipe cap from Home Depot, and some air fittings. Just be careful if that shit comes flying off, there's a lot of energy there.

At first 10psi seems high although I'd almost bet it's not uncommon either, especially if your I/C is mounted in the back seat. How big of a core are you using?
Its a Chiseled 4000 model.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have you calibrated the sensors or switched the sensors to see if there is a difference. If one reads high and one reads low you could see a big difference.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Pressure testing seems like a great idea and I want to do it to my system but I am a little confused. Looking at the description on the frozenboost website it says to use the tester at the turbo inlet but the tester diameter only goes to 4".. Also if you pressure test it on the inlet of the turbo is it possible to damage compressor wheel with say 32 psi ?? or am I over thinking this?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
i will be as my anderson pms and interacq allows me upto 8 custom sensors and so far i've added egts, a wideband, fuel pressure (helped me diagnose a faulty afpr) and i have a pressure sensor whcih i plan to install at the turbo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts