Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use for their electrical system?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for recommendations on a electrical distribution block where you run your main power line to in the front of the car. Maybe Im confused everone does do that right? Or do they just run the main to the starter and run everything electrical off the battery. It seems it would be easier to run it off a block?

·
Registered
372 Posts
yes i would run a main line from the battery to starter..then have a separate line to your distribution block (8ga) and tap all your accessories to that

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warner, what do you use?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I run my main lead from the battery to a ford starter solenoid on the fire wall and then run a lead from that to the starter. run a jumper wire from the big post of the starter to the switch side of the starter. this way the only time there is current at the starter is in the crank mode. u can run off of the battery side of the firewall mounted solenoid to power the switch panel. works well for me and keeps it simple.kinda hard to see in this photo but look to the left side of the engine and u can see where the solenoid is mounted...hope this might help.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
I run my main lead from the battery to a ford starter solenoid on the fire wall and then run a lead from that to the starter. run a jumper wire from the big post of the starter to the switch side of the starter. this way the only time there is current at the starter is in the crank mode. u can run off of the battery side of the firewall mounted solenoid to power the switch panel. works well for me and keeps it simple.kinda hard to see in this photo but look to the left side of the engine and u can see where the solenoid is mounted...hope this might help.
thats what i do...i run a 4guage from the firewall mounted solenoid to a gold stereo distribution block....i also have one for my grounds.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Spaghettimenders.com sells some good junction lugs

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JShelton Thats what I wanted to know.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
You will decrease the life of the starter significantly having it wired like that. When you release power from the starter, it still is magnetically charged, and turns into a generator. It has enough power to keep your solenoid engaged a fraction of a second to a more than a second. The result is the starter goes from spinning at less than 6000rpm to spinning at upto 20,000 or more rpm. Not good for the clutches in the drive, or bushings or bearings.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
You will decrease the life of the starter significantly having it wired like that. When you release power from the starter, it still is magnetically charged, and turns into a generator. It has enough power to keep your solenoid engaged a fraction of a second to a more than a second. The result is the starter goes from spinning at less than 6000rpm to spinning at upto 20,000 or more rpm. Not good for the clutches in the drive, or bushings or bearings.
I've had the thing wired for 12yrs this way with a stock GM starter turning a 12.9-1 motor and have never had a starter issue! just saying it works great and the only time the cable going to the starter has currant is when its in the start mode! fords been doing it for how many yrs. now?

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
same here,i have never had a problem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts