Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems as though it's become common practice for bracket racers to nearly always split up posted purses when it's down to four cars or less. Especially true if the purse has a big drop between first place and most everything else. Not saying that I like it, just saying it seems to be common practice.

Do the heads up guys do this too? Just wondering. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I always split if the other guy goes along with it. Been racing heads up index the past 2 years and I have split every final round. Usually give the winner a hundred more than the R/U. The purse use to be 1500 and 400 so a 900/1000 split worked for me. I won't do a 4 way split unless it is a real big purse or I know all the guys still in or my stuff is torn up and nobody knows it.......LOL.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I always split if the other guy goes along with it. Been racing heads up index the past 2 years and I have split every final round. Usually give the winner a hundred more than the R/U. The purse use to be 1500 and 400 so a 900/1000 split worked for me. I won't do a 4 way split unless it is a real big purse or I know all the guys still in or my stuff is torn up and nobody knows it.......LOL.
I always would wonder about this too. If your car was broke and no one knew and you all agreed to split. How did they feel afterwards when you did not show for the race? Most of the time at the track I bracket race at no one wants to split. Its a 800 to win 400 RU.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
In indexes I usually offer or accept a split. Like said, usually something like $100 more to win. Have never split the final 4 cars though.

Sometimes I don't offer a split, usually if the other racer comes off as an asshole.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I usually offer the split whether I'm the faster car or not. Usually split heavy to the winner $100 or so. I say I usually offer the split because there are a very few folks that i would rather take 2nd place money than split with. lol

Martin

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I always would wonder about this too. If your car was broke and no one knew and you all agreed to split. How did they feel afterwards when you did not show for the race?
That was meant as a funny and to warn others about the fact it happens. My car has never torn up going to the finals but I have heard of guys asking for the split when they were in fact broken. Normally I know the guys I race with pretty well so we try to treat each other with some basic respect and honor.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
We used to never split.. 2 years ago we were running a 10.5 series and battling all year with a team.. we were swapping wins about every month and the Smacktalk was getting really bad.. at the end of the year we did a final grudge race .. the weeks leading up to the race the name calling got really intense and it looked like there might be a throwdown at the race.. We got to the track and bullshit flew.. the other guys crew was mouthing off and they had a posse with them. The race was 2 out of three.. The first race we dusted the tires and they won.. LOTS of shit talking.. 2nd race we swapped lanes and the other guy dusted the tires.. we went about 300ft and broke the input shaft .. The other guy saw that we were in trouble and got back into it and damn near ran us down.. but he could not catch us..
We could not make the 3rd round.. The guy and the biggest shit talkers in his crew walked over to our pit and handed us half the money.. We sometimes split the cash now..lol

MPK

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
We have at some tracks but not all. If the track pays in cash it is not so bad. If they do checks then check with the track owner first and see if they will write the checks even. I have learned that if the winner gets 800 to win and runner up get 400. Guess who gets the 1099? If you split you will pay $800 tax on the $600 you got. Imagine if you win a lot? If the track will split the checks before a winner is decided then it is good. Now with the NMCA you are also dealing with contingency.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've considered it on several occasions but I've only split the purse once. I was in a Q8 final against a friend, I went over and asked if he wanted to split. I must say that both of us were having an"ON" day. We agreed to race for $100, winner got $1300 runner up got $1200. Tree comes down, tranny brake releases I go about 40ft and the output shaft breaks........... Talk about a perfect time to split.

·
Registered
672 Posts
i never ask for a split. if other guy comes to me and asks, i always do. and most racers ask for a fair split. i dont like racing for $100 diffrence. but if its a friend then i will. if i go to a big money race i let my dad handle the splits, that way i can stay focused on driving and dont have to think about all those numbers.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have never split a purse in a heads up race in 7 years ..
even if the other guy was faster :cool:..
but I would split if I was broke..he..he..he

·
Registered
442 Posts
Usually I am so thankful to have the opportunity to split, I gladly do so. I even split with a guy one night when I knew he broke, then he asked if I wanted to flip for the trophey. I still have that trophey.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Depends on who's in the other lane. If its a good friend or there's a good purse involved i"ll consider it but never 50-50.got to be a little extra for the true winner! track must bill for taxes accordingly!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts