Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He really needs to stop driving. Car is wrecked from hitting a bollard early covid. Insisting that it is repairable against our wishes.

What can I do to disable his 2008 Escape that will convince him it wasn't purposely fucked with? Some main fuse or similar?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tried to start it a couple weeks ago for the first time. It was dead but there was a buzzing noise in the dash somewhere. Put a charge on it and it started. Damn, he had freedom! I want to do something similar, somehow?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You could wire a fusable link in the fuel pump lead and take the fuse out. Turnover all day, no fuel to the rail.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
That sux about your Pops but I totally understand your intentions. My Dad will be 79 next week n he gave up driving yrs ago luckily. Just try to enjoy the time you have with him. My plans tomorrow are to take my Dad to the local dirt track n enjoy the evening with him n what we both love to watch. Kinda get away from the current main stream total BS going on these days.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
I had to take away my moms car keys and later the checkbook, credit cards, banking crap and the phone.
YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE TROUBLE AN OLD PERSON CAN GET INTO WITH JUST A FUCKING TELEPHONE.
It was tough to do but it had to be done.
Unfortunately I do. We ended up shutting the phone off too.

·
Banksters Paradise
7,207 Posts
You said it's already wrecked?

If you mess with it so it doesn't start, he will figure it out. If the car still drives take it out and wreck it proper and say "oops" i couldn't help lose control, something in the suspension must have broken because of the previous damage and it steered the wrong way

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had this problem with my father, he had several small fender benders over a couple of years. We talked to him trying to get him to stop driving, but couldn't convince him. We feared he was going to really hurt himself or someone else. I finally talked to the insurance company and let them be the bad guys. Had them say they didn't want to provide coverage for him any more unless one of us was driving. We all took turns driving him around in his car after that.

It's very hard and stressful dealing with an aging parent. I'm just thankful Amazon wasn't around when my mother was still alive. No telling what she would have ordered.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
What really caused problems was my Grandmother had stopped driving after a small incident. Luckily the woman she hit was an illegal with no license so she said forget about it and left. Then a few months later she goes to the Dr and is having a really good day and the Dr tells her she is fine to drive. She kept leaving the lights on and killing the battery so we left it dead.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but here you can contact the DOT and tell them your situation and they'll have an elderly parent take a drivers test, which they won't pass. Takes the heat off you.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Unplug one fuel injector then after he drives it unplug another and then disable it all together, He'll think it was a gradual decline instead of all of the sudden it won't start.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts