Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Mother Hen
49,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you repair stuff yourself because you can't afford to pay someone else to do it, you don't want to pay anyone else to do it, you enjoy doing it, or you don't trust others to do it as well as you would?

Some repairs just are ridiculously priced for what they are doing. I don't enjoy repairing my things, but I do it quite often. If I am capable of doing the job, I'm going to do it myself.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
6,026 Posts
When it comes to diy stuff, even a lot of car stuff I learned because I had someone else do it and they fucked it up. Oh the stories I have....

I make it a point not to rely on anyone.

·
Brewmaster
12,506 Posts
I try and do everything I can. Fix cars, paint them, fix stuff around the house, whatever. The house I bought needed a little electrical work so that was mostly taken care of before I moved in. One of the things "fixed" was a GFI outlet on the front porch. Whoever did the repair put in a used outlet and it buzzed. When I did the repair myself, found out it was used and it was warm to the touch, probably why it was replaced in the first place. I do as much as I can for a couple reasons, I know the quality of work I'm getting and I save money.

·
Registered
27,784 Posts
Depends on what kind of mood I’m in whether I do it myself or not. Fkn furnace pissed me off in December so I called the local heating and ac dudes and had them come install new furnace and central air unit. I shouldn’t have to fuk with it for a while. 😬

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Different reasons for different things. I fixed a garage door opener today because I had the time, ability, tools and a spare part I could rob from an old opener. A lot repairs I do because I know I can do them and don't really trust others to do them well. I put the first roof on my house but not the second. Once I priced the materials there was only $1400 of savings doing it myself. I did the water pump on my truck and struts on my car last year both because of price. It also is hard to justify paying to have something done when you have the tools and knowledge. Time and motivation is what I usually lack.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm at a point in my life that I can actually afford to have someone to do the work for me, but I'd still rather do it myself just so I know it's done right, too many places take short cuts and do shit half assed.
This. Every single time that I've paid good money to have someone do something for me on the house or vehicles they've fucked it up and had to redo it or I redo it myself. It amazes me to hear what coworkers pay for simple jobs. I got a good deal on a beater Jeep summer toy for the wife a couple weeks ago. We've wrenched on it together after work here and there and a couple days on the weekends. We've been having a blast and the work we've done would have been easily $3k+ in a shop and it would have been half assed.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Do you repair stuff yourself because you can't afford to pay someone else to do it, you don't want to pay anyone else to do it, you enjoy doing it, or you don't trust others to do it as well as you would?

Some repairs just are ridiculously priced for what they are doing. I don't enjoy repairing my things, but I do it quite often. If I am capable of doing the job, I'm going to do it myself.
Both. If you want it done right.... and people overcharge for their specialty all the time. And I'm cheap.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
^ why would you say that?

I'd bet that there's not a man here that wouldn't blow himself at least once if he could. Shit, if I could, I'd never leave the house!

·
rodent aviator
6,592 Posts
I've found on my bucket trucks that I'm usually better qualified to diagnose and fix issues than any shop I could take it to. A list of reasons why NOT to take it to a shop include
1. They are not familiar with the machine and it will take them an hour to understand what the problem is (or not).
2. They will charge me a hundred bucks an hour for all the time they spend trying to figure out the issue plus the 5 minutes they spend attempting a fix.
3. My truck will sit at their shop for several days for the privilege of paying them to not understand what they are working on.

Just last weekend I finally figured out a problem on one of my trucks and fixed it in 20 minutes. The bucket would stop responding to the controls once it got hot. I ended up having to climb down out of the bucket and used the lower controls to stow the bucket, and it responded perfectly from the lower controls. This narrowed the issue to something in the upper controls. I took off the cover panels and started poking around and discovered the deadman lever in the handle wasn't engaging completely. It was also at the end of the adjustment. I rigged a spacer to stick in there and now it works perfectly.

I had this same truck in a shop for 3 months last year for multiple issues, this being one of them. They replaced the hydraulic pump for about $3K attempting to fix the issue and it didn't change a thing. I fixed it for free in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My father and relatives were all DIY-rs and we grew up as that being normal. Fortunately some of those skills were passed down and between family, friends, and myself we can do most things. However, as I get older there are some things to get done by skilled trades (EX: concrete work, install new HVAC).

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
I pretty much do everything, its painful to watch someone you pay to do a job wrong, lol. One downfall is sometimes I will bugger the job just to get it working, plan on going back to finish it, you know how that works, lol. I have quit climbing the trees to cut themdown, let someone else do that , lol.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts