Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically I'm a Ford guy but the troubles with their diesels has me looking elsewhere. Need a heavy duty truck to pull our 38' Formula boat.
Cummins has been around forever and being a truck driver for nearly 41 years, I'm quite familiar with the their product. Anything I need to be aware of before I move forward? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Transmission and converters are weakest link.

Broke the output shaft in mine at 79k miles and the converter was starting to chatter pretty good too. Called BD and put a billet dual disc converter in it with all their billet stuff for the trans. Haven't had a single issue in 135k miles.

Injectors went at 115k when the lift pump quit while under heavy load. Leaned out and torched them. I put a fast pump init, bigger CP3, and 50 horse injectors. Made a huge difference in performance.

Other than that, been a great truck.

03 2500HD 4x4

·
Registered
498 Posts
Depends what year you get. But all the autos need to be built with a converter. I have a built trans with a triple disk converter as wel I've also put new injector nozzles on they are 100% over exergy nozzles I need to do new injector bodies. My truck is an 08 6.7 so it needs head studs as well. But they have tons of power and will last forever of you don't beat the shit out of them. This is my second one

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Depends on the year. What years do you have in mind?

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,521 Posts
o great , another one of these what truck / diesel should i buy ....... within the next 24 hrs we should be up to 10 pages why this truck is better than that one

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Big rust problems in the north and weak steering components but to top it off the Cummins is by name only and built by Chrysler :SHTF

·
Custom User Title
1,721 Posts
Keep it stock and dont bomb it.
You will end up with the most reliable truck you have ever owned.

·
Registered
21,163 Posts
The worst part I suppose is you have to drive around with your mirrors all the way out looking like a douche bag.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you had a 6.0 I understand but try the 08 to 2010 6.4 I love mine or try one of the 6.7 trucks I have several friend that have them and love their trucks . One of the guys I know done what your thinking about doing and he has regretted it ever since the cummins is a good engine but Mickey Mouse built the rest of the truck .

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Dodge has come a long ways in recent years with their trucks and transmissions. Any of the big 3 build a nice HD truck now. Go test drive some and pick the one you like.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've got a 2007 6.7 cummins 4x4 Laramie 2500. Love the truck. Pretty much stock except for efi live and 3 inch leveling coils. Sits on 35s. Put it on the 40 hp heavy tow tune. I drive it nice and tow 10k trailer all day. I change oil every 5000, fuel filter ever other oil change great truck.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Need to know which generation, price range, etc, every one has their own set of advantages and disadvantages...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Thank You all that replied. Even the smart asses, got a chuckle from that. You can always count on the Bullet for some kind of info. Thanks again. :smt098

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a 06 2500 5.9 mega cab manual 6 speed with a triple disc clutch, exhaust, bully dog tuner, leveling kit, helper bags and 20s with 33in all terrains and 161k on the clock! Not one single issue! Best damn truck I've ever had! First owner changed ball joints, and track bar out at 100k, and all I've done to it other than the modifications is rotors and pads! 17-18 mpg in town, 23-24 on highway! Avg 17 pulling the 30ft enclosed with car and golf cart at 70mph!

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,521 Posts
LMAO, sorry 225 digger, didn't want a pissing contest just a few opinions.
you know how it is with brand loyalty on forums . i have an 03 2500 hd 5.9 with 6spd , and dad has a 07.5 6.7 with the auto 6 spd .

both have there issues but drive trains have little issues , a few water pumps on mine , a droped injector at 125k . dads blocked DPF around 155k ..... his is just a 2wd dually and it drives real nice . mine sucks since its 4x4..... i like the auto in his combined with the exhuast brake you almost dont need brakes going down hills

1 - 20 of 26 Posts