Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always lived in pretty big cities, and am trying to decide between a job offer in Memphis and another in a town of about 15K (also in TN). Realistically, the offer in the small town is probably the better opportunity (at least for the next few years). I'd like to hear some pro's and con's of small town life. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes, like living in a smaller town. Moved here from New Orleans in 85 and never want to live in a big city again. Things are a lot less rag race. People are nicer, shopping is ezer, schools are better, less crime and better nabors........

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I moved from Miami to a small town. It was like throwing over half a life time of stress away. Just dont be a night person. Not much to do in small towns after 9:00.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I lived in a small town for about 14 years and now live in the city and wouldn't go back even if I could make more $$ (I couldnt). I just dont like going to the store and seeing your old X GF's mom at the deli counter and your old principal that suspended you a few times at the check out, then your old co-worker at the gas station etc etc.

Moving to another one later in life though? I dont know...probably not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
small towns are nice if u dont mind doing nothing a lot.i lived in chicago an then moved back to the small town an it was good to relax for a bit but now im all relaxed im super bored with nothing to do.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,470 Posts
The cut back in traffic is enough reason alone for a small town. I spent 8 years living in North East NJ (Bergen county) before moving back home to Syracuse. It was a total pain in the ass to get anywhere in that area.

In Syracuse there is still plenty to do but it is not such a pain in the ass. Also, the cost of living is usually far less.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've lived in some small towns (1500-4500 people) and then I moved after college to Kansas City for several years. I moved back to my hometown about 4 years ago (about 50,000) and it seems just right. Big enough to have a good selection of things to do, but no so big that you have to drive 30-45 minutes to go "across town".

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go small bro......I moved from Miami to a little north of Chattanooga, my nearest neighbor is about 2 miles away in either direction, and there is only 15-20 of us that live on this mountain.

There is somthing nice about standing on your front porch taking a piss while holding a beer and screaming FUCK YOU at the top of your lungs and not having some cunt call the law on you for being lunatic fringe.....

Not to mention if you want to crank off a couple of rounds there is no hippie soccer mom there to call you a psychotic outcast!

The way I look at it is the city's are overcrowded, so if I go there I'm just adding to the problem..........

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well I live in a little town named Pahrump NV. Not much here, have a wallmart, one other supermarket and "THREE LEGAL WHOREHOUSES, 19 BARS YAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Rural = Good

Urban = Bad :-D

·
Registered
883 Posts
I love it here, just the down side is everything but the race track is 20 minutes away... Plus it only costs 24 dollars a year for a standard license plate, no emissions, no stupid limit to the number of cars you can own or gotta park everything in the driveway law.

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
Definitley small town, just an easier pace...2 hours to the closest track, but not bad

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I love it here, just the down side is everything but the race track is 20 minutes away... Plus it only costs 24 dollars a year for a standard license plate, no emissions, no stupid limit to the number of cars you can own or gotta park everything in the driveway law.

I feel you there on the emissions...I live in a small town as well here in Iuka MS, but the whole GD state has fuckin emisions and inspections for window tint every year. I am originally from AL which is only 30 minutes from here, so I kept my license and tag from there, still running my illegal 19% tint(illegal in both states), and have been here since Jan. of this yr. with no problems yet.

As for the bigger cities its nice to be up at 2am and go get something to eat, but other than that I'd stay away from Memphis at all cost...very bad city.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I agree with staying away from Memphis. Somerville and Oakland are some of the fastest growing cities in the state because of how crappy Memphis is. There is a FedEx pilot who bought a house and farm behind our farm, he still drives from here to Memphis every day which is about a hour and half drive each way.

I am really surprised that TN has not gone to emissions testing state wide like MS but I am sure glad they have not lol. I guess if they did then I would just have to register a couple of my trucks to the farm instead of just being in my name lol.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have lived in every size town/city there is and nothing is better than a small town. hell where i am living now has grown upto much since the "city" folk found the town. They want all that is good about a small town but still want all the other stuff so they bring in all these new rules and turn the small town into what they just left.

when this town was small everybody knew everybody and looked out for everybody. Cops knew everybody and all the mickey mouse crap just didn't exist. since all the city folk moved in i have my house up for sale and then i am out of here.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts