Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I am a DIY person. Not so much to save money, but I enjoy creating and keeping things working. I have built cars, homes, electronics, and furniture.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
With myself family and friends in various fields , medical to dirt digging , there is not a whole lot that i need to go outside them for good advise at a minimum. If im stumbling on my furnace or ac , a call to my brother or friend will get me steered straight. Same goes for me as well ive fieled and helped many a time on inopportune timed auto repairs...
Whith a good group of people one hand seems to wash the other quite well.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I do most all of my repairs and projects myself. I built my home, shop and race car. I also do all of my engine transmission and rear end work. Welding and fabrication on all of my stuff. I do it for the same reason. Save money and do the job correctly the first time. Its almost impossible to find qualified people anymore.

·
Mother Hen
50,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I grew up with two brothers and my dad had a car shop most all my life. We helped dad build buildings and all kinds of stuff. There is very little I haven't been exposed to. That, coupled with a love of tools and not having any fear trying things I know nothing about, means I do a lot of my own repairs. Even if I don't do them myself, I know enough about the process to know what is wrong and generally what it takes to fix it. My girlfriends are amazed every time I fix something. Admittedly, I'm not physically capable of doing some stuff nowadays, but I did just get the parts to repair my washing machine and I just snaked the bathroom drains the other day, because they were draining slow.

I have always felt that women should at least have a basic working knowledge of stuff if for no other reason than to keep themselves from being taken to the cleaners by repair people.

I do not enjoy repairing stuff. I feel a sense of accomplishment once they are repaired, but I don't enjoy the process.

·
A Fine Example For Others
39,283 Posts
I grew up with two brothers and my dad had a car shop most all my life. We helped dad build buildings and all kinds of stuff. There is very little I haven't been exposed to. That, coupled with a love of tools and not having any fear trying things I know nothing about, means I do a lot of my own repairs. Even if I don't do them myself, I know enough about the process to know what is wrong and generally what it takes to fix it. My girlfriends are amazed every time I fix something. Admittedly, I'm not physically capable of doing some stuff nowadays, but I did just get the parts to repair my washing machine and I just snaked the bathroom drains the other day, because they were draining slow.

I have always felt that women should at least have a basic working knowledge of stuff if for no other reason than to keep themselves from being taken to the cleaners by repair people.

I do not enjoy repairing stuff. I feel a sense of accomplishment once they are repaired, but I don't enjoy the process.

So I take it your boyfriend just stands there and watches you snake a clogged drain?

Put the phucker to work or kick him out of the house.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I've found on my bucket trucks that I'm usually better qualified to diagnose and fix issues than any shop I could take it to. A list of reasons why NOT to take it to a shop include
1. They are not familiar with the machine and it will take them an hour to understand what the problem is (or not).
2. They will charge me a hundred bucks an hour for all the time they spend trying to figure out the issue plus the 5 minutes they spend attempting a fix.
3. My truck will sit at their shop for several days for the privilege of paying them to not understand what they are working on.

Just last weekend I finally figured out a problem on one of my trucks and fixed it in 20 minutes. The bucket would stop responding to the controls once it got hot. I ended up having to climb down out of the bucket and used the lower controls to stow the bucket, and it responded perfectly from the lower controls. This narrowed the issue to something in the upper controls. I took off the cover panels and started poking around and discovered the deadman lever in the handle wasn't engaging completely. It was also at the end of the adjustment. I rigged a spacer to stick in there and now it works perfectly.

I had this same truck in a shop for 3 months last year for multiple issues, this being one of them. They replaced the hydraulic pump for about $3K attempting to fix the issue and it didn't change a thing. I fixed it for free in 20 minutes.
Yup. Nobody knows my shit better than I do. And most shops take offense when you try to get them up to speed or give them the fix/repair stuff. Easier to just do it yourself.
(
Only a few things I don't do. Lay carpet, front end alignments on modern vehicles (although that's changing as well) and digging my own deepwater wells. Beyond that, not much I won't try.

And surgery, dental. I pay to have that shit done by the pros.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
I do not like to pay someone to do the job 80% I can do that myself.
I have found in the remodeling business that this is very true.
HVAC, plumbing, electrical I can do for 25 cents on the dollar and before all you tradesman get on here telling me I am a hack, I pull the permit, do the work and PASS inspection.
Sometimes I will have to fix something although that is rare anymore, residential is SIMPLE.
$2000 to upgrade electrical service, $300 in parts, inspection 4 hours done.
$2000 to plumb a bathroom, $ 300 in PVC, inspection a few hours done.
HVAC $9000 furnace and A/C, $3000 in parts no inspection 1 day done and my tie ins look better than 90% of the pros I have seen.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
Yup. Nobody knows my shit better than I do. And most shops take offense when you try to get them up to speed or give them the fix/repair stuff. Easier to just do it yourself.
(
Only a few things I don't do. Lay carpet, front end alignments on modern vehicles (although that's changing as well) and digging my own deepwater wells. Beyond that, not much I won't try.

And surgery, dental. I pay to have that shit done by the pros.

Me neither for what they charge. I look at some projects figure what it would cost to have done, then figure what I can buy specialty tools for and usually decide to doit myself.
I had a bunch of dirt to move it was cheaper for me to buy a used skid steer and do it myself, now I own a skid steer and dump trailer.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I do most everything myself. I paid to have my refrigerator repaired once. Another time I replaced the ice maker myself. I put in an entire new Central A/C condenser unit coil and line set last year. It cost me about 1500 for everything instead of the 6k the HVAC place quoted me. I won’t work on my new Volkswagens though other than a few routine things. I hate working on new cars/trucks I don’t k ow how the guys that do it for a living can do it. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
As many of you, I too much prefer to DIY whenever possible.
For all the same reasons, it seems unnatural to pay someone
to do work I can (learn) to do.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I have a client who runs a big oil change company locally. They had a synthetic blend made for them with their label on the bottle. I told my contact there that I changed my own oil but would like to use theirs. I now buy it directly from them by the case, just about $2/qt. which is cheaper than I can get parts store junk brands.
It pays to take care of your clients! I use 4 qts of theirs plus a qt of Lucas and a Wix filter, still less than any oil change places and I KNOW I'm being good to my engines.

·
Mother Hen
50,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I take it your boyfriend just stands there and watches you snake a clogged drain?

Put the phucker to work or kick him out of the house.
I prefer to do it. I use a little more finesse. Also, he has a hip replacement and can't get down in the floor like I do. I open up the sink drain and snake from there. He does plenty that I can't do.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
If he is holding the flash light for you just remember you have to be very critical of the light holder....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I was helping a friend fix something once.
He ask me if I knew what I was doing...I said no but it's already broke and we can't mess it up any more.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts