Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something slightly different, a 79 Mustang hatch that I run land speed events in. I have been 203 in the mile and 214 at Bonneville. Its an old 358 Ford engine with C3 heads, a toploader 4 speed with a Gear Vendors O/D and a 3.73 8.8. It is a production class. Carburetor, I/P, light, horn, wiper motor, etc. We are allowed an air dam. The Blown gas altered record is only 219 which gets me to thinking. How much help are wings on the back? I don't need downforce so much as I need less drag. The 214 pass had the engine at 8040 RPM and it felt to me like there wasn't a single HP left to overcome the aerodynamic drag. Calculations say I would need another 60HP to go 1mph faster. Maybe a used supercharger, 5 lbs of boost a wing, skirts and a belly pan and who knows, maybe the 4400 lb Fox can go 230..
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes sir they do.. Assuming here you're talking about the drag wing extension style... That is the way to go.

You also need to look at your side skirts... Or rather lack of side skirts. And tape up your hood line. The lack of side skirts I think is probably hurting you most. And you do want downforce... It won't slow you down, the drag is what slows you. So the most downforce you can make with the least drag is key... A drag extended wing will help the car body it's self be longer, which helps to create downforce with low drag. This is just how ground effect works. But side skirts are key to getting the most of this.

Yellow Bullet has always been an amazing treasure trove of information, so to do my part I will leave you the best PDF on the internet in my opinion on the topic of drag, downforce, and ground effect.

Take your time, read it through. It's the good stuff. Almost anything you want to know will be in here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
There a guy on the turbo forums ( think he is on here too ) who drag races an LX vert and he found his speed picked up in the 1/4 by removing the Saleen style rear wing and run nothing. I bet a capri bubble back hatch would help. You could also drop the drive train into a fox body bird!
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sir they do.. Assuming here you're talking about the drag wing extension style... That is the way to go.

You also need to look at your side skirts... Or rather lack of side skirts. And tape up your hood line. The lack of side skirts I think is probably hurting you most. And you do want downforce... It won't slow you down, the drag is what slows you. So the most downforce you can make with the least drag is key... A drag extended wing will help the car body it's self be longer, which helps to create downforce with low drag. This is just how ground effect works. But side skirts are key to getting the most of this.

Yellow Bullet has always been an amazing treasure trove of information, so to do my part I will leave you the best PDF on the internet in my opinion on the topic of drag, downforce, and ground effect.

Take your time, read it through. It's the good stuff. Almost anything you want to know will be in here.
The car was running production rules. No taping, no skirts, no wings. The air dam and hood scoop were allowed. The roof rails are mandatory on all vehicle running in a class whos record is over 200 mph. Skirts will definitely be making the next trip out west!

·
Registered
550 Posts

Info like this is what makes YB what it is. Continue…

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

If you start looking at late model SUVs they all have a flat wing off the roof so it woks. One racer noticed there wasn't a hood bulge restriction so he ran his all the way to the roof.
The reason they have the wing is to keep the rear window clean. Take a look at any vehicle that has a vertical hatch, when driving in a dusty gravel road the rear window is covered, add a wing on top, not so much.

·
A Senior Member
4,958 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
A lot can be done to make that car a little more aero. If you are not having a tire spin issue you will also need the HP. Always good to show up a BV with a little extra HP in the bag. You never know what kind of track and weather condition you will get. Plus looks like they may not run for a few years.

·
Registered
15,332 Posts
My take on this is, a "wing" can create a smooth path for airflow reducing drag.
Also you can add a "wing" to create downforce for traction. When adding a wing for downforce you are creating drag which must be over come with additional HP.

The first region is the traction limited acceleration portion of the track. This is where the acceleration power is so great that the wheels would slip if the throttle was held wide open. There is not enough down force to grip the wheels to the ground therefore the driver must ease on the throttle until they reach a point at which this is no longer a scenario where the wheels can spin. This point is called the critical velocity of the vehicle.

This critical velocity point is the transition between the traction limited acceleration and the power limited acceleration. In the power limited acceleration region there is so much down force that the power used to accelerate the vehicle is not large enough to spin the wheels. In other words, the normal force from the wheels to the ground multiplied by the friction factor of the tires is greater than the force generated by the torque from the engine.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
85,244 Posts
They won't work if you have twins in the rear with the outlets facing the ground...they'll create lift... :)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
View attachment 404865

The reason they have the wing is to keep the rear window clean. Take a look at any vehicle that has a vertical hatch, when driving in a dusty gravel road the rear window is covered, add a wing on top, not so much.
U just proved his point lol

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
This is just my opinion but tossing a 4" wing or 4 foot wing won't tell you anything until you know what's already happening as it is now. I suggest taping a bunch of 6" string pieces to the trunk, back bumper, roof and anywhere and use as many Go-Pro cameras you can to see what's actually happening. Then make a decision from there. Reason I say this is I almost lost a buddy racing when he decided to put a wing on the back of his car and at about 800 foot mark the car became uncontrollable and like on ice because the wing actually made the air "dirty" behind the car. That was at 150mph. Can't imagine what that mistake would have been had he been going 200. Again just my humble opinion. But know where you are at now before deciding where to go to next with aero. Good luck and great looking car!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts