Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have always been into cars & racing. Our first date was at an oval dirt track. My first car was a '69' Camaro, hers was a '64' 1/2 Mustang. Our daughter got us into VW when she was 14. We spent two years restoring her '74'. Now she works on everything with me. Built her own motor for her car. One of my proudest days was when she walked into our bedroom about 6:30am on a Saturday, shakes me awake and wants me to get up so she can start on a '68' Karmann Ghia we had. Bout made me cry. She has been the first driver of every car we've brought home cause they have to be towed, I pull it, she steers it.

68 Ghia

Even the dog gets in on it. That's Jack :p

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
That's cool. My kids are daughter 9 and son 5. They always want to hangout back at the shop with me and they both like helping with things. I hope it will stick with them..at least enough to get themselves out of a jam.
Tell your daughter to watch her hair in the rollers of the creeper. When I had long hair.....I rolled mine up in the wheels a few times. lol
Sometimes I miss my hair. lol

·
Registered
784 Posts
You are a lucky man and she will make someone VERY happy one day. My son is 5 and he loves our cars! If I'm wrenching, he's there... So yea, I think he will share my passion.

·
Registered
29,533 Posts
No 1 out of 4 has the passion. He had a 74 Nova but it sat for years because it cost too much to build. he sold it a few months ago.

I remember piecing my shit together when I was a kid. Wasn't fast or right but it was my hot rod...LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 1960 Single Cab, first one to drive it again....

Jack running out the mice

Daughter moves right in

Who else is as lucky as me?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I got it from my dad and so far my soon to be 3 year old has it to. He can't get enough of it and loves the drag strip.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's cool. My kids are daughter 9 and son 5. They always want to hangout back at the shop with me and they both like helping with things. I hope it will stick with them..at least enough to get themselves out of a jam.
Tell your daughter to watch her hair in the rollers of the creeper. When I had long hair.....I rolled mine up in the wheels a few times. lol
Sometimes I miss my hair. lol
Yeah we've both left a few strains in the driveway :mad:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I got it from my Dad but my Son… not at all. Has no interest in going fast,no interest in Cars or Motorcycles. It was like raising an Alien.
I don't mean that in a bad way Love him very much but zero in common.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No 1 out of 4 has the passion. He had a 74 Nova but it sat for years because it cost too much to build. he sold it a few months ago.

I remember piecing my shit together when I was a kid. Wasn't fast or right but it was my hot rod...LOL
That's my daughter's attitude, not too fast but it's hers, she built it and she races it!

·
King of all Assclowns
11,308 Posts
No kids, but I have a niece that is like a daughter to me. Every time i visit my parents i'm always outside messing with something, and she is always right there watching me, trying to hand me tools i don't need lol. I'm going to try to steer her in the right direction.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
My 6 year old daughter is going through the Princess phase. She's Elsa and Cinderella all day every day!

My 4 year old is a Future Race car driver. She pretends she's lighting Mcqueen. She begs me to buy my Mustang some day. She's already tried borrowing the money from me now for it. She knowsthe difference between Camaro's, Corvettes, Mustangs, Chargers and challengers. She took apart her plastic Cadillac Hot wheels truck all over the lawn because she said it's to heavy and not fast enough. She comes begs me to go to my friends shop and work on cars. She holds the light and passes me tools. She knows what Pliers, wrenches, sockets, and the difference between flat and phillips are. The kid has a bin of Cars that has over 200 cars in it and she makes parking lots all over the house and sets up races all the time. I have never tried pushing cars on her at all. In fact, I told my wife I don't really want my girls to be like that.

I have a feeling my 4 year old will be acting just like yours some day. I actually really like that VW and I will be hitting up CL to look at them in just a little bit!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I don't have any kids, but I am nothing like either of my parents. They tried to get me into sports and to play a musical instrument, but I dropped them as soon as they let me. To this day I still don't like talking about cars around them because they did nothing but give me shit about it when I was younger.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I have brought my boys 7 & 10 to look at and buy Jr Dragsters at least 10 times, not really interested.
Last Christmas I brought them to the KTM dealer, I was sure they would want MX bikes, nope, no thanks.

One of them wants a soap box derby car even after hours of trying to up-sell him to a dragster or a Kart.

One clue about why is the other day one of their BMX bikes looked like the seat was too low, and the other boys skate board looked like the trucks were to loose.
I told them, "bring them down to the shop, I'll tune them up", they both said at the same time, "no thanks, it is fast enough the way it is".

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
My son has no interest at all :(

He's 12 and all he wants to do is play football and basketball. If I'm in the garage working on something, the only way I see him is if he needs me to blow up a ball.

I've had him help me, but he really just isn't interested.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I have no kids myself but will admit that would be one of my biggest fears if I had one. My Dads good buddy had one kid, a son. He would have given anything for his son to be into cars as he drag raced a '69 Dart he had had since '70 and never got rid of. His son couldn't possibly care any less about that car or cars in general. The kid was more into Star Wars and playing rock star in a garage band. He passed a few years back, still had the Dart. His son got the car but has probably sold it by now.

I have four nephews and not a one of them has any interest in cars. That's a shame because the '65 442 in my avi pic was bought new by my grandpa (their great grandpa) and they don't care anything about it. If none of them step up and show any interest I will just leave it to the REO museum (Olds museum in Lansing) as they only have donated cars and are very short on cars from the muscle car era. I'd rather do that than have one of them sell it and some son of a bitch put an LS motor in it.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
My son has no interest at all :(

He's 12 and all he wants to do is play football and basketball. If I'm in the garage working on something, the only way I see him is if he needs me to blow up a ball.

I've had him help me, but he really just isn't interested.
Has he went for a ride in your car? Taking a ride in a 9 second car always helps jump start an interest!

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
My son and daughter like cars, but they don't have the passion for racing or wrenching.

·
And I call you dipshit.
5,348 Posts
I've been racing with my dad since I was a little boy. Now he's 62 and I'm 30, still going strong. My brother races as well. My son is 8 weeks old and I'm hoping he can be the third generation. He likes watching live feeds with me, but he likes anything bright that makes noise at this point in time lol.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Has he went for a ride in your car? Taking a ride in a 9 second car always helps jump start an interest!
Lots of times actually. And he likes it....

I'm hoping it "clicks" one day and is something that he wants to do. I won't "push it on him" though.....because I'm fearful it will push him away.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts