Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any good sources for parts?

Need weld in bungs, rail blank, some method of holding the rail down, and maybe a fancy drill bit for drilling the rail.

Everything seems pretty easy to find except the hold downs...haven't found anything that looks like it will work.

351C application with a 4v torker II manifold.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Ross Machine has form cutters, rail etc. Race Part Solutions has parts as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about hold downs? I found some that looked "rinky-dink" but nothing very solid looking.

I could make something and have it welded on the manifold...just hoping there might already be something out there.

Also curious if there would be any advantage trying to angle the injectors so they are spraying more toward the valve, or just put them in straight up & down?

Thanks for your help.

·
WHO DAT???
15,756 Posts
Anybody have any good sources for parts?

Need weld in bungs, rail blank, some method of holding the rail down, and maybe a fancy drill bit for drilling the rail.

Everything seems pretty easy to find except the hold downs...haven't found anything that looks like it will work.

351C application with a 4v torker II manifold.

Jeff, I have that "fancy drill bit" needed for drilling the fuel rails. But as for as drilling and placing the injector bungs onto the intake manifold, those will need to be done accurately. In my opinion drilling those holes should be done on a Milling machine or at the very least a drill mill!!! Also,the height of each injector bung will all need to be the same as well.... I would think fabricating a jig as to hold the injector bungs in the proper position while welding them in place would be the way to go, but maybe the guys in here have a better idea as to go about that procedure.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's up Dave:) I texted you the other day to inquire about said fancy drill bit, LOL.

Pat is having our engine machinist do it...he's got a bridgeport, etc. He hasn't done it before so I've been nominated to round up supplies and point him in the right direction.

What do you think about angling the injectors vs. going straight up & down? I doubt we could get much angle on them but probably a little.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,402 Posts
Racepartsolutions.com for the bungs and rail. They use to offer a YellowBullet discount, not sure if they still do.

The Ross machine drill bit for drilling the rails is a very convenient tool. The guy doing the work for you will love you if buy it for him. It saves multiple tool changes and puts a really nice radius for the o-ring to go into the rail.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
I have all the stuff including the machine shop if you get fed up and just want it done right. Custom rails and fully plumbed systems using crimp style AN fittings is all done in house as well. Send me an email to the address below if you need some help with the project.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We won't make that call until after we've screwed it all up and need someone to fix it.

J/K - if it looks like we are in over our heads you'll be the first one I call.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Really...it is a PITA DIY, get someone with the gear to do it. It'll save a lot of hassle with the right person doing it

If you can angle them towards the valve, by all means do, but rail location will ultimately dictate whether that can be done or not

That said, when I had my single plane done a few years ago.....the fucking idiot who did it left about a full inch of the injector sleeve/adaptor sticking into the bloody port ! Such a fuck up that was to grind down flush.
And the rail brackets he made for the lower set...were just utterly ridiculous and un-usable.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I just had to fix a fuel rail that was just saw cut and hand tapped crooked with no detail for the oring, the few I've done I always take the time to not fuck that up, to damn important,

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I just had to fix a fuel rail that was just saw cut and hand tapped crooked with no detail for the oring, the few I've done I always take the time to not fuck that up, to damn important,

Dead easy just to weld fittings on the end. Or some use NPT....I'd rather weld though. NPT sucks.

FFS Even the Holley rails I have at present werent even machined correctly for the o-rings, cheap chinese shite.
The taper was far too small, so the o-rings at one end of the rail got destroyed on tightening.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'd just send it out unless you want to invest in all the tooling.
As mentioned, either get the correct bit to create a proper o-ring radius on the ends of the rails or weld the fittings on.
Many conversions are out there that the machinist taps the rails and then does a simple 45 chamfer for the o-ring.
That is not correct or safe!

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I will try to dig up pictures, but I actually made a tool grinding jig for my drill press and an angle grinder that allowed my to cut a HSS drill bit into the correct shape to drill the fuel rails (from Ross), using a pilot hole and a non-cutting pilot configuration on the form tool. I also welded some tubing to some angle iron to make drilling jigs for injector bungs in the intake (the bungs I purchased from Ross), and then epoxied them in place with normal JB Weld. I've got about ten years of driving on this configuration on E85 without issue.

I used a master jig to create the hole pattern on the intake drill jig and on the fuel rails so everything was aligned.

I tapped NPT on the fuel rail but going back now I'd either weld or use a form tool, and I'd tap in the same operation.

Here, found pictures.

Grinder

Drill Jig - on an Oldsmobile the angle is 45* so this was super easy. On other makes with different head flange angles you'd need to account for that.

Clamps and epoxy - if I'd had a lathe at the time I would have made blanks to do this instead of potentially epoxying my brand new injectors into their bungs LOL.

This is all years and years before I could weld or had machine tools. Crude but evidently effective. At the time I remember seeing numbers of $1200 up to $3k to get an intake conversion done. I thought that was ridiculous! Now I know a bit more about what goes into this sort of thing.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
I do all my intake manifold work on one of my mills. I have a fixture I made to set all the bung heights prior to welding. I have an angle fixture I roll the intake over on to rough mill the inside of the runner flush then hand blend it with a die grinder. I have -ORB form tools from -4 to -16 as well as the size for the new -ORB style Atomizer Injectors I developed and are now available from Me or Billet Atomizer. I think they are by far the safest setup on the market when it comes to high boost, high fuel pressure combos. These were developed to put an end to the string of car fires caused by injector leaks stemming from engine damage caused by intake backfires, sneezes etc. All the plumbing is done with Earl's Ultraflex crimp style fittings and lines that use a flurolastomer inner liner that is impervious to all fuels, additives etc.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
ORB style injectors.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Very nice work. We have some hydraulic manifold work that we do at the day job in the 5-axis and I HATE those fucking port form tools. If anyone knows of someone that makes proper cutting geometry and a non-piloted design that is smaller diameter than the hole it is cutting (like a thread mill) I'd love to get a pointer!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts