Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Docol R8 steel tubing. Any thoughts on this? Bet it's price is up there. Has any one used it yet?

SFI DOOR CAR SPECS REVISED - Nov. 5, 2012: The SFI Specs for Full Bodied Car Roll Cages have been revised, effective November 5, 2012. The revised versions are designated as SFI Specs 25.1F, 25.2A, 25.3A, 24.4A, and 25.5A and are immediately available from SFI for use by sanctioning bodies and chassis builders. The extent of this revision is that Docol R8 steel tubing is now allowed as an acceptable structural material for roll cage construction. This addition comes after an extensive engineering review by SFI and the pertinent technical committees. The Docol R8 steel tube dimensions (outside diameter and wall thickness) are the same as those required for 4130 steel, therefore it is not necessary to purchase a new copy of the revised SFI Spec document if you already own the previous version. Please feel free to contact SFI with any questions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got some samples to play with, nice stuff. More money initially, but probably time saved in prep. Welds nice, real "fluid" puddle as compared to 4130. If I remember right, one of the benefits is more ductile as welded than moly. Kind of like mild steel with the strength of moly. AED has it in stock now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I saw that AED was saying that they had some ready to ship. I would be interested in some to test out, but a 10ft length of DOM 1 5/8" x 0.120 listed at $67 and change. When you have it shipped truck freight Indy to CT. It was $167 and change. It is nuts. I guess I'll need to order it as 8 ft and a drop. That can go UPS. I was also trying to find some DOM OR MOLY here locally. So far not happen. Guess I need to hit up the local Race Car Fab guy. To see if he'll get me something if and when he orders again. It sucks cause my local steel store is a pirate. Quoted me just about $100 for 2x2x.125/10ga. Last time. Being my needs are small they have no need to try to deal.
I have a good size project coming up and need to stock up on materials. If you want ERW or crap fence tubing there is some, but other stuff not so much.
I'll keep looking. The freight charges is what will kill me. Not trying to cry about it, Hell I never had to buy it all that much before. My employer took care of that. :) And I could get things most for little or no cost. Now it's grow up and play like a big boy. Ha Ha Ha.

TTYL.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I generally buy enough tubing at one time to build one car (dragster) plus some extra. The shipping cost to NH is just about what you said for the one piece. It is actually cheaper shipping than what I used to pay from Dillsburg In PA. And way better service. On my last order they threw in 2 10" pieces of DOCOL to evaluate. As soon as they update the dragster specs, I'm building a car with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here that. I have been out of the Fabrication trade for a few years. But I need to get back at it. Being on SSD/disabled sucks Moose nuts. Bored half the time and sick the other half. I need to do my sanity Project Fox while I can still get her done. Have tools and most of the skill too do it. But I might have to sell my body to science first.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
What is the advantage in using Docol R8 ....especially with it costing more than4130?

they say it's a bit more ductile and tighter tolerances. it was added for the European market it's more available there then 4130 is.

talked to SFI when it was first added to the specs and they told me the diameters and wall thicknesses are the same as 4130 and that there was no need to buy the new specs.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
they say it's a bit more ductile and tighter tolerances. it was added for the European market it's more available there then 4130 is.

talked to SFI when it was first added to the specs and they told me the diameters and wall thicknesses are the same as 4130 and that there was no need to buy the new specs.
Thanks, with the price being more...I don't think I'll ever be using it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I just was interested to see what you all thought about it. If this stuff is so good at those prices, It better GREAT. Coat also reflex being new and just getting in the pipe line too. Hell around here I may never ever see any. For one of the richest states CT is like the third world trying to get metal in non industrial lots. I called a good bit of local places today. And it seems like it's " Your looking for what? " Nope don't have that, why would I? I know it's out there. Just need to find it.
Everyone have a great Evening later.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have quotes from AED and RCS. Shipping is crazy. One was 167.00 just for S+H out of Denver plus the 68.00 for 1.625 x 0.120. x 8 foot of DOM. And other was 50.00 for 4130 1.625 x0.083 x 8 ft. shipping extra. He said most likely it would 50.00 S+H. It's just the nature of business. Hold only what you sell and move out in the short term. I don't order enough to really matter. And there isn't enough call for LTL for them. In the end it looks like RCS is the best deal so far. But UPS only takes 8 ft or less. I'll figure this out in a bit.
Donald

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
http://www.scotindustries.com/tubing-products.php

i chatted with this company 4 to 5 yrs back and they where trying to offer a tubing similar to the Docol R8 , after quickly reading the document provided by Dennis it looks like the actual OD of the tubing is 1.650 if so how is one supposed to use their current 1.625 dia dia ? anyone have any images of bends done in a 1.625" dieset ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To Top355x
I'm down in North Haven, CT. I've thought about that very thing. We'll have to see when I get a chance to talk with him on Monday. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey folks . . . this is Dave from AED chiming in. Dennis: thanks for sharing a couple documents regarding Docol R8 from our website. If you have any trouble opening them, please try going to the Docol page on our website: http://www.aedmotorsport.com/catalog/product/docol-tube-r8.
There are several pdf documents there. The best one for reference might be the last one, DOCOL_R8_QUICK_FACTS.

We have the following sizes in stock of Docol R8, all imperial, or standard, dimensions:
1.50” OD x .065” wall
1.25” OD x .065” wall
1.25” OD x .058” wall
1.50” OD x .058” wall
1.125” OD x .058” wall
1.00” OD x .058” wall
.750” OD x .058” wall
1.00” OD x .049” wall
.875” OD x .058” wall
1.375” OD x .049” wall
1.625” OD x .083” wall
1.375” OD x .058” wall

There are several other sizes that are in production and we should see them in the coming months.

All of the tubes are roughly 20-foot lengths, and we can sell as little as 5-foot.

If we can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wish I had waited to get my 25.1F SFI book BEFORE I got a 4130 quote from you Dave! Does anyone know how the Docol 8 compares to moly in terms of weight?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Same weight - same thicknesses. Different Tensile, yield, and tolerances.

And about 15% more expensive.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I wish I had waited to get my 25.1F SFI book BEFORE I got a 4130 quote from you Dave! Does anyone know how the Docol 8 compares to moly in terms of weight?
I don't mean to highjack this thread....but hate to start a new one for this question so I hope you all don't mind. My question..... I wasn't aware of the 25.1F. I've got a 25.1E almost done and wondering is there any changes. Probably not, but now is a lot better time to find out.:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts