Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been commissioned to rebuild a "pro stock' camaro. it has been sitting for over 11 years. While it looks in decent shape. I need someone to talk to personally.
The cage is a jungle gym. Has a Strange rear & 4 link, 60" wheelie bars. It has been a while since(YEARS) dealing with these things but once i looked at it I got some thought process back.
My main setback is dealing with REPLACING the parts. At the current I do not even know axle spline etc.

My first & MAIN question is....
Can this stuff last, if not been used? I am going to be replacing the ends & such, but like I said considering it has never run would there be harm in keeping most stuff? I know anything bushing wise will be replaced.
As for the cage & suspension points. It is all very solid & 99% rust free, some surface rust on a few bars but nothing a repainting will not cure.

I just wanted to get this thread started & get this out here, because I have so many more sections I need to deal with, like....the entire car.

Here are some pics.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the car that was abandon i take it lol
It is not abandoned. I am the one that originally took that pic(from the abandoned thread).

The house was abandoned & was "recently' purchased a few years ago. The guy has owned this car for 11 years. But when he bought that abandoned house, he put the camaro there....so it appeared abandoned house/abandoned car. The neighbors * talked with never saw anyone there, so I would keep going by & just happened to catch him there yesterday unloading tile.
I gave give a quick "verbal" resume, explained a few things to him & gave some advice, so he asked if I could rebuilt it for him(with him helping of course). I accepted without hesitation.
Mainly because he loves drag racing & I have damn near nothing to do all day(retired).

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn it..IT IS THE SAME CAR!

Like I said I TOOK THAT PHOTO, that dragzine reported on(look at my reply as "Tom'..that is my name). I originally posted it on another forum & they posted the story, not my fault they regurgitated info that was not theirs. It was a simple post on another forum, that I found this car curious as it SEEMED abandoned & I told them I WOULD get more info. WELL I DID GET MORE INFO & I DID. The car IS NOT Abandoned.

I quickly explained the situ.(thought that was clear in my last post).
I talked with the owner & he wants me to rebuild the car for him.

Do I need to say this again?

So can the original question be answered, or not?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
It looks like just a ET car or Pro Gas with the 2X3 cross member and all, take it apart walnut shell it and paint it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I wouldn't replace anything until you knew it was bad. Obviously, the rod ends and such are never a bad idea to replace. I would start out with just measuring the car out and making sure everything is square. Then just dive in. Is there much missing on the car? Or is everything there, and just needs some TLC? Shouldn't take long to go over the whole car, if it is set up like a Pro Stock. There shouldn't be much 'extra' stuff there.

Looks like it has a a-arm front and not a strut. So just go through all of that. Depending on the goals for the car. Getting the shocks rebuilt will probably be necessary. Just to change the o-rings. Will also need to probably thouroughly go the the fuel system. Just sitting probably isn't the best thing for stuff like that and the oiling system.

On a side note, where in Panama City are you. My wife is from there. I love that place and can't wait to go back. Get a good drag strip running there and I may join you down there soon!!

Shawn

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RyonPro1,
Thanks thats kind what I am looking for. As far as I know they built it right. But of course I will check the sqaureness. I looked over all the welds & they "look" great. They were in the process of building a legit car, but the owner died mid-build so they stopped.
All suspension is there, brakes are there(but all rusted & they ar eno longer made so needs to be replaced) & all lines are installed. He has the chutes inside his house along with the wheelie bars & headers..along with alot of other odds & ends.

Yup A-Arm with Coil overs, all supposed to be from Competition Engineering. Rear is supposed to be strange coil overs & rear but Comp engineering 4 link.

We are going with a 2010 camaro body. This body is trashed. The roof was cut off...to do chassis work. I dont get that but oh well.

As for the engine. It was going to have a N20 Plate system. They installed the noids & some lines but thats it. They used a wood block spacer for scoop measurement i guess but never removed it & never got the plate installed.

All batter lines & disconnect are there, All MSD is there 7AL box, timing control 3 step module, etc. Take it all apart, check for rust & clean or replace what is necesary.
They never installed the Lexan windows, or finished the plumbing for the fuel system(as seen in the pics).
I told him to get it running just to do the basics. Clean up the carb, pull the pan, check it all out, pull the plugs, squirt in some oil, rotate by hand, prime the fuel lines, check for leaks & try to fire it up. I am just concerned about the Jesel belt. would it be worth the $150 & time just as a test fire?

here are some more photos(not all associated with the suspension or chassis).
If there is a proper forum for me to post all the photos I have please let me know.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

On a side note, where in Panama City are you. My wife is from there. I love that place and can't wait to go back. Get a good drag strip running there and I may join you down there soon!!

Shawn
I am in the downtown area right by the university.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts