Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
I prefer to do it. I use a little more finesse. Also, he has a hip replacement and can't get down in the floor like I do. I open up the sink drain and snake from there. He does plenty that I can't do.

him with a bad hip you with a bad back, neck, pain meds, this would make a good Saturday night show watching you guys do home repair.

Tonite on Medicated Home Repair CG and friend attempt to unplug a sink drain........................................

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I like to do just about everything myself. It's good to be self sufficient and leaves more money for go-fast parts. Nothing worse than paying top dollar for someone else to butcher a job. Every time we have an appliance act up, the wife thinks it's time to buy all new ones. To her dismay, I hit youtube and ebay then $50 later we are back up and running like new. In the last year I've had to fix my fridge and Samsung washing machine. Both were easy after watching a couple videos. A nice fridge costs about a much as a decent turbo. I'll take the turbo...

·
Mother Hen
50,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
him with a bad hip you with a bad back, neck, pain meds, this would make a good Saturday night show watching you guys do home repair.

Tonite on Medicated Home Repair CG and friend attempt to unplug a sink drain........................................
Attempt? Did it.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Years ago I had a guy build a 12 bolt rear end for my nova. Thing made all kinds of noise. Same guy did one for my buddy with the same results. We said fuck it what’s the worst thing can happen it will make noise or break so we started doing our own. They lasted forever and we’re quiet. Nothing worse
Than paying somebody to
Do a job you could do just as good or better. I can take a car apart to
Nothing then put it back together so I’m shure I can fix the kitchen sink!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
in the future take a number 2 phillps screwdriver and slide the shaft into the hole in the lock ring and you can spin it loose.
Believe me, I tried it. I bent the screw driver an inch from the handle, that’s no easy feat. The Incredible Hulk himself must have cranked it on there. A few taps with the hammer and she spun right off.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
I have been trying to save money and do some stuff by watching the youtube.I usually screw up more than i go though but I try. The main thing nw I cant do is like stuff in the yard like I use to and i love working in the yard but, the heat and my leg isnt working with me right these days anylonger. I pay a couple to cut the main yard now. I weedeat the dog yard in between the weeks that they cut though.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I do smaller repairs. But I'm not doing a roof replacement myself. My time is worth more than theirs.

I also farm out HVAC. My guy's labor is reasonable and he can usually get parts cheaper and faster than I can.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Do you repair stuff yourself because you can't afford to pay someone else to do it, you don't want to pay anyone else to do it, you enjoy doing it, or you don't trust others to do it as well as you would?

Some repairs just are ridiculously priced for what they are doing. I don't enjoy repairing my things, but I do it quite often. If I am capable of doing the job, I'm going to do it myself.
All of those. A cheap set of tools, a Chilton or haynes manual, and knowing the difference between left loosey and righty tighty. Saved me some money and headaches. I'm not a master tech by any means but finding a talented trustworthy mechanic is a magic trick in and of itself.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mechanically on a car, I’m 90% in. Around the house if it’s tedious but seems easy I’m 50/50. If it’s complex an cosmetic, I’m about in for 15% lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In general, we do most repairs ourselves. I have found any job that I have ever contracted out, I am not pleased with the end result for what I was charged. In most cases, there is a significant lack of attention to detail. Besides that, I usually enjoy tackling those tasks.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts