Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Camaro with an F-3 on eathanol. My air temp sensor is in my manifold above my injectors so I don't Know how much it's cooling the air temp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same question. I have been using E85 in my turbo small block and my air temp sensor is before the injectors. It gets pretty warm up there, but I figure it is dropping quite a bit in the chamber area. My buddy runs his roots blown engine on E85 and condensation forms on the hat and blower using E85 on a 90+ degree day. He say the condensation blows back onto the windshield making it wet, so it must be doing something. He thinks if it were cooler outside it would turn to frost. We'll find out going into the cooler months.
Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
alcohol cooling

The latent heat of vaporization of methanol and ethanol are
3,340 and 2,378 Btu/gal.
The latent heat of vaporization of gasoline is approximately 900
Btu/gal.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Whats up Cary,

Good to see some MD guys on the board.

I wonder if anyone on the board has actually probed deep inside the intake port to find out how well it cooled thier combo in a simalar situation. The amount of actual cooling in degrees would be really hard for anyone to calculate scientifically, when you are spraying it into the intake ports. The amount of alcohol flowed, droplet size, pressure drop and time period as the intake valves open will control the change in temperature since they control the amount of alcohol vaporized.

The amount of temperature drop on a roots setup is really great as the alky is subjected to a huge vacuum as soon as it hits the hat on the other hand anyone with a roots blower would sell a picture of there sister to have a charge temp of only 240 degrees;)

Richard Gavle

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
" on the other hand anyone with a roots blower would sell a picture of there sister to have a charge temp of only 240 degrees:wink:
"
my temps were 270 at 9% OD above the I/C and 130 below with tap water.[70*F]
someone had posted there temps as 130 with alky14lbs,roots 8-71.i cant recall who it was.sorry.naturaly a procharger or turbo would have different results.i also got 1HP per degree F dropped.

·
Registered
874 Posts
.i also got 1HP per degree F dropped.
Really? 100+ HP gain? That's great.

Last month on a 100 degree day I saw 216 degree IATs before the injectors. I'm adding a meth kit, just hoping to lower the IATs.
If I was to gain a little power along the way, that would be a plus :smt038.

---Bill.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Really? 100+ HP gain? That's great.

Last month on a 100 degree day I saw 216 degree IATs before the injectors. I'm adding a meth kit, just hoping to lower the IATs.
If I was to gain a little power along the way, that would be a plus :smt038.

---Bill.
if you want to gain real HP go with a A/W intercooler.the meth kit is limited.you may gain 40HP thru temp drop and timing added that the injection will allow.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Blownzoom440,

On Cary's setup the charge air temp is prior to the addition of fuel and subsequent cooling it provides, also the F-3 flow is comparable to a 14/71 50 over. I assume your setup is a conventional roots deal with the carb or half the injectors on top of the blower.

I should have been a little more clear and said anyone with a roots putting out that kinda boost would have been happy to see those charge air temps prior to any cooling. On a roots when you are running 50 over by the end of the run at 8-10 grand charge air temps are in that range despite pooring a pint of alky through the blower hat nozzles every second or so:p

Richard Gavle

·
Registered
179 Posts
" on the other hand anyone with a roots blower would sell a picture of there sister to have a charge temp of only 240 degrees:wink:
"
my temps were 270 at 9% OD above the I/C and 130 below with tap water.[70*F]
someone had posted there temps as 130 with alky14lbs,roots 8-71.i cant recall who it was.sorry.naturaly a procharger or turbo would have different results.i also got 1HP per degree F dropped.
i think it was me posting that, i even saw 120 with the 871 14lbs and e85. now with the screw compressor i get below 100. but thats when i floor it on the street, it will be interesting try this thing on the strip. i think it will show the same temps or even lower because the temp drops more and more as long im at wot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was spinning the hell out of my 8-71 to make a hair under 1000hp, switched to an F3R and made 1447 at 19psi... I'm spraying meth right now with 26* of timing, gonna add an air to water next month and try a little more timing...
I'd like to see some more pics of that 55"

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
filthy thanks for bringing back my memory on your temps.LOL.
would you still put an A/W cooler on with temps that low?i guess the only advantage would be HP gain with no real tuning advantage of timing or octane as it is with meth.if ya wanted more power you would just add more boost.
ASH those are some cool temps for turbo/28 lbs!i only know of some hayabusa/turbo temps in that range being in the 200+ for 28 lbs.did you loose temps in the intake system length?the busa would have had big gains with meth injection insted of race gas.i am suprised builders like John Noonan did not run meth for the better temps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
dont know if i get what you mean but i could not exeed 20:1 effective comp (9:1 static 20+lbs boost) at the dyno without detonation. 18 lbs was ok. im going to the dyno shop again this winter and try a new combo: splayed valve 400+ sbc screw blown e85. i hope to run 25 lbs without detonation. maybe i try some meth injection at high boost, but i dont want to run meth as the main fuel because i want to use the car on the street. i think it will be nice to let the efi control the meth injection so the nozzels are trigged by a specific boost level. anyone doing this and can share some ideas?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Blownzoom440,

On Cary's setup the charge air temp is prior to the addition of fuel and subsequent cooling it provides, also the F-3 flow is comparable to a 14/71 50 over. I assume your setup is a conventional roots deal with the carb or half the injectors on top of the blower.

I should have been a little more clear and said anyone with a roots putting out that kinda boost would have been happy to see those charge air temps prior to any cooling. On a roots when you are running 50 over by the end of the run at 8-10 grand charge air temps are in that range despite pooring a pint of alky through the blower hat nozzles every second or so:p

Richard Gavle
thanks! i understand better.sorry for getting off track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts