Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I installed a new Weiand intake and a "new to me" carb for my 318. The tear-down process was straight-forward. Everything is fitting very well as I install everything. I get onto the home-stretch and begin to install the distributor... It will not drop down. I'm thinking that I may have to pull up the manifold and adjust? I've never had any issues with it before.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
How would replacing the manifold effect the dizzy? Do you have to pull the dizzy to change the manifold on a small block chrysler?:confused: I'm not a chrysler guy but I thought the dizzy did'nt go through the intake. I do know the oil pump drive shaft has the gear on it and not on the dizzy so it might have pulled up a little when you pulled the diz and it just needs to be put back in synk with the cam.:smt102

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Which distributor is it? It is probably out of sync. Most aftermarket distributors are not "aligned" as the stock ones were. You may need to move the drive gear 3 teeth. If it is the same distributor, will it reach the pump gear?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the distributor does not have anything to do with the manifold. I switched to a Mallory Unilite before I changed intakes and had it out on multiple occasions. I had to remove it in order for me to have access to the intake bolts due to brackets on the original intake (1977 318 2-bbl).

My theory was correct... Even though everything lined up correctly, there was still room for more movement forward. I guess I have to control my thoughts when I come across hurdles like this doing upgrades.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts