Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's so much easier to load pics, I'll show what I've been working on and spending every cent I have for the past year and a half. First, a little background on how I wound up with this car...

After a night of some partying and escaping the chance of going to jail, I knew I needed to find a better way to spend my time. My choices were buying a Harley, finding a street car just to cruise in and have something to tinker with, or get back into racecars but yet trying something new, drag racing... I guess to be honest, I didn't have the balls to get a Harley at the time, so I checked that one off. I've always loved Chevy Novas, but more particularly, the 68-72/3rd gens. Finding a nice one of these as a street car, is getting hard to come by but when you do find one, be prepared for at least a $20k hit... Didn't have that kind of money laying around and I knew I didn't have the patience to just save up money, because I knew I'd spend it on something or go back to my old ways... I was scrolling marketplace one night, just for the hell of it and saw this Nova. It was a 1976 (4th gen), which I hated that body style Nova, like most do. I clicked on it anyway because it was a car listed for a price I could afford, even though I had no money from just sending my Silverado off to paint and body shop. Based off the description of the car and a few pics, it seemed to have potential. I see who has the car, and someone listed it for a friend of mine. Next day, I call a mutual friend and ask him if he knew anything about it and he told me a couple things about it. I said, "Let's go look at it, just for the hell of it. I doubt I'll buy it or even can work out a deal, but it's something to do since I have the day off work." I look at the car, I'm impressed with it for what it is and has some really good components to it. I tell him I'll call him in a few days, that I need to see what I can work out and really think this over. Fast forward about a week or so later, it's in my driveway....

Now about the car... it was turned from a street car to a drag car in 08 or 09 by a shop in Tennessee called Ice Motorsports after being bought off of a car lot in 07 named Maple Motors. The car left the chassis shop with a receipt of $39,900 and some change... It traded hands a few times until I got it in 2018. The car has fiberglass hood and bumpers, lightened up the deck lid, custom grill, tailight covers and b pillar louvers done to the body. Now here's a list about some of the components on the car:
Custom core support
Tubular TRZ uppers, QA1 Lowers, QA1 single adjustable coilvers front and rear
Line lock
Biondo electric shift solenoid with B&M Pro Stick
Sub frame connectors
Moser 9" 28 spline rear end, full spool, 514 gears
Ladder bar rear suspension
Strange disc brakes all around
The engine is a 355 4 bolt main. It appears to have once been a ZZ4 crate engine that someone turned into a race motor. Has a 750 Proform carb, Pro Comp intake, Double Hump heads that are ported and polished with 2.02 valves,13:1 compression 1.5 roller rockers, flat tappet cam with a 580 lift (previous owner didn't have a cam card or know much about the engine so that's all I know about the cam), double roller timing set, dome pistons, 6" h beam rods, Chevy Performance crank, and a billet distributor. Powerglide is a PTC built trans with 1:89 ratio, lightweight planetaries, hardened turbo spline input shaft, pro brake, deep pan, paired with a PTC 8" converter thats about a 5000ish stall.
Plan with this car is to primarily run 7.0 index, but with the way the races are going near my local tracks, it'll probably end up being a bracket car most of the time. The car has certainly grown on me and I'm glad I took the chance of buying it and putting it together. Always been around cars and used to race dirt, but never really worked on any of them simply because I wasn't too interested in working on them and I was never really taught how to or allowed I guess you'd say. The older I've gotten, the more I knew I needed to learn a lot of this on my own and have actually grown to really want to work on one, sometimes... lol It's taught me patience, something I needed! I'm certainly no expert, but I think I've came a long way on this journey by learning from a few friends, YB threads, my dad offering verbal advice lol and doing things the best way that I can with my limited budget and skill set. I really hope that I can finish this car soon and get a taste of drag racing and see if it really is as fun as it looks!
I'll start posting pics of it gradually with some updates and who knows, I may start doing a youtube channel with the car. So that's the story of how this Disco era Nova turned into what it is now known as the War Machine!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The day it came home

Had to take those ugly ass decals off within the first 24 hours of owning the car!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Cleaned and rattle canned the entire underneath of the car, eventually

My custom seat mount. Sometimes I can weld if I can actually see what I'm doing...

Seat belt tabs that I welded to the plates that are welded to the floor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Since I mounted the seat in a new position, I had to move the steering shaft over about 2 5/8" towards the center of the car to center it up with the seat. So I reinforced this bracket by welding it some and also using a steel plate so I could move the shaft bracket without having to relocate the original column mount that's already mated to the dash. Only had to enlarge the hole in the firewall slightly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Made a new gauge panel with an extra accessory switch to replace that old lexan piece

Then I wrapped the dash with black vinyl. Would've liked to have remade a dash panel for the car, but would've had to taken front glass out to drill out rivets... Not that big of a priority to me lol, so I wrapped it and it looks better than the dull, scratched aluminum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My electronics/ignition panel. May relocate the coil but on the other hand, I like the look of a clean firewall and want it easily accessable, so it may have a 6 ft coil wire...

·
draggin' ass
13,384 Posts
Looks like a nice and simple build! How fast is it at the track?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven’t been yet. Still have a little bit of work to do to it. The goal is to go 6.90s-7.0 so I can index and bracket race it. I’ve tried making it as nice as I can but yet not go way overboard because again, I’m not trying to spin the earth any faster lol. Will keep updating on here as time/work progresses. I’m on a break from it right now since it’s cold out and I only have a carport to work in...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Was able to finish the fuel line tonight. Wasn't able to do the back line like I wanted. If you look closely, you'll see that the 90 hose end coming off the inlet fitting is almost touching the regulator bracket... A straight fitting would've required grinding down the new bracket or doing away with the bracket and relocating the regulator, which also means making new fuel lines... so a 90 degree fitting is how I fixed that issue. Don't like the fuel line being that close to the distributor though, so may cover the line up with something later.

Used Summit Racing Brand PTFE Hose, Fittings, Filter and Line all throughout the car. Pretty happy with it but did find a few problems with the -6 parts I ordered. This fitting looks like it was scraped against the concrete before being packaged. I'm sure it'll still seal but glad I ordered a couple to spare.

This was a separate fitting. Noticed that this ring, leftover from machining, popped out when I tried sliding it over the hose. The -6 from Summit was definitely a pain in the ass versus the -8 I deal with a few months back that was a breeze to work with.

Glad that's done. Also mounted the tach and installed my new crankcase evac breathers and hose on it. Next step is getting my alternator, crank pulley and belt on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Got the crank pulley, alternator and belt on last night. Quick rant... why do companies send you parts with grade 5 hardware for something as critical as this? Ended up going to Tractor Supply to buy grade 8 bolts and washers for the crank pulley.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts