Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a custom ground Comp Cams cam with a removable dist gear. How do I tell if I should run the cast gear or if I have to run the bronze gear on my msd dist?
Can I tell from the color of the cam gear? Its looks like a dark cast material now.
I can post a pic of the cam if need be.
I PM'd the guy that ran this cam and he said he ran a bronze gear; but to me the cam looks cast on the end but is a billet core for sure.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
sounds like a cast iron gear pressed on the billet core... its a good thing.. use it with stock cast distributor gear ....or when ever your not sure use a bronze gear on dist. comp should know also

·
Registered
51 Posts
Crower, don't your distributors come with a coated steel gear that's compatible with billet core cams that have a steel gear?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Crower. I am pretty sure its a cast gear so I will go ahead and run what I have.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
Crower, don't your distributors come with a coated steel gear that's compatible with billet core cams that have a steel gear?
I wouldn't use a coated distributor gear on a billet core with a high volume oil pump many people believe they need, with a standard volume pump a coated one is fine

I don't show any wear with a bronze gear, You have to use the Ampco Bronze. I also machine the HEI's for increased oiling. Even on MSD's

I really like Crane's Distributor, and they have them modified for gear oiling

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
Has any one used cranes steel gear made for billet rollers?
If I don't want an engine to be married to a bronze gear I get Crane Cams to put an iron distributor gear on the camshaft. I include it in prices of cams, they cost me $18.88 extra when ordering a custom camshaft, I don't make one cent on the iron gear since cores from Lunati (8660 Cores) and others have an iron gear on the cam. I also prefer the 8620 cams from Crane (Gold/Copper between the lobes, the coating to isolate the heat treat from the core)

The coated steel is good but I would not use it with a high volume oil pump due to increased loads on the distributor gear

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the good info. I run a standard volume pump from Percision but do spin it to 7,500 rpm. Ordered up a Crane distributor with the coated gear to try out. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, the distributor came in and the instructions say not to use the gear if any other material distributor gear has previously been run with the cam. Bummer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts