Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the supercharger forum but didn't get any feedback.

Their site says it's due out Feb 2011. According to what Lonnie Houde posted a while ago, it's supposed to displace something like 12.8 liters compared to the PSI C rotor's 7.4 liters. During dyno testing the DMPE made 28psi more than the C rotor at the same overdrive with lower outlet temps; 80-82psi at 9000rpm versus 52psi for the C rotor. It should be a monster if/when it's released. Anyone have any inside info?

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,328 Posts
Holly Shit! 80 psi? What temps were they reporting?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is already enough bitching over the C rotor. Can you imagine the shit storm that would ensue if these monsters started showing up in PX, XTF and the few Outlaw 10.5 classes that still allow screws? Lonnie said even the C rotor guys will be crying.

IIRC Lonnie said 32* cooler with 28psi MORE boost at the same overdrive compared to a C rotor. The numbers that come out of this thing are staggering.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a while since I read what Lonnine was reporting on this blower. I recall there being talk about an SFI cert but I can't remember for sure if there was one or going to be one. I think DMPE would be the peeps to answer that question.

If a cert becomes available and the blower is released on time, next year is going to be very interesting to say the least!

·
hyperformanceracing.com
2,247 Posts
Does this supercharger have a SFI Spec 34.1 certificate? According to the SFI website, they do not, which will probably keep them off of NHRA and IHRA tracks.
I'm pretty sure if they do realease this thing they'll have SFI in mind.

·
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
4,370 Posts
maybe a alcohol dragster can win in tad again with one of these....

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
I'm pretty sure if they do realease this thing they'll have SFI in mind.
Don't be too sure, Dan. Right now the ONLY SFI certified screw blower is the PSI and the older (re-certified) Whipple screw blowers. The newer big Whipples are not on the list.

Here is the SFI list of certified products by Spec number. The Spec for screw blowers is 34.1.

http://sfifoundation.com/ click on "Manufacturers"

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be too sure, Dan.
There is probably a bunch of turbo, nitrous and even C rotor teams in various racing organizations crossing all their fingers in hopes that you're right, George. :-D

The numbers Lonnie reported a while back from this thing makes a C rotor look like a 6-71!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Are they withholding SFI certification on these blowers because it does not meet certain safety-related criteria? Or is the NHRA using the SFI system to impede innovation and perfomance improvements?

Is there a clear test criteria required to be granted SFI cert?

Or are you completely dependent on the whim of the NHRA? (Blackmail for sponsorship . . . .)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are they withholding SFI certification on these blowers because it does not meet certain safety-related criteria? Or is the NHRA using the SFI system to impede innovation and perfomance improvements?

Or are you completely dependent on the whim of the NHRA? (Blackmail for sponsorship . . . .)
Or maybe you are looking too far into it and the company isn't ready for SFI certification?

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,328 Posts
Doubt it. Still can't match the efficiency of a turbo's centrifugal impeller.
and there is still the parasitic loss with the charger. I am sure a turbo can run at 80+ psi if need be.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts

Other than the PSI and earlier Whipples, these screw blowers lack SFI certification (because they failed the spin test) and are banned from NHRA events. They had several of them send impeller pieces up into the stands according to NHRA.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts