Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but here you can contact the DOT and tell them your situation and they'll have an elderly parent take a drivers test, which they won't pass. Takes the heat off you.
I've heard of this but never tried it. It would be nice if they had a hotline but that would probably get abused.

·
Idiot Savant
166,624 Posts
He really needs to stop driving. Car is wrecked from hitting a bollard early covid. Insisting that it is repairable against our wishes.

What can I do to disable his 2008 Escape that will convince him it wasn't purposely fucked with? Some main fuse or similar?
My ex wife hit one of those when she was 22.

Not knowing any more than that, I'd say leave him alone.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
6,669 Posts
Cut the brake lines... Oh wait, wrong situation...

Find a pin out of the ECM, pull a pin from the plug for a cam or crank sensor, hide the pin in the harness. It’s not gonna start, and he’s really have to look to find the problem. You could just unplug one of those sensors if he’s not one of those to look hard.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Cut the crankshaft censor. Where it's hard to see

No one will ever figure it out unless they take it off and replace it

·
Brewmaster
12,580 Posts
My dad's driving was getting bad the last 2 years he was around, scared me to ride with him lol. Bouncing off curbs, at night turning into the opposite lanes of traffic, nearly rear ended a car, a lot of other little things but no fender benders. Sad to watch the decline since he had always been an excellent driver.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not sure what it’s like in the states but here in Canada drivers have to pass a medical exam every two years after a certain age. All you have to do is make an appointment with his or hers doctor and explain the situation. The doctor will then talk to the parent and more than likely will not pass the persons medical. This way the parent can blame the doctor, not the concerned family. It is tough for people to deal with but this way nobody is to blame, except the truth......

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
He really needs to stop driving. Car is wrecked from hitting a bollard early covid. Insisting that it is repairable against our wishes.

What can I do to disable his 2008 Escape that will convince him it wasn't purposely fucked with? Some main fuse or similar?
Tell him you are taking it to the body shop for him to get repaired and dont bring it back.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A little back story. He's 86 years old and lives separately from my Mother, although she and my Sisters take very good care of him. Prior to the covid, he would go out most nights for a few beers and some Keno. Just as it started he was driving home late one night and someone walked out in front of him, he veered away but hit a bollard on the sidewalk. It knocked the grill and bumper almost off the car. The wires for the lower lights and the screws on the bottom were the only thing holding it onto the car. It looked like an open tailgate of a pickup.

As some of the restrictions were lifted he was anxious to get out and get his car fixed. He wanted to take it to his friends garage to repair it. We tried starting it like mentioned earlier but it wouldn't turn over. Buzzing noise inside, no lights, etc. I put a charger on it overnight but that didn't work. Figured we AAA it to the garage. A couple days later I'm taking him out for a few beers and he hits the remote lock and the lights blink! Surer than shit he starts it the next day and heads off to the garage where they tell him to have the insurance company look at it first.

Ahh, ticket to ride! He then goes off and heads to one of the bars allowed to open and has us worrying where the fuck he is. (On top of that the garage warns him of a coolant leak.) Fast forward, he calls the insurance company and gets put on hold for 90 minutes and finally hangs up and gives up on the insurance side of this. The other day he pulls this off again. Same story as above.

I've been trying to tell him that his driving days are dwindling. Seems to agree but then he'll revert back to wanting to drive the car. Between my Sister and I, we've worked out a deal of getting him out to the bars and back, but as long as that POS runs, he'll try it again.

I like some of the ideas mentioned, and more than likely will pull a fuse, but if I can conveniently kill that battery..... I'm taking him out again this afternoon and will ask my Son to swing by and disable it while we're gone. Any thoughts on killing the battery? We can open the hood without access to the interior.

Thanks for all your help and time to red my story. I'm the oldest at 64 and my parents are 86 and 83 years old. My Sisters and I are very fortunate to still have our parents. Keeping my Dad from driving will prolong this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glad Mom don't drive!!! Dad drove till he was 81! It took a State Trooper to put the fear of God in him to stop driving...........! He handed me the keys to his truck and said sell it! Got $500 for wrecked truck and dad wasn't happy!
Dad is gone now!

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,450 Posts
My father had a stroke and immediately tried to drive.

He parked in underground parking and left his drivers side door open when backing up and bent it completely backwards against the front fender after hitting it against a stanchion. We took his keys after that.

You need to sack up and handle the situation because if you seriously feel he is a strong liability to others on hte road, it's irresponsible to leave him alone. Elders hit a point where they just need their kin to step in and sack up. You need to just take his keys. You need to realize this before the State & or Attorneys get involved from an accident or death.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Aceshigh, thanks for your reply. I'll do that today.

Someone above said to limit his driving speed to 25mph. He'd be easily 5mph above his speed at that!

Thanks all. I'll update later...

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
OP let me add to my post #27. A guy I work with and his wife were going through the same thing you are with his father-in-law (wife's father) . One morning watching the morning local news as I am getting ready for work they are talking about an overnight car accident. I am sure you can guess the rest. The real sad part not only did his father-in-law die, he killed the person driving the other car. You talked/asked about how to disable the battery in your post # 28, what would stop him from calling AAA (as an example) and getting a jump start or have them put new battery in or maybe having it towed to a local shop to get it fixed? Do the right thing . The combination of mixing a few beers ( you said he likes to have) with the already slow reactions of an 86yo and on top of his diminished driving skills is a no win situation for him ,yourself and every person on the road. What you are describing is no joke, do it for the family in the oncoming lane or walking down the sidewalk. Do the right thing sooner than later. I am not just picking on you there are many many families with the same issue that need to do the same thing.
My mother had some medical issues when she was 74. myself and her doctor did not let my mother drive after he medical issues till she took a behind the wheel drivers course (the type a 16yo would take other than the parallel parking part) and was said to be safe by the instructor.
Side note I told/asked her treating Doctor to tell her no driving till she can pass a driving test. He (the doctor) was more than happy to work with me on that issue.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
A little back story. He's 86 years old and lives separately from my Mother, although she and my Sisters take very good care of him. Prior to the covid, he would go out most nights for a few beers and some Keno. Just as it started he was driving home late one night and someone walked out in front of him, he veered away but hit a bollard on the sidewalk. It knocked the grill and bumper almost off the car. The wires for the lower lights and the screws on the bottom were the only thing holding it onto the car. It looked like an open tailgate of a pickup.

As some of the restrictions were lifted he was anxious to get out and get his car fixed. He wanted to take it to his friends garage to repair it. We tried starting it like mentioned earlier but it wouldn't turn over. Buzzing noise inside, no lights, etc. I put a charger on it overnight but that didn't work. Figured we AAA it to the garage. A couple days later I'm taking him out for a few beers and he hits the remote lock and the lights blink! Surer than shit he starts it the next day and heads off to the garage where they tell him to have the insurance company look at it first.

Ahh, ticket to ride! He then goes off and heads to one of the bars allowed to open and has us worrying where the fuck he is. (On top of that the garage warns him of a coolant leak.) Fast forward, he calls the insurance company and gets put on hold for 90 minutes and finally hangs up and gives up on the insurance side of this. The other day he pulls this off again. Same story as above.

I've been trying to tell him that his driving days are dwindling. Seems to agree but then he'll revert back to wanting to drive the car. Between my Sister and I, we've worked out a deal of getting him out to the bars and back, but as long as that POS runs, he'll try it again.

I like some of the ideas mentioned, and more than likely will pull a fuse, but if I can conveniently kill that battery..... I'm taking him out again this afternoon and will ask my Son to swing by and disable it while we're gone. Any thoughts on killing the battery? We can open the hood without access to the interior.

Thanks for all your help and time to red my story. I'm the oldest at 64 and my parents are 86 and 83 years old. My Sisters and I are very fortunate to still have our parents. Keeping my Dad from driving will prolong this.
I've seen some guys put a sleeve of plastic inside one of the terminals if it's a top post. Just enough to look correct but prevent a connection.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
^new batteries come with plastic terminal covers if you want to try that route.

Pulling a Fuel pump, fuel injection, or ECU fuse would do the same thing.

Disabling a newer car is easy.

Good luck,
& I hope you can help him find something else good to do with his time instead of driving.

Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.

·
Mother Hen
50,774 Posts
Just sit down and be honest with him. You wouldn't want that trick played on you, so don't play it on him. If you are lucky, he has already had some level of realization that he shouldn't be driving and will agree to stop.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts