Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
A witness told Local 6 that he heard a loud crashing noise when the monorails collided.
Did they seriously put this in the article???

Sad news. RIP

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
When me and my family (wife and 2 kids)were down there ..They let us sit in the front both times on the way out of the park..That really suck for the guy that lost his life....The last thing I would want is to go to work and not come home..Rest in peace

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sad for the driver and his family, i thought there was some type of automatic system that keeps a monorail from getting too close to the next one. I've lived in Orlando for almost 20 years and i dont think theres ever been a monorail crash.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I had never heard of an accident before with the Disney Monorail, here is what the report said..

"It was the first fatal accident in the Disney World monorail's 38-year history."

Not too bad for 38 years, but still a sad day for the family of the worker who got smashed in that collision. I don't think that you could even escape the drivers area if you wanted to, so if you knew you were gonna impact, you could not even set the brakes and get the hell outta the front, there is no connection from the pilots area to the rest of the car.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
I don't think that you could even escape the drivers area if you wanted to, so if you knew you were gonna impact, you could not even set the brakes and get the hell outta the front, there is no connection from the pilots area to the rest of the car.
Hopefully, that will change. I'm sure they are already considering it, if not already working on it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What a sad deal. Did anybody read the comments at the bottom the first one talks about the construction of the monorail (not sure of its truth) heres what is listed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one final thing to say....

Most people do not know this.

The "CAB" of the Disney Monorials is made out of Fiberglass, Plastic, and Foam Insulation, and it "extends out" in front of the passenger cabin.....

It was designed this way for a reason.......

In the case of a collision, THE CAB IS DESIGNED TO BE "CRUSHED" AND ABSORB THE IMPACT... Thus allowing NO IMPACT to the passenger section of the Monorail, which is made of solid steel, with an impact-resistant fiberglass shell.

The CAB can be crushed. The PASSENGER CABIN cannot.... It is designed that way...

In other words, ALL MONORAIL PILOTS KNOW THAT IN THE EVENT OF A COLLISION, THEY, THE PILOT, WILL DIE IN ORDER TO SAVE THEIR PASSENGERS.

All prospective Pilots are told this, and given the opportunity to withdraw from the Pilot Training program.

Austin should be remembered as a very brave young man, who gave his life to save the lives of his passengers.

He was a HERO....

Required:
Login or
Connect or
Sign-in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts