Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took this video of the left rear a few weeks ago at a practice night. It allowed me to see a couple things. first that the rear end was leaking fluid which we fixed and second that the car wasn’t getting up on the chain limiter and staying there like we wanted it to .. We’ve been fighting a really bad push on entry. The car always seemed like it wanted rotate when you first started to enter And then just push like a freight train. We kept swapping and softer and softer springs thinking that would help our entry and it did to an extent.

After the practice night and watching the video we got the car into the shop and made some modifications to the limit chain I gave it a little more travel. Afterwords we put a jack under the left rear and one of us stood on the right front to simulate the car being in a hike up. And that’s where we think we found the problem. The shock was centered between the upper A-frame and when the car would roll over on the right front the upper A-frame would hit the shock body a couple inches into its travel. I relocated the shock and moved it out board of the upper A-frame and now the front end travels as it should and doesn’t bind up.

After we freed up the shock we changed springs again to a little heavier spring as the 550 would almost bottom out while jumping on the right side of the car. Hopefully all this frees the car up and I can enter the corner and drive off a little harder..

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is cool to watch your progression with the car. Keep up the hard work.
Not going to lie it’s been fun trying to figure this car out.. since don’t know who made the car we didnt have a base line setup to go off of like all the major manufacturers give in their set up books. We looked through a number of different setup books for different cars and kinda came up with our own setup based off of similarities between other manufacturers setup books.

I feel we have been making progress just about every time out. Eventually I feel we will get this car acting right then it’ll all be on me. Although some of the issues are probably driver induced. We will eventually run into a chassis and power limit as the car is older and outdated and the motor is 75-100 hp short of the top runners.. i plan to buy a shiny new chassis soon but for now this is a good learning experience

·
Registered
33,084 Posts
Yeah awesome man!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Surprised that there isn't any markings on the chassis to tell you who made it but I had a Larry Shaw late model that was the same way. Was told it was an 2003 when we bought it, only to have Kevin at their shop tell us it was a 97-99 after we sent him pics of the chassis afterwards...

Keep it up on the lr and that'll solve the tight/pushing entry. May want to think about adding another top bar on the lr of the 4 link to help keep the car up under braking too. Good luck, keep posting videos

·
Smart Ass Conservative
112,357 Posts
Looks like fun

·
Deplorable Basketcase
9,408 Posts
Looks like fun
oh it is..especially with 20 other idiots who don't know when to lift. :)

it hooked me years ago,kinda bummed though tonight..first practice was yesterday but too much rain this week caused them to cancel.

now we all just get to jump into opening night untested...yee haw!

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

it hooked me years ago,kinda bummed though tonight..first practice was yesterday but too much rain this week caused them to cancel.

Same here.. rain has had us down and out for a few weeks other than that practice night.. tried to race another track made 1 lap and started raining.. tried to watch the world of outlaws tonight in Jacksonville. Il and it rained out before the c and b mains started.. supposed to rain all week so this upcoming weekend will likely be a no go as well..

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

It’s been a shitty year so far. We all knew Matt was going to cancel though. Saturday was a nice day and he could have gotten the track ready for a session.

·
aka old_shoe
17,346 Posts
I've followed WoO since I first saw them in 1983. Dirt track racing is good stuff!

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tossed on a new set of headers yesterday morning as well.. the old ones were in pretty bad shape, multiple repairs done from cracks and still leaked. I’m going to actually make some supports for this set and hopefully keep them from cracking as well

·
Deplorable Basketcase
9,408 Posts
It’s been a shitty year so far. We all knew Matt was going to cancel though. Saturday was a nice day and he could have gotten the track ready for a session.
we made so many changes that I really wanted to get out..not the least of which is finally got the power we need under the hood.

I'm not a fan of fat Matt..and he knows it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts