Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The Disco Nova, the red headed step child. lol
When I was 16 my dad told me there was a Nova for sale in a field for $200 with a blown motor. (This was the late 80's btw) He said he would help me buy it - pay half. I was so excited because when you say Nova, most of us will probably picture a second gen Nova. Back then, I had always thumbed through all the hot rodding magazines and I really liked the second gen's. When he took me to look at it, I was so disappointed. I had never seen one before and I thought it was ugly!!! So big, so long and holy square body lines batman.
Well, he talked me into it and it took awhile, but it grew on me. Here we are today. Putting it back together after some extensive front end mods. View attachment 164991
What's the engine/trans combo?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Tore into my engine on Sunday. Found out that instead of being a 355, it's a 350... does have speed pro hypereutectic dome pistons good up to 11.9:1 compression. Was told it was a 13:1 engine but I kinda figured out it was probably 11:1 on it's best day before digging into it. Was told the engine had 6" h beam rods when in fact it's 5.7" powder GM rods... I researched into that some and found that the same rods I have, that was put into zz4 crate engines (which is what this engine is/was), are the same rods that are in the 602 and 604 circle track crate engines that we used to run when we raced dirt. So only good to 6500ish and around 450 hp, according to GM. We used to turn our 602 about 6500 or so and I think that's about what 604 guys turn theirs too. The crank, which I already knew, was a Chevy Performance crank and is the same as a 602/604 and zz4 crank.

Unsure still if I will stick with a 350 combo, unless it needs to be bored .030 than it will be a 355 obviously and keep running it the way it is until something happens but I think I just might go 383 with it and be done with contemplating what to do. It will be expensive to do it and do it with decent components but I think with these heads I have, I've already started building the foundation to going bigger and better on everything else. If I do go to a 383, the whole bottom end will be new with 6" rods, a new solid roller cam, these track 1 heads that I have, a new brodix intake, gasket match the heads and intake, along with a new balancer, good stud girdles and new headers. I'd like to stay with what I have, but I feel that going 383 will be better in almost everyway, except for my bank account...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Forgot how long it's been since an update.... Work was really busy but has eased down some since Christmas. 3 days after Christmas, I must've gotten a case of food poisoning. I think I'm finally back to normal now after a bunch of tests and a procedure to make sure that's what it was. I meant to take the block to a machine shop and start ordering parts for it until I got ill. Plus a $3300 electrical fix at home has to take place this upcoming week along with the medical bills I had and to top that, had a family member ask me for $1500...

So, not much has gotten done to the Nova recently. I have replaced the tail lights for led tail lights so that I can be seen easier at night with those tail light lenses that are on the car. I added back trunk weatherstripping to try and keep the trunk area cleaner and more sealed off. I've cut out some existing fuel cell brace/s and redid one piece to make it look better, seal off trunk better, cleaned and repainted underneath the car from about the firewall to the rear bumper brackets. Looks good again and most importantly is a little cleaner! I've made a little sheet metal box mounted to the roll cage that basically I'll just put my shoe polish, bottle water and hang my tire gauge from. That way the shit won't be rolling around in the floor! I think the next little project I'll try to tackle is redoing the brake lines at the rear of the car and make that better. Having zip tied brake lines to the axle tubes is not something I would've done when building the car!

I want to start building the engine from a 350 to a 383 real soon, but with everything that I've had going lately and the upcoming turmoil the economy is going to be in, I'm scared to spend the money. I think I'm going to try and recover financially and see how things in the world and life go... I'll try to snap some pics soon of the little bit that I've done in the past couple months. Hopefully soon I'll get this thing back running again, I'm ready to suck some gas and haul some ass!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Think I’m going to try and make a quick update video and upload to my YouTube channel soon but this’ll have to do for now.

This is how some people do brake lines (yes, I’m just as much as a dumbass for runningthe lines this way as I had almost 2 years to fix
as the car was being put together but better late than never!)

Now, here’s how I do it

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
This was also how they made the transition from hard line to braided. 3 fittings... I understand being on a budget or making do with what you have but damn! I just simplified it with a 3/16 inverted flare to a -3 as you can see in previous post.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I will eventually post pics and/or a video lol. I took off ladder bars and cleaned the adjuster threads and the heim joints. Had a couple develop slight rust, so I took I think 800 grit sand paper and worked that out while under the parts washer and was good as new. Replaced old heim joints on the ladder bar diagonal link with chromoly rod ends/heim joints. Painted the chunk and made it look good again. Went and got my new Hedman headers sandblasted right down the road today. I nut and bolt checked the entire car and greased fittings again. Then I took car to body shop a few minutes from me to have door alignment fixed. I've got hinges already but body guy wants to try and replace just the pins and bushings and see if that fixes it. If not, we'll go with replacing the hinges. Car is ready for the season and pretty much has been.

The engine we are just going to freshen up and keep it as 350. The double humps are getting freshened up and a little bit of work done to them, getting a slightly bigger flat tappet cam with new edm isky lifters. New team g intake that'll get ported. New pistons, new i beam rods, new oil pan, new timing cover and just an overall freshen. Going to keep this engine under 7000 like before but do expect to turn it a little more than 6200... lol Hopefully it will pick up a tenth or two and become really consistent. I just want to go have fun and not worry about spending money on building and maintenance on a radical, expensive engine just yet. Hopefully one day though! lol I almost forgot to mention that my valves were shot and the springs only had 70lb of seat pressure on them, plus #5 rod and piston were seizing up. So it was just a matter of when with it. Glad it got tore down. Hopefully the next update I have will be in a couple weeks of me either bringing the car back home and/or the engine going on the dyno. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Working on uploading a video at the moment... It's nothing exciting. Just a video of me talking and updating since the last video I made 9 months ago... Will post link here when it gets uploaded

Went on Memorial day to have engine ran on dyno. Long story short, had cam and lifter failure. Trying to rebound from that now. Looking at going hydraulic roller. I do not have the funds to fix what has happened, at the moment. Not really motivated to fuck with it either. Tired of trying to figure out what to buy, finding someone that has what I want when I finally decide and then trying to pay for it or pay it off on the credit card/s. I was really looking forward to seeing what it did on the dyno, having it in the car to test this week and run a 7.0 index race next weekend that I took off of work for a month ago... When it rains, it pours!

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Working on uploading a video at the moment... It's nothing exciting. Just a video of me talking and updating since the last video I made 9 months ago... Will post link here when it gets uploaded

Went on Memorial day to have engine ran on dyno. Long story short, had cam and lifter failure. Trying to rebound from that now. Looking at going hydraulic roller. I do not have the funds to fix what has happened, at the moment. Not really motivated to fuck with it either. Tired of trying to figure out what to buy, finding someone that has what I want when I finally decide and then trying to pay for it or pay it off on the credit card/s. I was really looking forward to seeing what it did on the dyno, having it in the car to test this week and run a 7.0 index race next weekend that I took off of work for a month ago... When it rains, it pours!
Sorry to hear of the bad luck man. I’ve been in the same situation and it sucks. If you want it bad enough you’ll get thru this and have a better car tho.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts