Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use suspension limiting straps and if so, what type do you use? I know some people use chains. Could anyone explain how the straps help? Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
We use them to help prevent excessive wheelies. The front coil springs store energy when compressed, and will try to continue to lift the front of the car on excelleration. This will transfer weight from front to rear. All you are trying to do with limiters, is to stop the upward travel of the front of the car. Sometimes you want the struts/shocks looser, but still need to limit transfer. We use chains on our old chassis car. Paul Baxter

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Limiters are a good idea and a bad design. Good idea to stop front end travel. Bad design because the stiff hit when they tighten is enough shock the car into wheel spin. I personally don't use limiters and I prefer to use other chassis adjustments to keep the front end down.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad design because the stiff hit when they tighten is enough shock the car into wheel spin.
That was another thing I was thinking, if straps are used, there isn't as much of a "hard stop" compared to chains, or other mechanical stops.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
^^^^^ What he said^^^^^

Unless you are making a ludicrous amount of power I have seen people make the car work better by tightening the front shocks and controlling the application of the power. Leaving the limiters at full loose.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have home made suspension limiters on my car. With them, it simply slows the rise on the front of the car as it stands up making it controllable. Without the limiters, the car will wheelstand so fast it will literally jam the wheelie bars into the ground so hard it will rebound, shoving the front end back down unloading the suspension. Been there, done that, didnt like it one bit. And my car isnt terribly fast. It was running right around 10 flat at that time with a 3 speed trans; '69 mustang, back halved, ladder bar rear, stock type front suspension.

I have seen several folks using the straps, but I dont have any experience with them.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I sell chain type limiters I make. They are adjustable by just removing a pin and changing holes. They are 1/4" adjustment (most others are 1/2"). I get $100 for a kit. PM me if interested and I can email pictures.

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
Works well^^^^^nice kit

·
Registered
101 Posts
Limiters are a good idea and a bad design. Good idea to stop front end travel. Bad design because the stiff hit when they tighten is enough shock the car into wheel spin. I personally don't use limiters and I prefer to use other chassis adjustments to keep the front end down.

I agree with your statement for a tube chassis car that has a lot of available adjustments. But we run a lot of stock suspension cars. We have to walk that fine line of shock/strut adjustment verses limiter adjustment, to keep from finding the rear bumper. I run an older ladder bar, chassis car with a mustang II front suspension, that will not work without the limiters. It will hit the bars too hard, even if the shocks are tight on the front. Try to remove bite from rear with ladderbar, pinion angle, and shock adjustments to no avail. Using limiters, car will leave everytime without touching bars. Good reaction times, and consistent 60' and et's. Paul Baxter

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
just got done making limiters for the car- double layer 1"wide nylon with loops at each end , 5/16" per step adjustment upper bracket... I'm hoping the nylon woulnt shock the suspension as bad as cable or chain.

·
H&H Racing
10,919 Posts
I sell chain type limiters I make. They are adjustable by just removing a pin and changing holes. They are 1/4" adjustment (most others are 1/2"). I get $100 for a kit. PM me if interested and I can email pictures.
Martin makes a nice kit,just got mine a couple weeks ago havent had time to put them on yet:(

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Just got my new limiters from Jeff Chandler.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have home made suspension limiters on my car. With them, it simply slows the rise on the front of the car as it stands up making it controllable. Without the limiters, the car will wheelstand so fast it will literally jam the wheelie bars into the ground so hard it will rebound, shoving the front end back down unloading the suspension. Been there, done that, didnt like it one bit. And my car isnt terribly fast. It was running right around 10 flat at that time with a 3 speed trans; '69 mustang, back halved, ladder bar rear, stock type front suspension.

I have seen several folks using the straps, but I dont have any experience with them.
Can you post up a pic of your limiter set up for the 69 mustang?

I'm working on mine (69 GT350) now and trying to figure out a good set up to limit the travel without otherwise compromising the suspension.

I'm thinking some kinda' strap or cable from the upper/inner shock tower to the upper a-frame ball joint retaining bolts...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thx
mardyn
Looking for ideas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts