Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what i got going is my 06 dodge 2500 mega cab when i pull a trailer has real bad torque convertor chatter i think.i take it to the dealer they tell me theres nothing wrong .ok i mite be the smartest guy but i do work on cars for a leaving and a ase master tech hopely i know whats going on. my question is what do i do.to go on i have load leveler bars on the truck does not set down in the back from stock .they keep saying it may be pinion angle.it fell total diffent from that when u get on a on ramp it just shaking to you get up to speed.i went to nc 2 weeks ago i thought i got so bad that i i thought it was going out .and they say it fine what do i say to get them to fix it have these truck had a bad problem with it.thanks for any help

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have'nt seen a new dodge with a converter chatter but I have seen a couple with drive shaft angle problems in trucks with a two piece drive shaft . when wieght is put in or on the back of the truck it causes an angle problem where the support bearing bolts to the frame . They make diffrent thickness supports that bolt under that bearing to help correct this problem. If it is a converter problem you could try flushing the trans this somtimes will repair the problem also. I hope this info helps in some way good luck.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Driveshaft harmonics caused by putting a load on the truck. That is lame but that is going to be your problem. Have heard of this before on other brands. These harmonics can lead to other failures in the driveline if not dealt with.

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
sounds like you have a chip on it no? Mine does the same thing(an 04')I was told it was the high gear clutches or whatever. When it does it, let off the throttle, allowing the clutches to grab, then throttle back up...

·
Registered
975 Posts
more than likely the converter. I just replaced the converter in my 03 for same problem. The driveline alignment issue causes a funny lil wiggle when taking off and a vibration at high speed (80+). Load everything up and take the tech and service writer for a ride. If they cant duplicate the problem, they arent just gonna sling parts at it. Must duplicate problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
being a dealer tech, i understand both sides here.go to the dealer loaded up and the truck doing it. take their foreman or best guy for a ride and it will get fixed. it might take a few calls to STAR or whatever or maybe even a district rep, but work with them "nicely" don't be a dick and you'll get it taken care of. torque converter and the drive shaft vibration are both definite possibilites, but you can't fix anything over the internet, usually.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The 45RFE trans is real common for this your probly gonna have to take the tranny guy for a ride with ur trailer on it make sure the trailer doesn't exceed your max capacity or they will void your warranty....make sure when you do a serv change the little spin on filter in the pan too...that thing will cause you a lot of trouble..

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
mine has a real bad vibration from 25-31 mph then it goes away...as if a switch was turned off. Even from a coast down, once the truck goes through these speeds it does it. I even tried to see if it goes away in nuetral and it is still there. It ONLY happens at this low speed...which most of the speed limits around here are 25 mph!! .I took my tranny guy for a ride in it and he doesn't think it is in the tranny. I took it to a diesel tech and he is clueless.

I replaced the hanger bearing and it still does it. Any ideas??? It is present all the time, loaded or not. Truck is an 04 1 ton dually, auto. Fuel mileage is still up, 22-23 in town. We even thought it might be a bad injector pulsing, but wtf do I know???

ken

·
Registered
508 Posts
i've seen u joints cause problems like 88mmRocket is describing. it vibrates pretty hard at lower speeds and seems to go away at higher ones. it's still there at the higher speeds, but you really have to be looking for it. i fixed one of those last week in a 2500 diesel dodge.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My buddy had the same problem. There is a harmonic balancer on the driveshaft his rubber retaining ring was shot. Replaced it and good to go. Might check this on yours. I'm not ruling out your converter just throwing other ideas at you. I upgraded my t/c and vb way better! These tranny's are questionable at best especially if you throw more power at them! U joints are also a problem on these trucks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my truck has 80000 miles the trans was redone in it 19000 miles ago to fix this problem and it came right back the trailer is a 24 ft enclosed with a 3000 lb car not overloaded.i set the load levlers on the tongue to the truck is leave always.so do u still think it would be the drive shaft thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts