Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little off the normal stuff, but I had a thought & need some advice. I'm replacing a faulty break a way switch on my trailer & I purchased a new one with a battery charger deal all in one which got me thinking...Is there any problem with hooking up the charge wire to the running lights with some sort of a diode in the wire? My thinking is this: The battery would likely last longer if "trickle" charged compared to letting it go dead & try to charge it back up. Instead of running a wire from the battery, alternator, ect. from the towing vehicle to do the charging through the plug...the connection could all be made on the trailer.
The diode would be needed, otherwise the the battery would keep the lights on all the time. My thinking is any vehicle with the regular trailer plug would be charging the battery when it was hooked up, not just one set-up with the "charge wire".
Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, problems? How about picking the right diode?
Got to be someone with some thoughts to share? I'm just thinking...go use the trailer & half of the time it's dark when using it...got to be enough to put some life back in the battery? Thanks, Lorne

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, Thanks for the effort! It's a 1986 Ford chassis motorhome. There are only 5 wires in the plug...#4 & #7 are empty. I realize I could run the wire, just was thinking there may be an already "built-in" way of doing it. Any other Thoughts? Thanks, Lorne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts