Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my camshaft in the bbc is a solid roller cam. the cam card says to use a steel gear. Now thats what i have is a steel gear and sat night it just eat 1/2 the teeth off. I was coming down the return road and woopped the gas and it died. towed back to pits and found. SO i guess the question is, i am having guys tell me it needs a bronze gear anyways?? is that true? or just stick with the steel gear. Im going to pull the motor and find if there was any mechanical failure that caused it to strip. it had 50lbs oil pressure just before it quit so i know that part was working, but no to say it didnt pick up something and lock the pump up. I have checked the pattern before and it looked good, u could see the pattern on the gear and didnt look to be eating it. oh the cam is a crane if that makes any difference. thanks brian

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks, is there anything else u think i need to check to be the cause of this? the only other thing i can think of is camshaft walking

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have the motor out. so far it looks like my oil pump drive is warped alittle. there is some scratch marks at the middle of the drive like it has hit the block somewhere. and the end where it goes into the distributer it has a wear mark 1/2 way around that u can catch a nail on. found some light scratches in the oil pump gears and 1 sliver of gear in the oil pan. my guess is that lock the pump up for a split second.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Yeah I would change the pump and make sure the pick up is not to close to the pan bottom, also make sure the dist is not bottoming in the pump by removing the gasket and see if it sets flat against the intake with out it if it does you should be ok

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. ya i think thats my plan, changing the pump and drive. im also changing intakes to. came accross a guy that owes me some money and he has a dart intake and a fogger.. wooottt. plate and fogger here we come.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
When the directions on the steel gear say to break it in on mineral oils, they are serious about it....I ignored that twice and ate up the gears in a few passes with synthetic oil, changed the oil for break in, and the gear is still okay after 2 cams and 800+ passes.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the directions on the steel gear say to break it in on mineral oils, they are serious about it....I ignored that twice and ate up the gears in a few passes with synthetic oil, changed the oil for break in, and the gear is still okay after 2 cams and 800+ passes.
ya i only run convental oil. valvaline is what i have been using.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a crane cam. dont know what core it is, i tried to look on there web site. but it has the suffix in the part number for a steel gear. im going to call them and see what they say to use.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok. sorry to keep going on. but i think i have decided on the cause. its the intake. if u look on the bottom of the dist. where it registers in the block it has a funny wear mark. like its been pulled to one side. so that would translate to the off set wear of the gear and the drive shaft markings. So i guess a new intake is in store also. thanks for the ihelp guys.

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
There are 4 different materials for gears. There is:
stock cast gear
Aftermarket steel gear (hard to visually tell from stock cast gear)
Bronze
and composite ( plastic)
MAny [people confuse cast and steel gears, a cast gear will wear very quick on steel cam, a "proper" steel gear will last much longer, make sure you had a steel gear and not a mislabled cast one.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
I vote polymer gear. Works with every cam material I have tried and wears like iron.

As to the commet about the distributor being out of line. That is fiarly beliveable as it can happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts