Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started thinking about how to make decent bends in 1.5" O.D. X .050" wall frame rail tubing and 1.625" O.D. X .125" wall roll bar and front axle tubing. Actually I always used 1¼" IPS SA-106-B steel pipe for roll bar and axle, it being 1.66" O.D. X .140" wall. I wanted the bends to be about 7" inside bend radius so I started thinking about bending it around a piece of 14 " pipe, but I knew it needed something to prevent it from collapsing/kinking. I solved the collapse/kinking problem by machining a solid steel, egg shaped object that would barely fit inside the frame or roll bar and axle tubing. It was set up on a steel welding table with a piece of 14" pipe about 4" long mounted on an axle vertical to the table so that the tubing could be secured to the 14" pipe and the 14" pipe rotated in order to cause the tubing to bend. To prevent collapsing and kinking the "egg" was welded to a 20' piece of 1/4" pipe and the "egg" inserted inside the tubing to the point where the bending occurs and the 1/4" pipe secured so the "egg" would remain where located while the tubing slides over it during bending. The entire bender was made from 4-5 pieces of scrap and was manually operated. In the sketch I inadvertently left off a piece of angle welded to the table and located on the back side of the tubing to prevent the tubing from trying to sweep around during bending. I'm sure the egg could made using a stack of properly sized flat washers tack welded together and bench grind to shape.
http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=850&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=891

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Very interesting Moparitis, I suppose there was'nt that many different tube bender companys back then. A person did'nt only have to be smart enough to build a car.....he also had to be smart enough to make his own tools. I can tell by your cage on the dragster the bender worked really well. Thanks for sharing

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,429 Posts
my pines mandrel bender was originally made in the early 50's .......... and it was refurbished in 2005 for over 65k ...... egg idea sounds neat

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting Moparitis, I suppose there was'nt that many different tube bender companys back then. A person did'nt only have to be smart enough to build a car.....he also had to be smart enough to make his own tools. I can tell by your cage on the dragster the bender worked really well. Thanks for sharing
Thanks to you coyote and note below the bends at the back of the engine are "compound" bends in that they are bent up and inward. I made a scale model of the frame rails out of heavy wire and used a bubble level angle protractor to measure the angle the tube needed to be turned to make the compound bends.
http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=885

1 - 6 of 6 Posts