Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Going to give it another try tomorrow if I get off work in time and the weather looks good. Going to try different tire pressures, be a little more consistent on burnout length and rpms and lastly try a new to me staging/stalling procedure. If none of that gets the car more consistent, then I’m down to spending money before I get this thing right. Wish me luck if I get to go!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

Took about a month off from racing but got back to testing the car early this month. Started messing with carburetor but had another issue that caused me to think the carb adjustments were wrong and didn't figure out the other issue until after I went back to the old carb settings. I did upgrade the carb some too, so that was good. Tire pressure seemed to have been the key in getting the car more consistent. Also have been counting burnouts and running the car at same rpms in burnouts too. I've also started running the car a little warmer, I think I was a little too cool when going into the water box and I get it almost to the exact temp everytime now. The other factor is that I have learned the brake pedal much better and bumping the car in stalled up, inch by inch.

Last night was my 4th ever actual drag race and I went 6 rounds and was down to 5 cars until I red lit and had transmission failure when the car shifted into high gear. I was planning on it being my last race for the season before that happened but I doubt I have a choice now. Drain the trans fluid earlier and it still looked the way it did when I poured it in. Dropped the pan and very few, fine metal shavings in the pan. Looked inside it and it all looked ok from what I could tell. Going to give PTC a call this week to see what they say, but I'm willing to bet I'll be told to take it out and bring it up to them... Hopefully it won't be too expensive!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got transmission fixed. Front pump went out... So it got gone through and the converter too, so that's done. Now I'm getting ready to pull engine out. Going to go through it and see if we can find out why compression readings are low (125-155) and why my plugs look the way that they do. Going to be an expensive off season. It's like this shit will never end... Will try taking pics, or videos soon on the tear down.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Got transmission fixed. Front pump went out... So it got gone through and the converter too, so that's done. Now I'm getting ready to pull engine out. Going to go through it and see if we can find out why compression readings are low (125-155) and why my plugs look the way that they do. Going to be an expensive off season. It's like this shit will never end... Will try taking pics, or videos soon on the tear down.
Don’t get bummed out, this crap happens sometimes. Build it stronger than before and get back at it. It sounds like your pretty good at this stuff so hang in there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Don’t get bummed out, this crap happens sometimes. Build it stronger than before and get back at it. It sounds like your pretty good at this stuff so hang in there.
Not bummed out, was just hoping I'd have an easy winter since I've spent so much on it this year money and time wise. Kinda funny when I actually type it out that I was hoping it'd be an easy winter. lol If the engine is worth spending the money on, which I don't think it's really "hurt" that bad, I'll continue with it. If that's the case, it'll get Brodix Track1 heads, a solid roller cam and matching intake for the heads. $$$ It's currently got double hump heads with a flat tappet cam and pro comp intake. Will probably also try getting new better fitting headers from Hedman or Schoenfeld. Would also like to get an aluminum driveshaft or at least a new, good steel one but would prefer aluminum. Then it could also use a set of tires but it's not a top priority, especially until I know the engine and trans are working fine.

As far as being pretty good at this, I don't know about that. lol I might sound like I might have a clue but I think compared to some, I'm far off. I'm still learning, and am not fucking up majorly so far, so that's a good sign. I've got a couple of buddies who would be willing to let me take my engine to their place and help me rebuild this one. I just gotta decide which I want to have help me. One lives not far but has a conservative approach to engine components and might shy me away from buying really expensive parts, which is good and bad I think. The other lives 45 minutes or so away but might encourage me to spend the money lol. Either one I can trust I feel and the engine would do good with either one helping me along the way.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
Check out Shaftmasters for an aluminum driveshaft, custom 3" is like $385 or a steel one is like $260.
I have one of their steel shafts with 1350 joints and it fit perfect.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks Bruce, I'll keep them in mind. I got the engine out of it Sunday. It's sitting on the cradle waiting to move onto a stand and get torn down. Finally, Bought a spare wheel and tire for my trailer yesterday, so that's accomplished. Started today on taking the fuel cell out and cutting out the braces they had for the rear of the cell. What they originally had was about 2 separate 7" pieces of 1in square tubing running from the inside of the framerails. So there was a gap between the two square tubing pieces, which I didn't like the look of. I'm going to try and be smart about how I place this new 1 solid piece of square tubing I've got going from each side so that the fuel cell won't be too hard to get in and out of the car should I ever have to take it out. I've got an idea that may work out pretty well. Just might require me making new fuel cell straps, which I hate making.

I'll be honest, the chassis shop that built this car, or either the previous owners that had it and did their own "work" to it isn't that impressive to me. I just have fixed things or see things on it that I think to myself, "damn, if they could've just taken a little bit more time to have this one little thing nicer or even unnoticeable, the car would be even better than it is." I guess I shouldn't complain though. It drives well and has held up so far. There's some things I'd like to do to it but don't have the skillset or equipment to do what I want. If I could afford it, I'd put this car in a reputable chassis shop and have tinwork done to it and maybe a safer cage. Maybe one day!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)

Just reminiscing on this pic from the first ever trip to the track with it earlier this year. Hopefully I'll be able to afford upgrading the bullet that powers this thing over the winter and spring. I'm also going to try and make some changes to the truck to give it some more torque for hauling. It's a 5.3LS. I'm considering having it tuned or getting a programmer for myself, along with a gear change from 3:42 to 3:73 or 3:90 and maybe even some headers since the exhaust needs to be redone anyway. Would love to get a 1500hd or 2500 with a 6.0/4L80 combo but I can afford a decent one of those right now, so I gotta make this thing last and make do. More importantly, I hope we can all have a bunch of tracks to continue to race at next year!...

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
I have a 5.3 in my 2000 Sierra 1500 with 3.73 gears and it pulled my car/ trailer with no problems.
Tin work is not that bad, just make yourself some cardboard patterns first.
I bought an interior kit from S&W Racecars for my car, but there were a few pieces I either needed to tweek or make myself, which having forming equipment came in handy.
Take some time off, enjoy the holidays and then get back into it.
Later man....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

I don’t know much about heads but I feel like these are the best for my budget and application. Track 1 heads that SHOULD be the standard 2.08 intake/1.60 exhaust, 221 runners, 67cc. They look pretty good to me, maybe even very little run time on them. Pretty happy to have some badass (to me), aluminum heads 😁

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Stopped by a track doing tnt this afternoon on the way home from picking up the heads. Not too terribly many cars there. Pretty nice looking Nova and GTO there. Wish I could’ve gotten a pic of the turbo on the gto, that thing was huge!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
My advice from watching these passes. Dont spin the tires in the burnout box. It throws water up in the wheel wells that might drip back down on the tires. Roll through the water and do your burnout as far forward as the track will allow.
I've already decided to change that process next season. Less wear and strain on components by not doing it, imo. I did do a couple passes without spinning them in the water box one night but was in the habit of doing it majority of the season. Everyone is 50/50 on that theory it seems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've already decided to change that process next season. Less wear and strain on components by not doing it, imo. I did do a couple passes without spinning them in the water box one night but was in the habit of doing it majority of the season. Everyone is 50/50 on that theory it seems.
Its probably not hurting you with that much tire, but its a good habit to get away from.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

Not related to the car entirely but thought I’d share. My Simpson helmet doesn’t fit me like it used too. Got it when I was 12...

Got this new Impact in today. Will be able to see a little bit more out of it, I think. Also got it at a really great deal. If any of you are needing a new helmet and don’t care about getting a snell 2015 rated helmet over a 2020 rated helmet, now’s the time to get one before they’re all gone. Shop around on the internet and give some places a call. This is about a $515 helmet but I got it for $348, no tax or shipping 👍. I wanted to buy my favorite helmet of all time, the Simpson Vudo, but I decided to do the drag racer thing and save a few hundred bucks and put that towards the engine build so I can go faster 😂

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Disco Nova, the red headed step child. lol
When I was 16 my dad told me there was a Nova for sale in a field for $200 with a blown motor. (This was the late 80's btw) He said he would help me buy it - pay half. I was so excited because when you say Nova, most of us will probably picture a second gen Nova. Back then, I had always thumbed through all the hot rodding magazines and I really liked the second gen's. When he took me to look at it, I was so disappointed. I had never seen one before and I thought it was ugly!!! So big, so long and holy square body lines batman.
Well, he talked me into it and it took awhile, but it grew on me. Here we are today. Putting it back together after some extensive front end mods.
122141289_3725784074119667_5394776567763446761_o.jpg

61 - 80 of 90 Posts