Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any problems with comp cams roller cams eating distibutor gears. it is a dart big block chevy block, comp cams solid roller with billet gear, msd distributor with slip collar. i checked my cam walk and its only a couple of thousands. my distributor depth is perfect, checked it a million times. heres the thing, ive been through a couple of bronze gears, it wears the teeth down and sent a crap load of bronze shavings into my oil. i called msd about their bronze gears figuring maybe they were too soft or something, when i told him it was a comp cams camshaft he told me that a while ago they did something wrong with their cam gears and they made their composite gear to fix the problem. i bought one and put it in, and with 20 minutes of driving around i pull the car in the trailer, reved it up to 5000 rpms and it rips the teeth off the composite gear. i had to rebuild the motor once because of this problem, when i had the cam out, i polished the cam gear so that there is no sharp edges, this didn't work either, anybody have any ideas on what to try or what to do. thanks

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
I know i found out quick years ago' You can't run a bronze or cast gear on most lines of hdy roller cams that comp made...You had to run a steel gear only..When i first called comp cams years ago they were blaming it on the HV OilPump and everything else & couldn't give me an answer...I called Ray owner of Modern Mustang at the time ' which is now with Memphis Performance or BTE...He sent me a steel gear and had no more problems...That cast gear that comp said to go ahead and use lasted about 5 miles and then the engine made a sound like a bomb and i got out and check everything & then pulled out the dist ' the gear teeth were paper thin...Well what was left of them...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a solid roller made back in 03. i never ran a cast gear with it and havent seen a steel gear (will have to look into). the oil pump is a moroso blueprinted pump, i don't think it is high volume and its not high pressure. the composite gear is almost like plastic and it didn't last long at all, luckily its warrantied for 1 year so im getting my 100 bucks back. the bronze gears never broke just after a little bit i had shavings in the oil and a little slop between the two gears. this motor is a royal pain in the ass to get out and im not sure if i wanna do the cam in the chassis, i hate oil leaks.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
my distributor depth is perfect, checked it a million times.
(depth meaning what, gear mesh?.)

I've seen this happen when there isn't enough clearance to the pump drive shaft. When you tighten the distributor down it puts pressure down on the shaft and on the oil pump causing a huge drag on the pump and results in the gear getting torn up. (VERY easy to miss)

Be very sure there is clearance when you tighten it up.. (especially with the slip collar type distributors).. remove the gasket and see if it sets flat on the intak WITHOUT the gasket in there.

mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked without the gasket and base sits on the intake. i had this problem for a while, i rebuilt this motor already once because of this problem, took the pump apart and it was perfect, would think you would see some kind of sign inside the pump. i looked and found crane makes a coated steel gear for a msd distributor and works with steel roller cams, gonna try that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
demag67, I just lost a dist gear this weekend, same deal Comp solid roller with MSD dist with bronze gear. also checked depth also good. With only 74 passes on this motor, don't know if I should pull motor or flush and go with that? This happened after third time run, was fixed, changed oil and filter then went two rounds with good oil press.
I haven't pulled the dist to see what the new gear looks like. My motor is also a pain to pull out and hoping to avoid that..........

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i believe it was actually the cause to my bearing failure on 3 & 4 main bearings before. it also happened after the rebuild, so i took the distributor out and ran a primer pump for about an hour or so with 2 oil changes, took valve covers off, even though clean i still sucked the oil out just incase some particles got up there and layed in the heads somewhere. i would drain your oil and see if theres any particles in the oil. if not your ok, if so i would run the pump without turning the motor over. i think my next attack on this is cutting two small grooves in the lower base of the distributor for extra oiling and putting a crane cams steel distributor gear in. they say it will work with a steel roller cam. gonna put a magnet on my filter and one on my pan. unless someone else comes up with a different idea before this weekend. if it destroys the cam i don't care, cam cost me enough already.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, i wouldn't recommend the comp cams composite gear, i drove around on street for about 2 hours, while in neutral i cracked the throttle a couple of times only to 4 or 5 grand. when i let off the throttle that was it, ripped the teeth right off.

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
You sure it is a solid roller ? A friend of mine thought he was running a solid roller & come to find out it was a hyd roller and he was running solid roller lifters on it...With a bronze gear....Thats why it never lasted long...

·
Registered
471 Posts
If your talking to me, I'm positive mine is a solid roller. The car is race only and hasn't seen the street in 20 years....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran a comp hyd roller and had the same issue. I ate up a cast gear and then was told by comp to run a bronze gear. You can guess what happened next. I ended up changing to a lunatti cam. Once the gear is messed up on the cam there is nothing you can do to stop it short of changing the gear on the cam.

·
color me gone
1,418 Posts
i'm thinking i might be on my way to the same problem with a comp cam my distibutor is feeling sloppy like the gear is waring out i hope not i really don't wanna pull this motor out to change cams but if it is thats what i will be doing i don't feel like messing with this shit i have never liked comp cams grrrrrrrr. but thank you for the heads up on the composite gear i was just about to order one

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Years ago I ran a Comp roller cam street/strip with a bronze hear and never had a problem. They must have changed something since then.

I got a Bullet cam this time around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts