Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few bikes over the years, and now have an older Suzuki 400 dirt bike. I am going to buy a newer dirt bike sometime soon and just wondered what is a good all round bike. I am not going motocross racing, but I do want a somewhat fast bike. I am looking at 250 to 400 cc and not more than about 5-6 years old at the most. So what are you riding?

·
Busy being a cunt
30,163 Posts
Nothing at the moment, but I'm trying to scratch together enough coin for a 2013 Husaberg te 300.............waiting :(

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
09 rmz450 and a 97 cr 250. I would go a ktm350 for what ur after, the 450 wears you out pretty quick on the trails if you don't ride often. Apparently still good power with less mass.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Between my brother and myself I think we rode just about every dirt bike or ATV that came down the pike between the late 70's and the early 90's. Some memorable ones include...

'76 YZ100......going from a Kawasaki KV75 to this was not a subtle step up. Peaky though, learned a lot about clutch management.

'81 RM125.....suspensions were evolving quickly at this point and the RM was a nice ride but underpowered/undersprung for me at the size I had grown to (6'4").

'83 RM465.....A favorite I wish I had back. Lots of low-mid range torque, plenty fast enough, simple air cooled with a four speed trans. Shook a little though, typical big bore. Rode it forever and it didn't ask for much, would re-ring it occasionally because I felt guilty.
With a fresh Metzler SoftCross on the rear it was an express ride on sandy MI trails.

'8? ATC200X...Who didn't have one and did anyone have one that didn't smoke?

'8? ATC350X...Workhorse, good torque, easy wheelies, could make anyone look like Doug Domokos.

'86 ATC250R...Lordy, fast if you knew what you were doing, could get you hurt quick if you didn't. These were street legal in MI for a summer due to being able to register them as a motorcycle. Wild but true, they closed that loophole in no time once guys started riding them down the main drags in Lansing.

'87 KXT250 Tecate....easily the equal of the ATC250 in my opinion, not very common around here though.

'87 LT250 Quadracer, fun, pretty fast but not scary, popular, everyone liked riding it.

'88 LT500 Quadracer....big, too big, good thing it had decent power 'cause it was....you got it...BIG.

'88 YZF350 Banshee....smoother power and if you were good with the clutch it paid dividends on these. All of us that grew up with RD/RZ 350/400's though these were the coolest.

'87 YFM350 Warrior.....Decent all around quad for trailriding. The electric start and reverse sure came in handy in certain situations and if there were any rookies riding they usually got to ride that. Not a good jumper.

'86 CR500....Eye watering, berm blasting power, third gear starts no problem and could destroy a fresh knob in a day's riding no sweat. Rear brake was a joke that was worthless when wet. Always felt like I was riding over my head so not all that fun but with a paddle tire you could rule the dunes with an iron fist.

'84 XR500.....agricultural power delivery, twin carbs (why?) made the throttle pull stiff and the bike wide where you wanted it narrow. Kind of heavy, not the bike you wanted to be picking up after dumping it on wet tree roots all day. Reliable, the dry sump didn't melt the dipstick like some of the smaller wet sump XR's did when you really worked them. Same rear brake as the CR, barely adequate when dry transforming into a ineffective squeaky noisemaker after a trip down the creek. Your friends would laugh hilariously when you tried to square off a turn and the only result was a loud "eeeeek" as you went barreling off into the bushes.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,591 Posts
None currently but had many over the years.. started out on a Z-50, then a SL-70, XL-500S, XR-250, XR-650R.....the last one was brute torque.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Bought this a couple years ago from the neighbor kid. His dad bought him a bigger bike, an RM85. I got it to zip around at home and the track. Anyhow, it's a 2002 KX65 and for a small bike, it rips.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I race Hare scrambles almost every weekend from May- Oct. Currently I have an 12' GasGas xc 250, and an 07' Honda cr125 that I use to train on during the week. I have had atleast one new bike every year since 1989. I think your best bet for a good all round bike would be a Yamaha or Honda 450. The newest that you can get, for the price you are comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts