Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wiped outall the teeth on my msd dist gear looking for some ideas on What might have happened to cause this.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What kind of cam and what kind of gear? How long did it take?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about 10 miles let me explain
its a hydro roller and a msd dist Its been a while but long ago I put in the right gear for the cam

all was good when I had the dist locked out decided to unlock it and go for a ride gear got wiped out in about 7 mile

·
Registered
844 Posts
Is it an aftermarket cam? Billet core? If so, you need a bronze gear.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes billit comp cams hr 300 thing is when I yanked the dizzy to unlock the gear looked fine If memory serves me right it was a bronze gear

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll replace the gear I guess i am concerned about the fragments and where they will end up.looked at the cam gear as best I could didn't seem damaged

·
Registered
844 Posts
You need to find out for sure. I believe all MSD distributors come with an iron gear. So you, or someone, would need to install the bronze piece. If it is bronze on a billet cam and its gone in 10 miles, I would look into a possible oil pump issue.

Some Comp Cams have a removable rear journal and cam gear that doesn't use the bronze gear. Is that what you have?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thats my thought "the oil pump" which I replaced not very long ago the dizzy gear I am almost 100% positive is /was the right one. I put in a new oil pump when I replaced the rod and main bearings about a month ago.
But like I mentioned it was all good when with the dist locked .

·
Registered
844 Posts
So in 10 miles you have trashed all the bearings, the oil pump and the distributor gear?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So in 10 miles you have trashed all the bearings, the oil pump and the distributor gear?
NOoooo I certainly hope not!
but I haven't started it up since it died on me
another thought thats come to mind is this high volume oil pump I used

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
for that to happen that fast ..I'd put money on you bottoming out the gear on the oil pump...

put the distributer in and set it down against without the gasket.. does it go all the way down?

when you clamp the thing tight it puts an huge load on the gear to turn the oil pump...chews the gear right up..

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had this happen also. MSD is now using chinese gears on their distributors and they will wear out rapidly. 10 miles seems excessive though. Drop the distributor in without a gasket to see if it bottoms on the oil pump shaft. If it doesn`t, you should be fine.

I lost mine on a 40 mile drive to the dragstrip. When I got there. I pulled the distributor and borrowed a gear from another racer. I raced all day and then lost a rod bearing. Turns out the cam gear was damaged enough that it tore up the new distributor gear. The timing was far enough off at that point that it got into detonation.

By the time it was done I replaced the entire rotating assembly and had to go .010 larger on the bores. Make sure that your cam gear isn`t damaged!

The best way to go on a replacement gear is to use a GM replacement melonized gear and have it honed to fit the MSD. Also, remove the lower oring on the housing where it seals the cam galley and cut a small groove with a dremel cutoff wheel to lube the cam and distributor gears. Clock it in the right place so it sprays on both gears.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In an effert 2 possibly help someone else
verdict is not enough gap on the MSD dist collar
when tightened down it pushed the oil pump shaft hard against the pumps houseing therefore causeing unwanted friction and resistance.
thanks to all those that helped I owe you a COLD 1

and yes the msd 85551 dist comes with a iron gear

·
Registered
844 Posts
Glad you figured it out. You can buy nylon spacers to put between the dist body and gasket to keep it from bottoming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts