Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a newer truck, and like the Dodge . Can someone please tell me what to look for and what to stay way from in a Ram 1500 from 2006-2007-2008? Hemi better then 4.7? What years and problem with MDS? Fuel economy, or lack there of?

Most likely getting a quad cab 4X4, but maybe a Mega cab.

Thanks, John

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
the things i see come in my shop are ..radiators ..blower motor and resitors..other than that they are gas hogs

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My son has a crew cab newer hemi that shuts down 1/2 the motor at cruise on the hiway...he normally gets 20-21 mpg with it while I (doing 60-65 only) got a darn decent 23!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea I have a 2008 hemi quad cab. 16-18 in town 23 easy on the highway if you stay below 70. After 2k rpms, it kicks the other 4 in and mpg drops to about 14-16. Its been a good truck otherwise.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I leased a 2008 Ram 1500 and it was a great truck while i had it. It did however, need both front struts replaced under warranty. Leaked out all the oil and that wasn't taking it off road at all. No other problems.

Get the Hemi if you plan on towing anything, tons of power.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Get the hemi definitly! About the same mpg but a bunch more power! I had an 08 Ram quad cab hemi, and it was a real nice truck and it get about 20mpg if you stay around 65mph. I acutally just ordered a new 2010 Ram CrewCab hemi that should be here next week, I cant wait!!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. So GAS HOGS you say? Well I have an '08 Chevy Uplander minivan. And it get 22 on the highway on my recent trip from Canada to Florida, 23 once! That was 2.5 adults and misc. clothing/luggage. and that was a CANADIAN gallon, not the small US gallon. IF I can get a Hemi Dodge to get the same as the Uplander, I'M GOOD. That's why I'm looking at a truck.

I've been overloading the van on a weekly bases. 1500-2200 lbs of steel, LOL. it's doing it, but it's starting to get old driving 1 3/4 hours with NO SUSPENSION.

BTW, when did the Hemi with MDS come out? Any KNOWN faults with the '06 or '07 Hemi's?

John

·
Registered
489 Posts
the MDS come out in the 06 1500 rams, as far as faults none on my end very solid motor, on a recent trip from mass to Georgia I got 21mpg with it not bad for a full size truck.
Thanks guys. So GAS HOGS you say? Well I have an '08 Chevy Uplander minivan. And it get 22 on the highway on my recent trip from Canada to Florida, 23 once! That was 2.5 adults and misc. clothing/luggage. and that was a CANADIAN gallon, not the small US gallon. IF I can get a Hemi Dodge to get the same as the Uplander, I'M GOOD. That's why I'm looking at a truck.

I've been overloading the van on a weekly bases. 1500-2200 lbs of steel, LOL. it's doing it, but it's starting to get old driving 1 3/4 hours with NO SUSPENSION.

BTW, when did the Hemi with MDS come out? Any KNOWN faults with the '06 or '07 Hemi's?

John

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just came in from looking at an '06 Quad-cab Hemi sport 2WD shortbox. Nice clean truck, 40,000 miles. Going to "stu" over it for a couple days, and go on Saturday and see if I can get it for the weekend!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had a 4.7 took that pig back 5 monthe later got the 5.7 hemi. The 4.7 wouldnt pull a sick whore of a park bench. Very pleased with the hemi its a 97 4 door pulling the race car I can pull out of traffic and pass someone with it. The mileage depends on if you can keep your foot out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts